PDA

View Full Version : Poor Driving

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 05:54 PM
Dear all,

I'm new here so please be gentle (great site by the way!). The reason I feel compelled to write is that I was astonished by the driving of a new mini owner last week.It happened on the A1 going north from Haddington at around 12.15pm and at speeds of around 80mph the owner of a blue Mini cooper (51 plate, I'm not 100% but I think I could see silver stripes on the bonnet) decided it would be a good idea to try to race with me! Obviously, he didn't catch me as he was driving an inferior spec car and was not as good a driver as me but that's not the point.

I do not understand why some folk feel compelled to behave as if they are on a racetrack at all times, it does the reputation of safer mini drivers no good whatsoever. Would anyone here have a clue who the driver could be as I feel it is a matter of importance to bring it to this driver's attention the he should know his and his car's limits?

Many thanks in advance.
TT

macblob
30th June 2003, 06:25 PM
Errrrmmm, sounds a lot like my car.

What day last week TT? Depending on what day it was i would have still been in work

I dont recall trying to race anyone to or from work.

Wul
30th June 2003, 06:36 PM
Macblob - did you leave your keys unattended at any time that day? ;)

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 06:54 PM
The 'incident' occurred on Friday Macblob.

TT

macblob
30th June 2003, 07:12 PM
TT u dont happen to drive a Black Skoda Ovtavia VRS do ya ? lol

Tony
30th June 2003, 07:17 PM
erm, TT,...id watch what you say about 'inferior spec's and 'not as good a driver'.......comments like that can cause trouble down the line.........

and if you are such a 'safe' driver,....why were you dragged into a situation where this person WAS racing you,....but unable to catch you??? if you were driving sensibly,..surely this person would have caught,..overtaken, and then promptly crashed.

and if he was going at over 80mph,...but unable to catch you due to his inferior car, and bad driving,...just HOW FAST were you going?
or do we need reminding that the national limit is 70mph.

sounds a BIT like the pot calling the kettle black to me...

Now me,...well, i drive at sensible speeds in town,...but i drive like a freak in the country. i do it, but then, i dont wave my finger when someone trys to race me.

ive always been a black pot,..but i dont go telling the kettle he is too..........:)

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 08:04 PM
Hi Brian,

Ye caught me out, ya b###er!!

It's a Skoda, honest!!

Cheers
Hugh

P.S I do genuinely like the site and would like to wish the good folk on here all the best.Keep up the good work and if you all fancy going through 'the Skoda barrier' check out www.briskoda.net where you'll all recieve a warm welcome.

sh@z
30th June 2003, 08:09 PM
page doesn't work...

a mini is not gonne catch a skoda vrs on a motorway.. (thats the top one aint it?? i dont keep up with teh skoda's) ... but take it to the backroads and u woulda had it mate ;)...

You musta been doin well over 100 :p heheh

Glad you found ur way to the site, welcome :)

sh@z

KenL
30th June 2003, 08:15 PM
I followed a fast moving Octavia on a country road once and it seemed to be handling the bends very impressively for such a big car.

macblob
30th June 2003, 08:17 PM
Alright Hugh ya Skoda driving ejit lol

I thought it was u as i dont remember racing anyone last week on the way home lol.

Ill get u back for this one :p

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 08:18 PM
Hi Sh@z,

That's a fair point as I really like the handling of the mini from what I could tell from being a passenger in my friend's car (Macblob).The vRS would surprise you possibly on the handling front, but I'm loathe to go down the 'my car's better than your car' route (unless it was the case of deliberately winding someone up!! lol)

Cheers
Hugh

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 08:21 PM
Hi Brian,

Checked out your pictures and the mini is looking mighty fine with those styling touches.
I'm just waiting on an 'East Coast Skips' stripe for the Skoda.....(I'll start the jokes off!!)

Cheers
Hugh

macblob
30th June 2003, 08:23 PM
I feel a wee competition coming on

We should get some MINI owners and some SKODA owners together, sort this out one way or another lol

Anyway Hugh should u no be workin M8?

:D

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 08:25 PM
Brian,

You should know what my modus operandi is by now: get paid as much as I can for doing as little as possible.

Not served me wrong so far!! lol

Cheers
Hugh

macblob
30th June 2003, 08:29 PM
Sounds similar to me , talking of work I have to go soon worst of luck.

At least this thread has been good for getting my post count up :D

We will need to get together for a beer sometime

turbotaxi
30th June 2003, 08:35 PM
OK Brian tell SWMBO I'll see her later on and to get her finger out with the ironing!

That would be fine, I'll speak to your bone-idle, 'worse than a man down' co-worker tonight and we could maybe arrange something hopefully.Pass on my best to M and enjoy your graft today (just don't make the mistake of trying to race any tyre-kickers in a sooped up skip!)

Cheers
Hugh

sh@z
1st July 2003, 08:48 AM
lol, every car is good in one respect or another, and i think the skoda vrs is fkin awesome tbh :D...

i dont care much for the my cars better then urs also heh.,..

u know u want a mini tho ;)

sh@z
1st July 2003, 08:49 AM
a bit of a wind up is always fun :D

turbotaxi
1st July 2003, 04:17 PM
lol Sh@z,

I do really like the Mini in both Cooper and CooperS guises but I guess I had to go down the 'practicality' route with the vRS (the boot is enormous!!). If I was in the market again for a new car and didn't need a boot and a back seat I'd be more than happy with a Mini.

Cheers
Hugh

sh@z
2nd July 2003, 04:00 AM
yah practicality and mini dont really mix very well hehe :)

shaz

macblob
2nd July 2003, 05:40 AM
U got that right sh@z lol

The boot (glovebox) is bloody massiive lmao

:D:D:D

Big Col
2nd July 2003, 03:28 PM
It's not that bad! I managed to fit a shoehorn into it the other day. Took me ages to work out what you use to shoehorn in a shoehorn though. <glances about> <watches tumbleweed bounce past> I'll get my coat.

sh@z
2nd July 2003, 11:34 PM
dont worry, ill close the door on ur way out :) hehe