PDA

View Full Version : God, Am I That Old

Mini Me
22nd February 2005, 11:04 PM
Went to see Paul Weller (man is a god):p:Dat the Armadilo last night (venue as crap , but the man is an icon and was fantabulous):D:D.
However, one off the younger members off staff asked me why i went to see the fat bloke from pop idol :dead::disapprove::disapprove:
Is it me or am i that old :question::question::question:

Scottie
22nd February 2005, 11:11 PM
na wonder:D:D

I'm going to see Neil Diamond;)

Burple
23rd February 2005, 12:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Went to see Paul Weller (man is a god):p:Dat the Armadilo last night (venue as crap , but the man is an icon and was fantabulous):D:D.
However, one off the younger members off staff asked me why i went to see the fat bloke from pop idol :dead::disapprove::disapprove:
Is it me or am i that old :question::question::question:

Nope it's not you...
It's the uncultured shallow youth who have had nothing but brainwashing by safe plastic mainstream bubblegum 'pop' music that is no challenge to the intellect that you have to blame for that one. Well... the music industry in general for perpetuating such 'musical' talents (HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!) of such 'Artists'<thud> (sorry.. fell off my chair with the giggles there> as Jobbie Williams, Steps, Britney (and all the other clones), Take that and all the other pathetic whiney boy and girl 'bands'* and any other useless waste of space who've used a Cover Version -of a song written by someone with REAL talent, rather than actually creating their own music- as their first effort in the charts

Surely to be termed a 'Band' you need to play your own instruments? ...and maybe even have the ability to write your own songs? you can train monkeys to do karaoke...;)

Anyone?? bring it on!...... :D
...oops... I think I better go lie down for a bit...

/rant off

:D:D:D:p:D

Heather
23rd February 2005, 12:25 AM
Ewan.....what have I told you about your coffee consumption?!?:D:D

Burple
23rd February 2005, 12:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

Ewan.....what have I told you about your coffee consumption?!?:D:D

Sorry mum... I'll go get another... :D:p

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 12:37 AM
Ever since Stockaitken and friggin waterman music has been on a seemingly inexorable decline due to souless marketing money grabbing idiots! The best bands don't even get a look in anymore unless they play some catchy hook and anything with any real feeling in it is lost in a sea of watery Coldplay tedium and banalaty! It's embarassing that 42 years after his death Elvis gets 3 number ones in a row! The pathetic thing is that it's not really because the music is awesome (although a lot of it is) it's because the competition are that mediocre and pathetic that even 42 years later Elvis stands out! It's pathetic that pop idol singles even merit getting released never mind making it to number one. Bring back the Jam, Stevie Wonder and anyone else with real talent, open up a school and send as many budding musicians in there that can fit and don't let them out until there's enough of them to mean that talentless pop idol karaoke saps aren't able to achieve amssive media coverage and number ones simply through a lack of option. Not only that don't make the only modern alternatives available to us Snow Patrol or Keane!

Scottie
23rd February 2005, 12:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Ever since Stockaitken and friggin waterman music has been on a seemingly inexorable decline due to souless marketing money grabbing idiots! The best bands don't even get a look in anymore unless they play some catchy hook and anything with any real feeling in it is lost in a sea of watery Coldplay tedium and banalaty! It's embarassing that 42 years after his death Elvis gets 3 number ones in a row! The pathetic thing is that it's not really because the music is awesome (although a lot of it is) it's because the competition are that mediocre and pathetic that even 42 years later Elvis stands out! It's pathetic that pop idol singles even merit getting released never mind making it to number one. Bring back the Jam, Stevie Wonder and anyone else with real talent, open up a school and send as many budding musicians in there that can fit and don't let them out until there's enough of them to mean that talentless pop idol karaoke saps aren't able to achieve amssive media coverage and number ones simply through a lack of option. Not only that don't make the only modern alternatives available to us Snow Patrol or Keane!

sorry big col got to pick you up on one point quite a big one really it's not been 42 years since ELVIS died.:D

GAJ
23rd February 2005, 12:53 AM
Elvis died in 1977! Not a moment too soon, fat squirrel eating waste of space!

Scottie
23rd February 2005, 12:54 AM
What I laugh at is that half off you are not even old enough to remember what decent music was:blackeye::D

only kidding ofcourse;)

you know who I miss alot and you cannae go past them it's the Traveling Wilburys a band that got to together now and then full of all the great legends of their time.:) and I've not heard one crap song from them.

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 12:57 AM
Another point about todays number ones is that it only takes sales of about 70,000 copies to get there:evil:(I think:I) In the 70's and 80's to get a number one you had to sell about 270,000 copies (again I think:Ibut you know what I mean;))to get even close:eek:
Did the 'download' charts not beat the 'normal' charts last week for the first time:question: :p:D:approve:

GAJ
23rd February 2005, 12:59 AM
They winnae be getting back together again now! Half them are deid too!;)

Burple
23rd February 2005, 01:00 AM
quote:[i]
you know who I miss alot and you cannae go past them it's the Traveling Wilburys a band that got to together now and then full of all the great legends of their time.:) and I've not heard one crap song from them.

Aww man.... Don't let this get out.. Shhhh.. but I totally agree for once!! ;):cool::D

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 01:01 AM
Apologies folks. It is indeed not 42 years. Typo when getting irked. :I

minidriver#1
23rd February 2005, 01:02 AM
all i'm saying is that at this years TITP, James Brown is going to have a field day wiping the stage with all this cack thats polluting our airwaves.

The Dogfather
23rd February 2005, 01:05 AM
Col et all, I agree 100% with your statements (bar Elvis) however, there are lots of bands which offer a real alternative to the pap that's in the charts - U2, Killers, Muse, FF, Goldie Lookin' Chain, Greenday etc.

The charts have always been a mix of crap (eg. Bay City Rollers) and the good (eg. Beatles), 50% of the population don't have any taste and will buy anything that's put in front of them.

Let them have their over hyped pop, and smile to yourself because if you listen to any music that's not mainstream you're part of the musical elite!

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 01:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

What I laugh at is that half off you are not even old enough to remember what decent music was:blackeye::D

only kidding ofcourse;)

How was Mozart in concert Fi? :D

Burple
23rd February 2005, 01:06 AM
Ever since Stocks Achin' and Water-Torture music

You got THAT right!!!! ;):D:D:D

quote:
Bring back the Jam, Stevie Wonder and anyone else with real talent, open up a school and send as many budding musicians in there that can fit

...And we'll call it the School of Rock!
It'll be a revolution... heh heh heh... ;):D:D:D

Burple
23rd February 2005, 01:09 AM
quote:

Oooooooooohhh....

A big 3 pointer from Waaaay outside the area from the big man!!

:D;):p

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 01:14 AM
" Nope it's not you...
It's the uncultured shallow youth who have had nothing but brainwashing by safe plastic mainstream bubblegum 'pop' music that is no challenge to the intellect that you have to blame for that one "

Oi little man ... enough!
Please don't tar us "youth" with the same brush! Unlike my tracksuit wearing school colleagues I have a good music taste!

Personally i'm a fan of Paul Weller the 'Mod Father' but in his Jam days, im also a fan of Northern Soul music and The Who plus The Kinks, Small Faces etc!

Hence the name BAZTHEMOD

Ohh yeh and i just got my Vespa and i'm dead excited!!! :D:D

So Ewan ill be round @ yours for a fight :evil::D:cool:

Scottie
23rd February 2005, 01:24 AM

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

only kidding ofcourse;)

now now big Col,

When I see your username I just want to burst out in that good old country music song BIG JOHN do you know it:question:

just cause I noticed your mistake with Elvis;) know need to go in the huff with me;)

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 01:25 AM
I'm not in a huff Fi. I'm chuffed that someone reads my posts. :)

Scottie
23rd February 2005, 01:28 AM
I'm not in a huff Fi. I'm chuffed that someone reads my posts. :)

even checked out your profile to see what age you were :p

I started working the year you were born:eek:

I know hard to believe don't look a day over 30;)

Burple
23rd February 2005, 01:29 AM
quote:Oi little man ... enough!
Please don't tar us "youth" with the same brush! Unlike my tracksuit wearing school colleagues I have a good music taste!

Heh heh heh.. oh the rage of troubled teens... ;)
By 'youth' I was meaning anyone of any age who liked - for lack of a better word- that plastic $h1te while growing up.. :D

quote:
Personally i'm a fan of Paul Weller the 'Mod Father' but in his Jam days, im also a fan of Northern Soul music and The Who plus The Kinks, Small Faces etc!

Good lad!! se! there is hope for humanity!!

quote:

Cool!! Gies a shot!!!!

quote:
So Ewan ill be round @ yours for a fight :evil::D:cool:

Aye.. .awright :D I'll be there about 9pm tonight after the Kickboxing... ;);):D:D

Burple
23rd February 2005, 01:30 AM
quote:

When I see your username I just want to burst out in that good old country music song BIG JOHN do you know it:question:

Bwah hah hah hah

"Big Bad Col......" ;):D:cool:

Wasn't that on an Ad for Domestos or something?? :D

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 01:35 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo don't have a shot Euan:eek: There terrible things to ride:dead: They wee wheels make them soooooooooo bad:( Get a shot of a 'real' motorbike ;) There soooooooo much better;) Down with mods cummon the Rocker's;) :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 01:47 AM
I always thought there was a bad smell on these forums now i know it was the dirty greasy slob aka Big Gordy! :D:p

Here you rockers stink! <Jumps on the scooter makes crazy frog sound and disappears>

duncan
23rd February 2005, 01:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod

<Jumps on the scooter makes crazy frog sound and disappears>

You almost had me convinced about your musical tastes, then you went and mentioned that!!! :eek::evil:

Bit of a Gordon Jackson in the Great Escape moment there!:p

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 01:56 AM
You've got nay chance of getting away from me on that thing wee man:dead: not when I'm hunting you down on my 1967 Tiger 100:approve: I'll just follow the smokescreen you're leaving behind you on that smell foreign 2 stroke:dead: :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 02:01 AM
You'll never find me in the smoke, plus you'll spring an oil leak and break down ... as usual!!!:cool::D:p

Heather
23rd February 2005, 02:15 AM

OOhh i like them. Can we see a piccy??

duncan
23rd February 2005, 02:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

OOhh i like them. Can we see a piccy??

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000YHFU4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:p

Burple
23rd February 2005, 02:36 AM
PMSL Duncan!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
HA ha ha ha ha ha..

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 03:37 AM
What you laughing at Baldy? Your just jealous coz you don't have any hair to use a hairdryer! :evil::D

Ohhh and Duncan that's no problem I realise thats the only big shot you've got! :eek::I:evil::D:clown:

Heather here is my noble steed...

http://www.bazthemod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/scooter.gif

<Whispers to self> Bloody Riff-Raff :p

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 04:48 PM
Heh...good one Duncan. :D

Where's all the mirrors Baz?

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 06:18 PM
Col its only 50cc im afraid the weight of them would kill the little thing!:I:)

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 07:35 PM
50cc :eek: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....I've got a hedge trimmer that's got a bigger engine than that;) (probably goes quicker as well:D)
Didn't know you could get a Vespa with a 50cc mowta thought they were all 125cc:question: Is it actually made by Vespa, the same Vespa that made the original phat ass one back in the 60's with the spare wheel under the engine cover:question: :p:D:approve:

Wul
23rd February 2005, 08:00 PM
Bin the veaspa baz and go for a GP100 - now that's a real learners bike!! Once got 70 out of mine slipstreaming the Fife bus on the A90! :p Cost me £100 to buy - £2 to fill up and did 60mpg!

http://www.gear4bikes.com/acatalog/0576.gif

Commuter bikes rule!! :clown:

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 08:05 PM
Yes sadly 50cc all im aloud to drive at 16 :evil:

Can't wait till next year to move up to a 125cc and get a bit more speed, jus now i get 40mph out it and 45mph going downhill with a strong wind!! :D

They are still made by piaggio, this is an ET2 it's an '02' plate.

GAJ
23rd February 2005, 08:31 PM
I used to muck about with loads of scooters when I were a lad! I had a Vespa PK125 and a couple of Lambrettas, a really old, half knackered Li which I stripped to the skeleton and painted bright yellow and a dark red GP 150. I was given the Li by a neighbour who had had it sitting in the garden for years!

All together now - 'I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat;
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.';):p

Heather
23rd February 2005, 08:55 PM
Baz, the scooter is beautiful, I especially like the paint. Is it the iridescent white? Your lucky to have something that nice at your age and the “grumpy old men” on this site are just jealous:p They are only laughing at the engine size as they know it would buckle under the weight of their middle age spread;). Enjoy:D

Wul
23rd February 2005, 08:57 PM
PMSL!:D Thought Gaj was cutting back the Guiness to fight the MAS!! :p

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 09:15 PM
Come on now Heather:eek:Its hardly a thing of beauty now is it;) I wasn't joking when I said they were awful things to ride (well the originals were anyway;)) Must admit to liking the wee aprilia racing paddock scooter thingy's though :p:D:approve:

GAJ
23rd February 2005, 09:19 PM
The originals are an 'acquired taste' to ride, especially the early 3 speeds! However they are undoubtedly things of beauty. Timeless classics!

Heather
23rd February 2005, 09:37 PM
Au contraire Mr G, they are beautiful. As is the unbridled enthusiasm of youth.;)

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 09:40 PM
ooh well said H! :approve:

GAJ
23rd February 2005, 09:58 PM
She was referring to me, not Baz!!;):D

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 10:52 PM
Ohh well:blackeye: with a bit of luck he'll grow out of it;)
Yes the original 3 speed did contort your left wrist into some funny angles didn't it, especially 3rd:eek: :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
23rd February 2005, 11:52 PM
Sorry for hi-jacking your post Iain :I

Yes Heather its called 'Pearlecent White' when light hits it the white turns to metalic blue almost like elctric blue! :cool:

Her's a few pics of scooters from the Stars n Stripes Scooter Club :)
Street Racers
http://www.bazthemod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/scooter2.gif
Mod Scooters
http://www.bazthemod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/scooter3.gif
The Skelly
http://www.bazthemod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/scooter4.gif
Not exactly the weather for scooters tho :(
http://www.bazthemod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/weather.gif

Big Gordy
23rd February 2005, 11:58 PM
Huh:evil:and to top it all he's just a "fair weather" scooterist;) Jings the youth of today, what are they coming to:disapprove: We're doomed I tell you, DOOMED :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
24th February 2005, 12:09 AM
Mods don't like getting dirty! :D:p

Crombers
24th February 2005, 02:14 AM
Wul , agree with the GP100. Mate of mine had the GP100 (the one with the disc brake - cant remember the exact model number , might have been "U") & he was always beating me on my trusted Honda H100. Have to say mine was better build quality though.

Vespa's , nope not my cuppa tea. handling was p*sh compare to REAL bikes.

Mini Me
24th February 2005, 05:22 AM
:eek:still think Paul Weller was fantastic...:p:D;)

Burple
24th February 2005, 06:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

:eek:still think Paul Weller was fantastic...:p:D;)

Who???? ;););):D:D:D:p:p:p:cool:

Bazthemod
25th February 2005, 12:58 AM
Yes The Who are good too Ewan! :p

euan
25th February 2005, 10:59 PM
I saw Paul Weller last year at Brixton - one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

Funny thing, age. I saw the Charlatens at Brixton a couple of months ago. The bloke in front of me would have been in his clubbing prime when the charlatens started out, and spent the ENTIRE night on something and dancing like he was still there. (His mate kept hugging everyone) You forget how much of a muppet you looked at the time. As this bloke was ripe for piss taking, I videoed him on my phone to laugh later. The REALLY funny bit was I got the train to work the next day and he got on at Clapham Junction, looking absolutly crap. So I showed him the video. He died of embarrasment :)