PDA

View Full Version : Got A Classic!!

Bazthemod
8th March 2005, 02:02 AM
Big Thanks to Mum n Dad!!!

Mini Rover - Rio: CD Player, Alloys chrome bumpers and the rest!

Going to collect it on Saturday so will post some better pics!! :)

Can't wait till december now :I just have to work on it and make little Rio perfect! :p

So can i slap a newminiscotland sticker on it or will it have to be a 100% BMW free?:evil::eek: ONLY JOKING <Dives For Cover>

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/87/ee/86_1_b.JPG
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/87/bc/a6_1_b.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/86/6c/fb_1_b.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/87/f9/e2_1_b.JPG

Mini Martyn
8th March 2005, 02:03 AM
Is that green and white or black and white? Very clean non the less!! :D

Bazthemod
8th March 2005, 02:10 AM
It's Dark Blue n White the right colours for the right team! :p

phantom
8th March 2005, 04:05 AM
Very nice indeed, I'll be looking out for you! :D

GAJ
8th March 2005, 04:27 AM
Very smart little car. Cool wheels! Does he have a name yet?

Heather
8th March 2005, 04:37 AM
Did you get that off the guy from the mini clan:question:

Mini Me
8th March 2005, 04:40 AM
Did it come in the original Corgi box ?:p

broken_brian
8th March 2005, 07:43 AM
oooo star mags nice wheels that was the other choice of wheels for my classic :cool:

Willie M
8th March 2005, 04:49 PM
Very nice indeed Baz. As Brian said, love the wheels :cool:

Burple
8th March 2005, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod

It's Dark Blue n White the right colours for the right team! :p

THat'd be Scotland then?

I can't think of any other team worth mentioning here that anyone else would have heard about....

;):D

p.s... Nice looking motor!! The boy done well! Same age as my old Classic as well...
:( Hmph.. I miss that wee car! You'll have to let me show you how to drive it properly!! ;););):D:cool:

Duncan Stewart
8th March 2005, 10:51 PM
Nice one Baz! :D we should form the Mini Rio owners club! ;), mine is a bit more standard than yours tho'. Does yours still have the psychedelic interior trim? :p The colour would be Pearlescent Carribean Blue :approve:

Bazthemod
8th March 2005, 11:46 PM
Yes the interior is rather 'Jazzy' to say the least it almost hypnotizes you! :clown::D Dunno weather to change that or not since everyone bangs on about it being a limited edition :question:

Burple
9th March 2005, 12:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod

Yes the interior is rather 'Jazzy' to say the least it almost hypnotizes you! :clown::D Dunno weather to change that or not since everyone bangs on about it being a limited edition :question:

Nope!!!

KEEP IT!!!!!!! ;):D:cool:

The only one cooler than that is the turquoisey tartan in the 'Sidewalk' limited editions!!!
(and I suppose the black and purple one in the Equinoxes huh BB???;):cool::cool:

Mars bar for anyone who can spot something out of character for the age of this car in relation to it being a Limited Edition... and not an aftermarket add-on. (Bri, you're not allowed to play, cos you will have spotted it already! ;):D)
Actually Duncan.. that should include you too!!! :p:D

Big Gordy
9th March 2005, 12:58 AM
Is it the side repeaters on the front wings:question::I :p:D:approve:

Burple
9th March 2005, 01:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Is it the side repeaters on the front wings:question::I :p:D:approve:

Oooh.. nice try... Close but no Mars Bar...
They've been on all fairly recent Minis from the Rover(ish) era tho :D

Big Gordy
9th March 2005, 01:54 AM
Please sir, please sir, memememememememememe..............:clown:
Is it the black door handles then:question:8):I :p:D:approve:

duncan
9th March 2005, 01:57 AM
Grand wee mini Baz, bet you can't wait for your first run in it :D

Ewan, is it the Clear front indicators?

sleepyrascal
9th March 2005, 01:59 AM

Either that or the wing mirrors. The stereo?

Burple
9th March 2005, 02:02 AM

Oooooooooooooh... and nope again!!!!
This one should actually have had Chrome ones tho!! ;)

Burple
9th March 2005, 02:04 AM
quote:
Ewan, is it the Clear front indicators?

Nope... easily bought aftermarket doo-dahs :D

quote:
Either that or the wing mirrors. The stereo?

nope... aftermarket bits like that are easily bought... ;)

It's something more of a technical nature.... :p

duncan
9th March 2005, 02:17 AM
The Choke?

Were most engines not fuel injected then?

Burple
9th March 2005, 02:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

The Choke?

Were most engines not fuel injected then?

We Have a Winnnnaaaahhh!! :D:D:D:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/36395000/jpg/_36395221_mars300.jpg

Fuel injection was pretty much standard on all new minis by that age :D (started in late 91 / 92). They were selling off the older models at that time by making a lot of Special editions with the slightly older spec and Carb Engines...

Lots more Tuneable tho!!! ;):D:cool:

duncan
9th March 2005, 02:30 AM
Woo Hoooooooo!!!!

You better tell all the whipper-snappers in here what a choke is now, Ewan!

MartinSullivan
9th March 2005, 04:33 AM
Well the little old lady that used to come into the garage where I did my apprenticeship thought it was the "wee handle to hold her hand bag". :D

Duncan Stewart
9th March 2005, 06:01 PM
Sorry to disagree LnL ;) but!!
- black door handles are correct
- Only Coopers became injection in 91, from 92 to 94 the non Cooper Minis (including standard Sprite & Mayfair) were 1275cc Carb.
IMO the best classic mini to buy are a non Cooper 93 or 94 Rover Mini as they have 1275 carb engines and the comfy interior with metro type seats.
When I get home I can start quoting references out of books :p ;)

Baz - I like the interior as it is black at a time when most non-Cooper minis had light interiors, I took a while but I now like the interior pattern. My ideal interior would be the black half leather one out of a similar age Cooper.

Duncan Stewart
9th March 2005, 06:07 PM
Can't resist posting a pic of my Mini Rio :D;)
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/70982669.jpg
Hope it works OK as I can't see the images at work due to our internet filters :(

Big Gordy
9th March 2005, 06:27 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh no mars bar for Duncan then:dead: Huh and l-n-l tried to make us think he knew what he was talking about:evil: We'll need to remember that next time he puts mars bars up as prizes;) :p:D:approve:

GAJ
9th March 2005, 06:42 PM

...remember that next time he puts mars bars up as prizes;) :p:D:approve:

I can't resist it!:clown: Puts mars bars up where as prizes!!:I

Big Gordy
9th March 2005, 06:48 PM
Getting a bit 'Marianne Faithful' are we ;) :p:D:approve:

Burple
9th March 2005, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Sorry to disagree LnL ;) but!!
- black door handles are correct

Really? THought this was only on the basic models (sprite) and chrome ones were everywhere else.... Hmm...

quote:
- Only Coopers became injection in 91, from 92 to 94 the non Cooper Minis (including standard Sprite & Mayfair) were 1275cc Carb.

That's bizarre... My mate had one which was a 93 model and it was injected.. but not a Cooper... Hmmm again!

quote:
IMO the best classic mini to buy are a non Cooper 93 or 94 Rover Mini as they have 1275 carb engines and the comfy interior with metro type seats.
When I get home I can start quoting references out of books :p ;)

You're certainly not wrong there!! :D

quote:
Baz - I like the interior as it is black at a time when most non-Cooper minis had light interiors, I took a while but I now like the interior pattern. My ideal interior would be the black half leather one out of a similar age Cooper.

And again.. the best interior to have! (except the MG Maestro :eek: seats I had in me Pick-up!! THEY were comfy!!)

Ah well... Glad to have the holes in my knowledge patched up! :D:D

Bazthemod
9th March 2005, 07:25 PM
Duncan do you have anymore pics of your rio, more of the inside and the back maybe? Just the pictures you see is all i have of my Mini :clown:

It is the looooooooongest week ever!:(

Was on the phone to the present owner he says it has a K&N filter and a big exhaust! :DThe guys says "He's a noisy little bugger!" :cool::D:cool: He also said that the wings have been cut to fit in the wide wheels and thats why the euro arches are on ... to cover them! :)

Duncan Stewart
11th March 2005, 06:35 AM
Sorry Baz no interior shots. I could take some but by then you will have yours anyway. We can have a good look at each others classics at the Hadrians wall run :D

Burple
11th March 2005, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Sorry Baz no interior shots. I could take some but by then you will have yours anyway. We can have a good look at each others classics at the Hadrians wall run :D

Oo-er missus...
steady on... ;);););):D:D:D

euan
11th March 2005, 08:31 PM
Oh, you lot are cruel. My missus wants a classic and now I want one too!

Your wee classic looks great!

Trouble is, she just wants a mini and I want an original 60's S. So, should we look at the suggested 93 non-Cooper model?

Duncan Stewart
12th March 2005, 05:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Trouble is, she just wants a mini and I want an original 60's S. So, should we look at the suggested 93 non-Cooper model?

I'd like an original 60's S as well but a decent one costs about the same as a brand new current cooper S - does that help ;):D
Loads of classics to chose from but a 93/94 non Cooper is a good all rounder - decent power (for a classic mini), comfy interior, cheaper to buy and insure than a Cooper and less likely to have been thrashed. Carb engine is simpler than injection and has electronic ignition so no fiddy points to keep setting (like earlier carb models)
Go on, you know you want one :D:p
Hope this helps

euan
14th March 2005, 07:41 PM
Cheers, it does. The originals are just too pricey (I've seen a few, usually in the old white which is similar to pepper white).

I guess this model is easier to "tinker" with? Ideally I want something that I can play with a bit and get my hands dirty, which is not something I've done before but my brother did loads on his Pug GTi and his Westfield so if he can do it, I know I can :)

Would a carb be a good bet for that?

Duncan Stewart
14th March 2005, 08:44 PM
In theory injection is supposed to be more reliable than a carb - not sure if that is true on classic minis as many injections seem to suffer from electronic gremlins.
If you plan to tune the engine then I think the problem with single point injection is it cannot be changed much(don't quote me;)) but a carb in very variable (mixture, needle, etc) to cope with engine mods.
Thus yes, there is more to "tinker" with on a Carb - even if it is just to improve the running of a standard engine.

euan
14th March 2005, 10:50 PM
OK, sounds good. Cheers Duncan!

From looking about, most of the older ones have been done up to look like Coopers anyway, so I guess it doesn't make much odds what you get.

Bazthemod
16th March 2005, 01:41 AM
WOW

Sorry for the late reply been sitting in the garage pretending to drive it! :I:clown:

The interior is growing on me but ive seen a coooool set of black leather doorcards and seat covers that would go with the black ash dash :D

CD player is amazing and is actually a week old... result :cool:

but

it now wont start coz the battery is nackered :( but we will revive him tonight!!! Also the gearbox oil seal is leaking all over the place:sleepy:

Simple jobs though at least everythings solid!

i'll get better pics soon too since the colour's miles different to the pics in real life 8)

Duncan Stewart
16th March 2005, 05:41 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying it Baz. :D
It is worth considering changing the oil before changing seals. Most quality oils available now are too thin for the A series engine. You want a good 20W50 oil such as Duckhams Q - I use this in my Rio and it stopped the oil leaks.
It's worth doing an oil & filter change on a car you have just bought anyway

euan
17th March 2005, 08:41 PM
My Dad's Cooper battery had huge problems, he ended up getting the electrics done as if he didn't run it for a few days the battery went flat. That was after he had bought a new battery which didn't fix the problem.

Had to jump start it a couple of times (always looked odd starting the mini with my brothers MINI as they look identical:)