PDA

View Full Version : How to.......?

Craig
11th February 2005, 02:24 AM
........Remove the back seats completely.:eek:

a friend of a friend is looking to take the back seats out of his MINI as he transports some stuff about regularly and rarely has any passengers. I think Seany might have done this??

Any help, fact sheets, full instruction video etc would be most welcome.;)

thanks

Craig:D

The Dogfather
11th February 2005, 02:28 AM
Craig it's easy theres a bolt between the seats that you need to unscrew, then they come out from the sides like a bayonet light fitting. The bottom piece just needs lifting up at the front and comes away easy.

GAJ
11th February 2005, 02:30 AM
Courtesy of MINI2 -

To remove them:
Remove the seat bench, by first pulling up sharply at each front corner to release the clips there, and then yanking the whole seat bench out of the rear center clip.
Fold seats backs flat, headrests down.
Remove the 10mm bolt from anchor point between the seats.
Flip the catch plate on the top of the anchor point upwards freeing the seat pivots.
Starting with the left seat (there's a reason for this) gently pull the seat pivot upwards and free of the anchorage point but don't tip the seat upwards more than necessary.
While applying gentle sidewards pressure to the seat, inwards toward the center of the car (pull it from the bottom only level with the outer pivot point), tilt the seat fowards and backwards until it frees itself from its outer fixing point. The pivots have two pegs which pop out from the fixing point in the right tilt position (usually around 45 degree tilt forwards).

Take care not to move the seat too much any other way but forwards and backwards tilt, or the outer fixing point will break. Try to move the seat only as much it does when fixed in place, only allowing just enough tilt to clear the other seat when it pulls free.
Repeat for the right side.

To reinstall the rear seats work in reverse order:
Right seat first, left second. Notice that the left seat automatically shuts the locking latch when you push it home, that's why you remove it first, replace it last.
The 10mm bolt should be 10nm torque but hand tight is OK.
On replacing the seat bench, pop the two clips at the front first then with your fists together give a fast and sharp blow downwards on the seat just behind the seat belt anchor points. It should click home. If no click is audible just make sure the seat doesn't pull upwards at the rear.

NOTE:

The rear seat bench on 2003 models has a clip at each rear corner and is hooked in the middle at the back requiring at slightly different approach for removal and replacement.

Craig
11th February 2005, 05:48 AM
Thanks Paul and GAJ, I know SOMEONE would know.:D

seany
11th February 2005, 09:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

........Remove the back seats completely.:eek:

a friend of a friend is looking to take the back seats out of his MINI as he transports some stuff about regularly and rarely has any passengers. I think Seany might have done this??

Any help, fact sheets, full instruction video etc would be most welcome.;)

thanks

Craig:D

yes i have, you note well