PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Alert

mgemie
16th February 2005, 06:03 AM
Earlier today my warning light for my brake pads came on...now i've only had the car 13months from new - isnt this a bit short a period for going through a set of brake pads??!! Also, am i correct in saying that my brake pads aren't covered by my TLC package??

Mini Me
16th February 2005, 08:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

Earlier today my warning light for my brake pads came on...now i've only had the car 13months from new - isnt this a bit short a period for going through a set of brake pads??!! Also, am i correct in saying that my brake pads aren't covered by my TLC package??

Not covered by TLC, but 13 months ????
How many miles ????
How heavy is the left foot ???

mgemie
16th February 2005, 08:46 AM
13,300 miles....left foot aint that heavy dude...more like the right!!! I'm gonna take it into ma dealer on friday and see what they say...how much are new pads anyhow?

mgemie
16th February 2005, 08:58 AM
The waring light on the speedo is just for the brake pads not the discs is it???

Mini Me
16th February 2005, 09:22 AM
Should only be pads,but i would get it checked out......not sure what the average life is.
They don't cost much....£20ish

Big Col
16th February 2005, 04:36 PM
You brake with your right foot?

The Dogfather
16th February 2005, 05:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Yes, but very rarely!

Duncan Stewart
16th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Could be your inner rear pads - sticky handbrake seems to be a problem with new Minis.
My rears were changed at 24,000 miles and 15 months old, a week after the 2nd service (1st inspection service) :( - they are NOT checked in the service, they just check the outers and the handbrake works on the inners and the rear sensor is drivers side only (side less likely to stick, less muck :evil:)
Despite arguing this was not normal and should be covered on the warranty we were charged £72.93 for new pads.
How do I know all this? - The car is back in the garage today 7 months and 11,000 miles later with worn out rear pads, the passenger side is metal to metal and the disc knackered! I await to see if they try to charge us :(:(
NOT a happy bunny today!

Monsta Mo Mini
16th February 2005, 06:04 PM
Get the dealers to check your brake calipers. My rear pads went (24k) and turned out that the calipers had been binding on. Got new disks, calipers and pads under warranty. The fact that it got to the stage where it was metal on metal with no warning light coming on is quite clearly not right. Kick up a fuss as publicly as possible - usually works!

Heather
16th February 2005, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart
NOT a happy bunny today!

Sorry to hear that Duncan, let us know how you get on with the dealers.

KINGHORN
16th February 2005, 09:41 PM
13 000 IS ALOT more than i get out a set o pads, 7000 tops for me :(

duncan
16th February 2005, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Get the dealers to check your brake calipers. My rear pads went (24k) and turned out that the calipers had been binding on. Got new disks, calipers and pads under warranty.

Ditto for me, although it was only 1 side that was faulty, and replaced under warranty. Had to cough up for the other side. Similar mileage too.

Duncan Stewart
17th February 2005, 05:49 PM
After a bit of "discussion" :evil:;) with at Morrisons, Kirkcaldy I now have new rear pads, disks and calipers on the rear all covered by warranty :D. All done that day despite the car not being booked in - my faith in Mini has been restored :D:cool:
Also got the fronts replaced, light had not come on yet but I could see they were thin - got 35K out of them which I thought was OK as most of my driving is on fast, twisty B or unclassified roads so the brakes get used a fair bit.
Now driving like a granny until the pads bed in ;):p
How are you getting on mgemie?

Burple
17th February 2005, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Which one do you brake with? ;):D:p

The Dogfather
17th February 2005, 07:44 PM
His feet are so big that he can only fit one under the dash, toes to accelerate, middle to brake and heel to change gear.

Think of Sideshow Bob in the Simpson and you're there! ;)

Big Col
17th February 2005, 07:55 PM
Sadly ymy big feet are a bit of a pain when driving me wee motor sometimes. My toes occasionally hit the top bit of the brake pedal which causes a few panics...

KenL
18th February 2005, 10:03 AM
I thought it was only the front pads that had the warning thingy in them, that's the case with other cars anyway.

Pretty good they did it under warranty.

It is normal for the inner one to wear first apparantly as it gets applied first then the outer one is pulled in.

Duncan Stewart
18th February 2005, 05:38 PM
Minis from about 2003 have a rear brake pad sensor on the inner pad, drivers side. Mine is March 2003.

mgemie
23rd February 2005, 04:56 PM
After having my car into my dealership yesterday (tues) they've informed me that the calipers on the rear have semi-seized thus causing the pads to wear out exceptionally fast hence my pads replacement dash light at 13,000ish miles... they're replacing all calipers, pads etc under warranty..so i'll be losing ma car for a while on friday (sob!) Ah well another problem with ma motor...maybe i could switch to an S??!!!! minime??!! lol ;);):D:p

Duncan Stewart
23rd February 2005, 09:20 PM
Is there anyone out there with a new Mini that has not had new rear brakes? Why do BMW not admit to this fault and fix it?

mgemie
23rd February 2005, 09:46 PM
D.S. Is the brake issue really that bad?? OH-MY-GOD!! (Out of date Friends impression - soz) lol

phantom
24th February 2005, 02:50 AM
Mine was in to John Clarks for new discs and pads last Monday, my discs had corroded badly, cost me £185.:(