PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Number Plate Surrounds

Wul
3rd July 2003, 04:59 PM
Has anyone bought the chromed plastic number plate surrounds you can get in halfords for £9.99? They also do coloured and carbon fibre effect ones.

Think it would look great on my black coop but not sure how good the qualtiy is? the ones in newminispares are £15.99 plus postage but i think they're plastic too!

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Big Gordy
3rd July 2003, 05:27 PM
Wul,I had a mate who bought a pair for his MX5 and he said they were pretty good. Best bet is to go into Halford's and ask them to give you one to look at. Shouldn't be to difficult a task to determine whether they are good or bad (quality wise). Just keep asking to look at another one until you find the two best ones they have ;) IMHO Halford's are becoming very competative, price wise for stuff like this. This kind of stuff is sold under the Ripspeed banner in the Falkirk store and they have been about for some time now. Made there name with the original mini 20 years ago :approve::approve::approve:

Julz
7th July 2003, 09:57 PM
Mine are from Halfords, they're braw!!:D The only tricky bit is fitting the front one cause you have to bend it to fit the bumper, so buy LOADS of sticky fixers (me no like drilling holes in my car!!) the holes in the front bumpers are a good fit, but my back ones are stuck on, so I moved the plate down a tad to enable better wishy washing of BabyB's dirty bum!!;):D

lightbody
29th July 2003, 07:36 PM
Bought a Halfords one this weekend but its still in the boot! Its a neat surround, doesn't have a wide bit at the bottom like some of them do - looks good. The screws don't fit the holes in the boot, and I'm reluctant to stick it on for fear that it'll fall off sometime and do damage to the car! I have "outdoor sticky fixers" - will they do?

Wul
29th July 2003, 08:16 PM
Rob - i bought one of the halfords ones too - my back number plate was screwed on - i only had to unscrew the plate slip it on and refix the plate on with the screws and it doesnt budge!

I would maybe inclined to clean everywhere and use a combination of sticky fixers and mastic - the fixers should hold it enough till the mastic goes off - but you should still be able to remove it without damage.

Big Gordy
29th July 2003, 08:22 PM
Don't know about the fixers you mention lightbody. My numberplate on my Mondeo is stuck on with sticky numberplate pads purchased from halfords and they have stayed on for about 18 months so far:)(touch wood) I also bought a roll of double sided sticky tape out of a car accessory shop for sticking my son's radio controlled car gear in but I cant remember who made it :I It had green backing.

Julz
29th July 2003, 09:28 PM
My back one is held on with the outdoor sticky fixers!! Just cover every available area with the fixers and they hold very tightly! even if you do pull the plate off due to boredom, or whatever, the sticky stuff polishes off! Using fixers also enables you to lower the plate a little which makes for easier cleaning!!:D

lightbody
29th July 2003, 10:24 PM
Wul - my plate is screwed on too, but for the life of me I can't get the screws to go in when the surround is on! It might just be my incompetence but I think its because they're not long enough when the surround is on (it goes behind the plate and makes it stick out more).

I'll try the sticky fixers... but my nice new number plate (with no dealer branding...) has holes in it now! argh!