PDA

View Full Version : Speed Cameras

euan
16th February 2005, 08:42 PM
What do we think to this?

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149485&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149233&home=yes&contentPK=11843604

Monsta Mo Mini
16th February 2005, 08:54 PM
I'm not suggesting that he did....and I'm no expert on such matters... but...could he not have just changed the ECU back and forth when the car was getting tested.

...and what is the point of gettting a Scooby WRX if you're going to limit it to the same top speed of my wife's FIAT Punto!!???

I think that this is an individual case and doubt if it will have any bearing on other convictions.

Neil and Lorna
16th February 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi Euan

Fixed cameras at accident blackspots,in towns and outside schools definatley work and are justified.

The one I dont agree with is the mobile unit.
I was caught by it on the A68 on Soutra Hill not a House,school or anything apart from a wind farm for nearly 3 miles.
Im sure this could be better used in a more dangerous place.

Neil.:D

The Dogfather
16th February 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that a court cannot convict if there's any reasonable doubt......

and on this basis I'd say the there's a doubt about this devices reliabilty which would mean any conviction would be unsafe. Innocent until proven guilty!!!

Officer: - I'm charging you with driving at 60 in 40 zone
Driver: - But I was only doing 38
Officer: - My magic telescope says different and that's good enough for the courts to convict!

Julz
17th February 2005, 05:05 PM
Having used speed guns myself, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, and trust me, even throwing like a girlie, that's quite far!:kiss: These things need regular calibrating and going by experience, it's never done enough!:evil: It's not just faulty guns that are the problem, it's also the line if sight they use for reading it, as the further away you are from directly infront of the car, the greater allowance for error!

Ah well, good lucj to 'im!!;):D

euan
17th February 2005, 07:33 PM
My own view is that I have no problem with properly placed fixed cameras, but the speed guns have too many varients to be accurate. Although, I'd rather have a bobby in a car at 11pm with a gun who catches some drunk bloke than a camera which doesn't.

euan
17th February 2005, 09:43 PM
Updated news...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4270151.stm

Turns out, it was used at a range of 2000m when the company who makes it have a recommended range of 1000m.