PDA

View Full Version : Wul's Car Care Thread

Monsta Mo Mini
8th February 2005, 07:50 PM
Any queries regarding polishing, washing, Meguiars products or sheep skin underpants, our resident sa...expert will answer your questions.;)

Wul
8th February 2005, 08:17 PM
TRY THESE LINKS FOR SOME ANSWERS GUYS

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/knowledge.html

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/faq.html

http://www.bettercarcare.com

:)

Sheilz
9th February 2005, 06:13 AM
Dear Uncle Wul,
I keep reading about the two bucket method of washing the car but am not scientifically gifted enough to work out how it works. I hose Wee Eck down, then start washing him from the top down, paying special attention to his eyes, ears and teeth, then give him a thorough pedicure. I use Megs nxt shampoo and wax with the top up spray wax for when I'm in a hurry. Where am I going wrong?

;):D:D:D

Wul
9th February 2005, 06:46 AM
No probs Sheliz :) Taken from the Meguiars UK Website:

The 2 bucket method is basically what it says. You get two buckets to wash your vehicle, one with car wash solution in and one with just clean water.

Once you have hosed the car down with an open hose to remove any loose contamination you put the wash mitt into the wash solution and start at the top of the vehicle and work down. Every time you need to recharge your wash mitt with wash solution you rinse the wash mitt out in the bucket of clean water to help prevent contamination your wash solution.

Once you have finished this you “chase” the water off of the bodywork with an open hose from top to bottom which reduces the amount of water sat on the surface. Then all you need to do is dry the car off.

If you are using a sponge to wash your car then you can quite easily trap grit between the face of the sponge and the bodywork. This is what puts in most of those annoying "swirl marks" you can see in certain lights which are thousands of tiny scratches in the clear coat lacquer. A wash mitt has pile and gives the grit somewhere to go rather than just trapping it against the bodywork. Using the two bucket method further reduces the chance of doing damage, but clear coat lacquers on today’s vehicles are so soft that some marking is almost inevitable

An additional tip for the summer is to mix a small amount of wash mix and wash the wheels first then ditch this get a fill up of new and wash the rest of the car. This means you don't get nasty water spots when the sun dries the water on the roof and bonnet while you wash the wheels.

:cool:

Scottie
9th February 2005, 07:18 AM
Wul,

so you dip the mit in the wash bucket then wash a bit of the car.
then you put the mit into the clear water to rinse the mit before you put it back into the wash solution bucket then wash the car a bit more.

so my qauestion is this after washing the car a bit more you dip the mit back into the clear water right for the second time won't you be getting some of the contamination from previous dip in the clear water back onto the wash mit:question::cool:

KenL
9th February 2005, 07:54 AM
Is Wul an expert now is he? I thought he was just some saddo who hung out on the Meguiars forum:p:D

Meguiars is cheap cr*p really - they sell it in Walmart in the US at really cheap prices after all :blackeye: It is about $10 for NXT wax over there you know! BTW some Halfords branches will be doing a limited range of Meguiars soon.

Only kiddin' of course, it is good stuff. If you want to try a really good wax though get yourself some p21S Carnauba - lovely :)

Two bucket method is c great tip though. I was amazed at the amount of grit in the bottom of the rinsing (clean water) bucket when I first tried it. Loads at this time of year especially.

ps the NXT spray wax is rubbish.

Big Col
9th February 2005, 04:57 PM
Fi you don't obviously get a 100% clean mitt after ever dip in the rinse bucket but it still removes 90% of the dirt and grit which would otherwise end up in your wash solution.

To rip off Dr. Pepper. Try it you might like it. I mean what's the worst that could happen?

Scottie
9th February 2005, 06:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Fi you don't obviously get a 100% clean mitt after ever dip in the rinse bucket but it still removes 90% of the dirt and grit which would otherwise end up in your wash solution.

To rip off Dr. Pepper. Try it you might like it. I mean what's the worst that could happen?

Oh I already do sorry Allan already uses the two bucket method since I read about it on here a few months back but I just wondered how clean the second bucket would be after the first dip. As I stand and watch Allan wash my car gives me sometime to think about these things:p:D

Wul
9th February 2005, 06:00 PM
Heh Heh - good to see your still hangin around these parts Ken!! :)

Fi as col says you don't get a 100% clean mitt - but also make sure you dont't put the mitt right down to the bottom of the rinse bucket or you'll stir up all the grit at the bottom - stick to the top half and the water should still be pretty clean. Try it and you'll see what we mean. :)

Ken - i know what you mean re the prices of Megs - but have you ever looked at the Zaino prices!! $10 over there and £30 over here!!! :eek:

Glad your liking the P21S - nearly bought some myself but opted for the Megs #16 pure Carnuba wax instead - seen good results for it applied over NXT - hoping to get some on the car this weekend.

As for the NXT spray wax - this is meant as a top-up and not a full wax - don't let it dry in or it's a bugger to buff off but use it when the car is wet and it works not too bad.

Scottie
9th February 2005, 06:10 PM
Getting the cabrio back from the bodyshop today.

It took 3 days first they use cutting polish then they wax the car but had to leave a few hours between coats and they done three coats of wax. What kind of wax is that then:question: dose now mean that we will no longer be able to use the clay bar on the car would this get rid on their wax.:question:

I'm just wanting to keep Allan right all this stuff can get a bit confusing:(

Wul
9th February 2005, 06:20 PM
Fi - they probably put something like diamondbrite or another sealant system on it - it's up to you really but the car shouldn't need clayed till after the summer now - unless you spend your life following tar lorries!! :eek: Yes the clay bar will remove the wax/sealant but i wouldn't do it as your paintwork should be smooooooooth as a babies bum just now anyway!

Big Gordy
9th February 2005, 10:31 PM
Got my Maguires 'bucket' today Wul :) It comes with the gold class stuff so didn't bother with the NXT. I'll get it when the gold class runs out :p:D:approve:

Sheilz
9th February 2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks Wul. Too late to try this today but will have a go next time. :D:D:D:D

Scottie
17th February 2005, 06:19 AM
SWISSOL. Wul I've never heard of this have you any idea what it's like:question:

Tam1314
17th February 2005, 06:43 AM
Ok, car has been polished with NXT Tech Wax and looks great, should l go over the top with Carnuba Wax now

Wul
17th February 2005, 08:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tam1314

Ok, car has been polished with NXT Tech Wax and looks great, should l go over the top with Carnuba Wax now

If it's a pure carnuba wax then go for it Tam - trying to top mine with megs #16 but cannae get the weather for it yet!:(

Wul
17th February 2005, 08:39 PM
Fiona - check This (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40724&highlight=Swissol) out - appears to be part of the zymol family but a bit more expensive!! :eek:

Wul
21st February 2005, 11:17 PM
To answer LnL's Q re stripping wax off there are various ways:

For paint in good nick (ie new) with no tar spots etc then simply a wash with a strongish solution of Fairy Liquid and water will do the trick - PLEASE NOTE wash-up liquid will also de-grease joints, wheel bearings etc - so not advised to wash your wheels, door hinges etc with this.

If you have tar spots, bird etching and lime then the best way to remove old wax and these blemishes is with detailing clay - ie megs quick clay - a good tip is not to waste the quick detailer as a clay lube but simply a double strength mix of wash shampoo (NOT fairy) in a squirty bottle does the job and means you can keep the QD for making the car sparkle.

Or finally if you wan't to remove light swirls and scuffs at the same time as remove the wax then a paint cleanser like zymol HD cleanse, Sonus paint cleaner (good stuff :)) megs clear coat body scrub or megs deep crystal step 1.

But one thing to remember folks - as with everything time spent on the prep will pay dividends on the finish so for a car doing a battle up and down the bypass every day Ewan i'd recommend the clay followed by the cleanser but if monies tight i'd go for the cleanser route.

Burple
21st February 2005, 11:34 PM
Ta..
I'll try the Fairy first (which was what I thought of first ;))
Might even make my hands soft too!

:D:D

Big Col
22nd February 2005, 04:45 PM
<looks smug>

euan
22nd February 2005, 05:38 PM
Wul,

What's the deal with clay bars? When would you use them, and what are they for?

At the moment, my routine is as follows:

Wash car with two bucket method and sheep mitt (must have been a run on those recently...)
Wax with Megs (NXT on order), last waxed 1st week of January.

Now, how oftern should I be applying wax to the car, and where does the clay fit in?

Cheers.

Wul
22nd February 2005, 06:55 PM
Hey Euan - Clay bars are the safe way to remove tar spots and road grime from your clear coat without damaging the surface - it will leave your paint feeling like glass. I generally do my car 2 times a year with clay - after summer and in the spring. THIS (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14) article tells you how to clay.

Your routine sounds fine and only clay when your cars paint feels rough and gritty after you've washed it (the boot are needless to say gets it bad!) Clay removes all your wax too.

There's no set timescale for waxing - as much or as little as you like but it your wax coat on a daily driver may only last about 6-8 weeks so i usually try and wax a min of every 2 months although over winter the temp needs to be above about 10degC to let the wax bond properly to the paint.

euan
22nd February 2005, 07:57 PM
Cheers, sounds like it needs done again, although with all this snow about I might just have to wait.

KenL
25th February 2005, 06:53 AM
Wul,

checked out the price of Meguairs in Walmart here in Hilo, Hawaii.

Gold CLass wax is $10.46
NXT Tech Wax $15

A LOT cheaper over here. So anyone visiting the states may want to stock up.

I bought a huge plush microfibre drying towel for $7!

Wul
25th February 2005, 04:50 PM
:cool:fill an empty suitcase - you'll make a fortune Ken!! :D

Burple
25th February 2005, 06:58 PM
Another Question kids....
Does anyone know...

How to *REALLY* clean your windscreen on the outside? to get rid of the Wiper marks that appear after a while?
Starting to notice it quite prominently after washing (the window! ;) ) and putting the Rain-X on.

Any ideas:question:

Scottie
25th February 2005, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Another Question kids....
Does anyone know...

How to *REALLY* clean your windscreen on the outside? to get rid of the Wiper marks that appear after a while?
Starting to notice it quite prominently after washing (the window! ;) ) and putting the Rain-X on.

Any ideas:question:

never own a car long enough to notice;):D

but

I use the vinegar and water thing :D followed by Mer windscreen cleaner don't use rain X hate it.:D

Wul
25th February 2005, 07:54 PM
Ewan - the wiper marks are probably as a result of the Rain-X itself - they have their own brand cleaner which removes all traces of Rain-X - or try washing the windscreen with a strong mix of fairy to get it "squeaky" clean. Carful it doesnae run over your waxed paint though. Failing that it might be a worn part of the windscreen itself and in which case your goosed mate!

Big Col
25th February 2005, 08:02 PM
Rain X sucks!!!!

Wul
25th February 2005, 08:12 PM
No it disnae - it's brill!

Big Col
25th February 2005, 08:43 PM
Does too!

euan
25th February 2005, 11:04 PM
I love rain-x for the way it beads, however I have noticed the wiper marks.

So, what is the solution? Remove rain-x with fairy, and then what? Re-apply? Use something else?

I know it's not the screen as it only occured after the second application of Rain-X.

Burple
25th February 2005, 11:12 PM
quote:
So, what is the solution? Remove rain-x with fairy, and then what? Re-apply? Use something else?

That's the solution I'll be using!! :D:D:D

Wul
25th February 2005, 11:17 PM
Yup - i'd agree - it'll be a build up of Rain-X at the edge of the wipers arc more than likely!!

Sheilz
27th February 2005, 07:21 AM
A couple of weeks ago I spilt irn bru on my seat. Tried the upholstery cleaner that comes with the supaguard kit but still got a ghastly stain on it. Looks like I've wee-ed in the car :I:I. Any ideas as to what I could use to clean it with?

Steve74
28th February 2005, 12:07 AM
Ok Wul new question to the car care King!

I'm 'bout to get a new car and I'd like to get a full kit of wax, polish, interior cleany stuff and sponge mitty things. Can you reccomend a kit... Budget £100 tops.

Currently use Zymol stuff on the Mini but it's dead messy and the interior stuff I use makes the dash shine - which I dont want.

Any ideas?

Scottie
28th February 2005, 04:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

A couple of weeks ago I spilt irn bru on my seat. Tried the upholstery cleaner that comes with the supaguard kit but still got a ghastly stain on it. Looks like I've wee-ed in the car :I:I. Any ideas as to what I could use to clean it with?

Have you tried VANISH got iro bru from my carpet;)

minidriver#1
28th February 2005, 05:26 AM
^^ lol classic

Sheilz
28th February 2005, 08:35 AM
No. got meg's upholstery cleaner today and I think it worked but if not will give the vanish a try. Cheers :D:D:D

Wul
28th February 2005, 04:17 PM
Sheilz - hope you got the bru stain sorted - failing that those oxy cleaners have worked on stains too. (not telling you guys what type of stain though - dirty minded so-and-so's!! ;):p)

Steve74
28th February 2005, 06:56 PM
quote:

Ok Wul new question to the car care King!

I'm 'bout to get a new car and I'd like to get a full kit of wax, polish, interior cleany stuff and sponge mitty things. Can you reccomend a kit... Budget £100 tops.

Currently use Zymol stuff on the Mini but it's dead messy and the interior stuff I use makes the dash shine - which I dont want.

Any ideas?

Wul - So man, C'mon whats the advice then... ;)

Wul
28th February 2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry Steve - never clocked it in amongst the girders spill;)

The dash first - there are plenty of products about - but they all leave a shine if applied and left - secret is to apply the product then buff it of with a lint free cloth. I'm using meguiars Natural Vinyl stuff but there are a few about - look for ones which provide UV protection to stop your dash discolouring. THIS (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=11) should help (god only knows what the lady is doing with the hoover though:I).

Wul
28th February 2005, 07:41 PM
As for the full kit - it depends on the products you like Steve.

From the Megs Range THIS (http://www.drivenincar.com/shop/products.php?p=245ca6) is a good starter but wouldn't be too fussed for the plastic treatment and definately add a tube of scratch-X. My own pref would be to see if they'll swap them and also swap the ultimate mitt for a lambswool one (their the same price). oh and 2 buckets of course :clown:

Big Col
28th February 2005, 07:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

(god only knows what the lady is doing with the hoover though:I).

She's a woman Wul! She knows what she's doing with the hoover! :D

Steve74
28th February 2005, 07:59 PM

From the Megs Range THIS (http://www.drivenincar.com/shop/products.php?p=245ca6) is a good starter but wouldn't be too fussed for the plastic treatment and definately add a tube of scratch-X. My own pref would be to see if they'll swap them and also swap the ultimate mitt for a lambswool one (their the same price). oh and 2 buckets of course :clown:

Excellent mate. Yup the woman was doing strange things with a hoover but like the way she dresses to clean the car - if only I could get the GF to do that for me!

What about cabrio soft-top cleaner then - what your recommendation?

And will you get a commission if I mention your name?

Scottie
28th February 2005, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Excellent mate. Yup the woman was doing strange things with a hoover but like the way she dresses to clean the car - if only I could get the GF to do that for me!

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/quickorder.html

I use the above site to get my 303 Cabrio Cleaner stuff I've also got the 303 aerospace protectant spray which is good on interior leave a matt finish.

Found the recommendation on mini2 and thought I would try and it's all good so far:D

Steve74
28th February 2005, 08:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

quote:Originally posted by Steve74

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/quickorder.html

I use the above site to get my 303 Cabrio Cleaner stuff I've also got the 303 aerospace protectant spray which is good on interior leave a matt finish.

Found the recommendation on mini2 and thought I would try and it's all good so far:D

Cool, looks like I'm all set. Just wonder if I need to invest in 3M plastic on the car to stop the stone chips that have been an issue with my mini!!

Wul
28th February 2005, 10:46 PM
Good shout from Fiona on the 303 gear - it's the best for your trim inside and out - hard to get over here though as it can't be shipped by air as it's volatile gear :eek:

Wul
28th February 2005, 10:48 PM
and sadly no - i won't get any commission - but try emailing alex on www.seriousperformance.co.uk and see if he can better the deal for you :)

Steve74
1st March 2005, 12:14 AM

and sadly no - i won't get any commission - but try emailing alex on www.seriousperformance.co.uk and see if he can better the deal for you :)

Ta v much

duncan
5th March 2005, 12:00 AM
Dear Professor Polish,

Should I take any particular care whilst washing, and maybe polishing my car, while the paint is still new, and around the bonnet stripes?

Many thanks

Wul
5th March 2005, 12:05 AM
Welllll......theres so many schools of thought on this one Dunc - The paint is baked on the chassis on a new car unlike a re-spray so in theory your paint should be fully cured already. in which case wax away my son - in my opinion and it never done mine any harm. Ask the dealer what they applied to the car at PDI and you should get an answer that way too.

As for the stripes - not personally aware of any problems waxing over and around the stripes so long as you don't lift the edge of the stripe.

duncan
5th March 2005, 12:13 AM
Cheers Wul,

I'll try and find out what they used. I've still got some of the polish from the MINI rucksack kit, so I’ll probably use that up first, but I think the first thing I’ll get is 2 brand new buckets to start me off on the path of enlightenment. :D

Wul
5th March 2005, 12:28 AM
...and the mitt.......don't forget the mitt! :)

Big Gordy
5th March 2005, 12:31 AM
More like "the path of much spilt water" if you try too carry both of them at once my young apprentice;) :p:D:approve:

duncan
5th March 2005, 12:34 AM
Ahh, I realised that the path is long and very twisty, I didn't anticipate the dampness also.

Thank you also Gordy-san

Wul
5th March 2005, 12:52 AM
Old Chinese proverb:

"he who walks the twisty path with buckets so full, will be wringing the water of life from his socks long after" :p

duncan
5th March 2005, 01:03 AM

...and the mitt.......don't forget the mitt! :)

Where can the mitt be bought from again, Wul?

Wul
5th March 2005, 01:09 AM
here: http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/parts/item_detail.php?prodID=444000324 + postage or

www.seriousperformance.co.uk or www.speeding.co.uk for free postage.

or theres a place near Dundee where Julz and Bonnie buy their stuff from too.

Wul
5th March 2005, 01:12 AM
Autosave, 119 Clepington Road Dundee 01382 458666 :)

You may think £9.99 is dear compared to a sponge but mines lasted 3years so far and still is in top notch nick and reduces the swirls greatly :)

duncan
5th March 2005, 01:14 AM
Perfect. I've can see the signpost on the path, and i'm on my way!

duncan
5th March 2005, 02:00 AM
Treated myself to the "Premium Car Care Kit" :)

I've got a busy day tomorrow now!!

Wul
5th March 2005, 11:55 PM
look forward to seeing the results tomorrow Dunc :)

Scottie
10th March 2005, 01:10 AM
was bored this afternoon so took myself of to Halfords.

I see you can get FLASH car clean kit thing wonder if it will be any good.

also saw Turtle Wax Platinum products bought the leather cleaner to give it a try.

Wul are these new things have you tried them.

Wul
10th March 2005, 04:53 AM
Sorry Scottie - no idea about them - have a nose around autopia - there may be some reviews in there for the TW stuff.

Wul
14th March 2005, 05:50 PM
OK guys - used Meguiars #16 pure carnuba wax on the car at the weekend - soooperb stuff - goes on very easy, leaves an amazing shine and fills in light scratches very well indeedy!!:)
http://www.carcrazy.net/images/products/prod_1430.jpg

However have to say for a 1yr old car my front bumper and particularly the black trim looks in sh1t state due to our lovely gritters :disapprove:

KenL
15th March 2005, 06:11 PM
Damn, that was your chance to give something other than Meguiars a chance like the superb P21S http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_cw.html :cool:

The Meguiars stuff seems well rated on Autopia as well though - enjoy.

How much was it?

Wul
15th March 2005, 06:22 PM
Yeh Ken - it was gonna be the P21S but heard good reviews of #16 on top of NXT - it was £12 for a tin that'll likely last longer than I will! :clown: used half of the residue in the lid of the tin to do the whole car and wheels!!

Scottie
15th March 2005, 06:32 PM

OK guys - used Meguiars #16 pure carnuba wax on the car at the weekend - soooperb stuff - goes on very easy, leaves an amazing shine and fills in light scratches very well indeedy!!:)
http://www.carcrazy.net/images/products/prod_1430.jpg

However have to say for a 1yr old car my front bumper and particularly the black trim looks in sh1t state due to our lovely gritters :disapprove:

Wul,

Is this stuff only to be used with a PC polish thingy or can it be used by hand.

Wul
15th March 2005, 06:42 PM
I put it on by hand Fiona and it was soooooooooo easy to apply - easier than NXT! Couldn't get near the house to use the PC but it give great results too.:)

euan
17th March 2005, 10:53 PM
Wul/Ken, can someone explain to me what the diff is between P21S (which sounds like a lab product and not a car cleaning item!), Carnuba wax and "normal" wax like the polishing wax from Megs I use at the moment?

This thread can confuse me!

Wul
17th March 2005, 11:32 PM
Euan

P21S is a manufacturer of Car Care Products - we are referring to their concours wax here (http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_cw.html) which is a pure carnuba wax.

Megs have various type of "pure" wax #16 is one of them. So basically p21S and #16 are very similar products.

Right - the diff between these and say NXT Tech wax or Gold Class wax is this:

NXT etc contain a variety of products to make them an "all-in-one" kinda product - like 2in1 shampoo and conditioner:clown: So they have cleaners to remove gunk, fillers to fill scratches, oils to restore gloss and wax to seal and protect. Obviously each item doesn't work as well as a dedicated product for each step but as an easy to use product for the average Joe they work very well.

Whereas a "pure" carnuba wax - is exactly as it says - a wax only. Synthetic versions like AG Extra Gloss Protection are the same - they are a final stage product. So in theory they are best used on paint in good conditond which has been cleansed and polished. It lasts longer than the likes of NXT and leaves a deeper gloss beacuse all the hard work is in the prep.

NXT follwed by #16 works well as the NXT leaves a brilliant gloss which the #16 intensifies and seals in/ protects!

Ken used P21S on his brand new Golf so again all the hard work had been done already.

hope this makes sense - have added some useful links in the second post on the thread:)

euan
18th March 2005, 12:03 AM
OK, that makes sense, so you use "normal" wax and then the pure wax as another layer.

I have to be honest, when I use the normal wax, I am more than happy with the finish it gives but perhaps I should give this a try to see.

Wul
18th March 2005, 12:16 AM
euan - dunno waht colour your mowta is but my black MCS swirls at the thought of a dust particle - hense the reason i have been "waxing lyrical"!!:clown::I

Effectively the more layers - the longer the shine will last and the better the protection :)

euan
18th March 2005, 12:22 AM
My mini is EB/W, perhaps the colour that shows the least dirt on it of any car I've owned!

I think I'll give it a try, some git has lightly scratched one of the wings - it's just the top coat, not the paint, so perhaps this will do the job!

Thanks again!

Big Gordy
18th March 2005, 01:18 AM
Euan I can confirm that NXT does a grand job of comouflageing light scratches:approve: How do I know this:question: Like you some 'git' marked the top of the passengers door with there handbag or something after parking far too close:mad: Result.......light scratching of the paintwork. 5 mins with the Meguires NXT and its gone:D :p:D:approve:

Wul
18th March 2005, 04:23 PM
Some interesting comments in this thread!!

http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1013

Big Col
18th March 2005, 04:44 PM

hense the reason i have been "waxing lyrical"!!:clown::I

<slaps Wul> Get a grip of yourself man! <slap> ;)

Big Col
18th March 2005, 04:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

5 mins with the Meguires NXT and its gone:D :p:D:approve:

Ahem. "Gone" Big G? Be honest now. :)

Big Gordy
18th March 2005, 05:14 PM
OK you can still find it if you realy, realy, realy, realy, realy, REALY look for it:evil: Put it this way Ishy couldn't see it (the scratch that is:blackeye:) after I had polished it :p:D:approve:

Wul
18th March 2005, 05:23 PM
:D

Steve74
18th March 2005, 05:50 PM
Thought this might be of interest...

http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

;)

KenL
18th March 2005, 05:58 PM
Wul,

You said you thought pure Carnaubas lasted longer than a synthetic (combined) product like NXT. I had thought that synthetic waxes were designed to last longer:question:

With this in mind I have ordered some Klasse All-in-one to apply every 3-6 months with monthly toppings of P21S.

Not got it yet but will let you know what it's like. Seems well liked in the states & on Autopia.

I'm also considering a clay bar but probably not for another 6 months. Have you got the Meg's one? What's it like? Is there dangers involved if you use it wrong?

Wul
21st March 2005, 10:13 PM
Ken - typed a huge response on Friday - only for it to disappear in a flurry of error messages!! :(

Wul
21st March 2005, 10:21 PM
Ken - you are basically right - however NXT's cleaning ability means it doesn't last as long as a final stage product.

Your Klasse should be excellent and combined with the easy use of P21 will be a good combo i reckon :)

As for clay - yes I've got the megs one - it works well and you simply use a double strength wash mix as a lube and keep the quick detailer for keeping your car shiney. the 3M claybar gets good reviews too - bit more pricey though.

As for risks - don't apply any pressure as this will cause light marring of the clear coat - fingertips only - also split the bar into 3 bits and keep re-moulding it to keep it clean. Afterwards a once over with a cleanser like sonus or megs clear coat scrub will have your paint super ready for your Klasse - i only clay 2 times a year.

Gismo
21st March 2005, 10:39 PM
Wul, non mini question, but, once the Scooby is picked up i want to fully cleanse the car.
I want to remove any and all of the dealer applied stuff to replace with Megs nice stuff.
To do this, do i use fairy liquid to remove all, then wash the car and then apply my gold class wax??

Wul
21st March 2005, 10:45 PM
Sounds fine alan - but if you rinse the car well then theres no need to re-wash the car:)

Bumble Bee
22nd March 2005, 08:13 AM
Just wondered where you's buy your Meguiars products:question:, do you get it through there web site, could do wi a good cleaning regime for my yellow beastie:). Up until late was using..........god am fierd to say it Auto Glym. Would also be grateful for some tips on how to take the crap off ma exhaust want to reshine the chrome up:D:D:D

KenL
22nd March 2005, 05:02 PM
Meguiars is now available at Halfords - maybe not the whole range though.

Nothing wrong with Autoglym BTW. Not keen on Silicon Resin Polish because it is dusty and a pain if it goes on your black trim but other products of theirs like Extra Gloss Protection are good. They've also got a new wax/sealant out but I'm not sure what that is like.

TBH I don't think Meguiars stuff is that good :p

Wul
22nd March 2005, 09:08 PM
Ken - it's really up to how much or little you want to do really - AG kit is good but as you say a PITA on the trim.

Loved NXT and GC waxes because of their ease of use - 1 bottle instead of 2 like the AG kit.

But now having seen the effects of proper prep work and a good pure wax i know they way i'll be heading in future!! :)

KenL
22nd March 2005, 09:17 PM
Loved NXT and GC waxes because of their ease of use - 1 bottle instead of 2 like the AG kit.

I don't find either NXT or GC that easy to use, maybe just me applying to much or something.

Wul
22nd March 2005, 09:34 PM
possibly Ken - you really only need a little on the sponge, dab it about the section then rub it in till it basically disappears, leave for 20-30mins till dry and wipe off with a MF towel or terry one. the more you apply the harder it is to buff off.

The Dogfather
22nd March 2005, 10:51 PM
Had a busy day on Sunday undoing all the damage winter has done.

First I took the car down to the local jet wash a took off all the really thick muck off the car, then washed the car with fairy liquid to get rid of all the grease and old wax (like there was any left!), I then pulled the bonnet stripes off as well.

Once the car was completely clean I did the whole car with Scratch X followed by the last two bits of the megs 3 stage wax system - polish and wax. All of this was done using my orbital polisher. To finish off I then used the Autoglym bumper care stuff.

Needless to say the car looks mint but it did take me 6 hours! :eek:

Wul
12th April 2005, 09:15 PM
To answer ewan and mgemies query regarding blemishes on their R90's i need to know if the wheels are fully painted/coated or are the "polished rims" really polished - ie bare alloy?

euan
12th April 2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Wul,

They are factory fresh, so however they come from the factory, that's how they are on mine.

Wul
13th April 2005, 12:07 AM
Sorry Euan - not being cheeky mate but how do they come from the factory - and i don't mean on the back of a lorry Col!! :clown::p

The normal finish on wheels are silver paint with clear coat - but then Big Cols wheels were different so not sure how the R90's are finished.

Anyway - if it's bare alloy road salt, wheel cleaner and the like will all tarnish the finish and they will need re-polished with a metal polish like autosol.

If they are painted then try giving them a good clean with something like sonax wheel cleaner (see your local vauxhall dealer) or megs hot rims - spray on and work in with a paint brush, leave for a minute or so the wash as normal.

If the marks are still there try Scratch X on them - if this doesn't get rid of the marks then there is a flaw in the coating and i'd be taking them back to the dealer to sort.

hope this helps. :)

euan
13th April 2005, 12:38 AM
Hi Wul,

I think they are polished, but not really sure. I'll have a look and see if I can find out! I'll be honest, I just know they look great and no idea how they get them there.

The marks are under the top layer, between it and the alloy so I'm thinking they need to be repolished. I'll take a picture tonight if I get back before the light goes and mail it to you.

Wul
13th April 2005, 01:00 AM
if you can see a layer then they are possibly polished alloy then coated in lacquer - if the lacquer gets puntured by a stone chip and water gets to the alloy it will corrode and bubble the lacquer off:eek:

WillieM - can you remember what finish your R90's had?

AndyP & Lenore
18th April 2005, 08:51 AM
We've got gold coloured marks appearing on our R99's on the tiny section of wheel between the actual wheel and tyre. One was so bad the dealer replaced the entire alloy wheel. Once they got the faulty one off the car and removed the tyre they were able to "clean" off the marks. As the marks have appeared on the other wheels the car is booked in tomorrow to have them all cleaned properly. But it is a little worrying that these marks are re-appearing. Not sure if this should be in Mods/F/F thread or here, but as it is related to the current topic, I thought I'd stick it here.

AndyP

Wul
18th April 2005, 03:40 PM
Hi Andy - there seems to be a common theme appearing recently about the quality of the coating on the "new" design wheels - keep on at your dealer woudl be my advice.

Euan - sent you a reply to your email. :)

euan
18th April 2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the mail Wul - will let you know the outcome.

On another topic....I know the guys on here complain about black cars showing polishing marks very easily.

What would be easier to keep clean - Metallic black, Pearl black or non-met black? And which would show the least swirls!

Wul
18th April 2005, 10:23 PM
Dunno about Metallic or Pearlescent but I know for sure that non-metallic black is the worst pick!! but still looks lovely when all shiney :cool::clown:

Julz
18th April 2005, 10:33 PM
Swirls Wul, euan said swirls!!!:eek::p

Wul
18th April 2005, 10:48 PM
hey julz - what colour of evo you going for?

euan
18th April 2005, 11:21 PM
Julz, he'll be telling me to get one of those automated polishers to negate the swirl effect next :) Between that, my fancy wash mit, two buckets and a cupboard full of Megs, I'll need a garage to store all the car cleaning stuff, never mind the car! I find it somewhat disturbing that I think I now own more cleaning products for the car than I do for the house...

Julz
18th April 2005, 11:26 PM

hey julz - what colour of evo you going for?

Yellow!!:cool:

BTW, which is the best leather cleaner stuff to go for, needing a new bottle!:clown:

Wul
18th April 2005, 11:37 PM
Aye right - yellow schmellow!:clown:

We'll the only one i've used it the megs gold class all-in-one cleaner/conditoner - but use it so little not likely to try any other product for years!! 8) Maybe someone else can chip in here!!

euan
25th April 2005, 09:48 PM
So come on then Wul, what should I be using on the new motor?

Freshly waxed from the dealer, should I strip it and Megs it? Or leave it till it needs it?

And what is the best way to do the car quickly? Hand or some kind of polishing machine as there is a lot of car to cover!

Also, the car has alcantera seats - how on earth do you keep them clean?

Wul
25th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Well.....

Wax - I personally would wash the car with Fairy or quick blast with the ol clay bar, then go over with Scratch X to get any scuffs swirls the dealer may have inflicted with their nasty jet wash/sponges. Then 2 coats of your favourite wax (min 24hours apart or over 2 weekends) and for longevity a final coat of #16.

For speed and the best finish it can only be the Porter Cable 7424 (I've got this one (http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html)) makes life so much easier - especially removing swirls etc - needs a 750Kva Transformer - initial outlay is pricey but will last you for years.

WTF are alcantra seats? 8):D

euan
25th April 2005, 10:16 PM
OK, so I'm going to be busy then :)

I'll investigate the polisher, may need to wait a bit before I get it though.

:) Alcantera is the suede effect stuff. Looks great but no idea how it's going to wear and I suspect it's going to be murder to keep.

Scottie
29th April 2005, 06:44 AM
just found meguairs window screen cleaner dose and good job and smells nice:D

infact thinking about it was really impresssed:D

Heather
29th April 2005, 07:11 AM
Wul,
Looking for your opinion on the Flash home car system as seen on TV. Looks very good:p

Wul
29th April 2005, 03:28 PM
Well Heather - personally speaking I reckon it's a pricey looking bit of kit - however for a quick wash in the winter it looks useful. But remember the water filter bit that allegedly "dries" the car is to remove the hard minerals found in the water - our lovely scottish water doesn't suffer as much from this problem and taking the nozzle off the hose when you rinse the car down get's rid of 80% of the water anyway.

I'm sure Scottiecoop bought this - she may be able to offer more guidance and a few on MINI2 think it's good.

HOWEVER(you knew this was coming;)) Karl Howman uses a sponge in the advert - i wouldn't adivse putting one of those nasty things anywhere near CSI's lovely paintwork!!

And for £6 in homebase you can buy a "miracle grow feeder" basically a hose attachment with a mixing bottle (for fertiliser) which you can put normal car wash shampoo and do the same thing as the flash system without all the "special" products.

Big Col
29th April 2005, 03:58 PM

And for £6 in homebase you can buy a "miracle grow feeder" basically a hose attachment with a mixing bottle (for fertiliser) which you can put normal car wash shampoo and do the same thing as the flash system without all the "special" products.

and it might even make your MINI grow into an X5. ;)

Wul
29th April 2005, 04:23 PM
Now why would i want one of those!!?? :clown:

euan
29th April 2005, 10:59 PM
This site, and this thread in particular, never fails to amuse (and inform) me.

Miracle Grow your Mini. Love it :)

Scottie
5th May 2005, 09:36 PM
looking for a Cabrio cleaner other than 303.

Just want to clean the top without having to use the protecting stuff afterwards.

Looking for something to lift the dirt grit sand etc etc from the rear around the window bit etc.

Think I need a soft brush or something it help break the stuff up it's a nightmare and makes me :mad::mad: looks all right wet but once it drys yuck:(

Wul
5th May 2005, 09:51 PM
Scottie - have you had a rummage round Autopia? there are other cabrio cleaners on the market or email alex@seriousperformance.co.uk and ask him what he'd recommend.

OXO do a great range of brushes with flare tips to soften them up - i've got the wheel brush which works really well and is soft.

Scottie
5th May 2005, 10:06 PM

Scottie - have you had a rummage round Autopia? there are other cabrio cleaners on the market or email alex@seriousperformance.co.uk and ask him what he'd recommend.

OXO do a great range of brushes with flare tips to soften them up - i've got the wheel brush which works really well and is soft.

got this from autopia so dose this mean I can or cannot use nxt mequairs shampoo.

"Wash your soft top at least once a month (or when it is dusty or dirty) with a non-detergent-based auto shampoo. If your top is not dirty, rinse it thoroughly with plenty of cool water. Make sure the shampoo you use does not contain gloss-enhancing oils."

Wul
5th May 2005, 10:31 PM
Dunno - have you checked the bottle or email megs and ask them?

duncan
6th May 2005, 04:00 AM
Wul,

Some kind bird has left a present on the MINI and its left a mark thats visable at certain angles.
I have used my Megs to try to polish it out, but to no avail. (OK, so i didn't try really hard, it started to rain)

Should I try to polish it out with more Megs, or will a cutting polish take it out?

Also, i was a bit careless with the polish, and got some on my black trim, whats the best way to get it off.
I have the MINI kit, but the plastic polish didnt really remove it all.

Wul
6th May 2005, 03:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Wul,

Some kind bird has left a present on the MINI

Did you get her number?:p;)

If left on long enough Bird "lime" will etch your clear coat i'm afraid:eek: - the best way to remove this is like you would a light scratch/swirl - scratch X or similar. Cleaner waxes might eventually get rid of it but it will take a lot of applications.

As for the polish on black trim apparently peanut butter works a treat but i've never been brave enough to go at it with a tub of sun-pat!!:I:clown: prior to the next wash - take a terry cloth and a bottle of fairy etc and go at the mark with the neat fairy and then wash the car - should get rid of it - follow up with your MINI trim detailer once dry.:)

And another wee tip - keep a bottle of Quick detailer and a cloth in the car - works well to remove nasty bird pressies when you can't get the car washed.8)

Big Gordy
6th May 2005, 04:01 PM
Remember and buy the smooth stuff not the crunchy stuff when applying the 'peanut butter' polish ;):I :p:D:approve:

euan
7th May 2005, 12:26 AM
I was just going to say, I can see the next next question.

Wul, How do I get the bits of peanut from my grills?

or..

The peanuts have left swirls all over the bodywork...

I'm off to wash the new motor - I too was given a first present. But it does mean I get to try my new HUGE bottle of NXT :)

Gismo
17th May 2005, 04:54 AM
Hey Wul,
Once i get ma new mota i need you to give me a demo on how to keep my car clean and nicely waxed :cool:
How about 10am this sunday :D i'll give you directions to my house :p oh, don't forget all the megs stuff ;)

Wul
17th May 2005, 06:12 AM
Yeh right Bonnie - if you'd thrown in a cuppa and some choccie biccies I may have been swayed!:D

Gismo
17th May 2005, 10:42 AM
I'll have a nice cup of rosy lea and some choccie biscuits waiting for ya :p

Wul
17th May 2005, 05:15 PM
Ah too late to offer them now - after i suggested them!! :p

euan
31st May 2005, 08:43 PM
Wul, Can I clear something up?

What's the right order for a weekend of car poliching perfection? Wash it, wax it and then clay bar? Or wash it, clay bar and the wax?

Wul
31st May 2005, 09:36 PM
The latter Euan - WASH -> CLAY -> WAX!!

Clay removes wax :)

Oh and go easy on the clay and you might need to give it another quick wash to get rid of the clay residue!

euan
1st June 2005, 12:23 AM
Great, thanks Wul.

Washed the car at the weekend and it felt horrid when I ran my hand over it. Looked great though ;)

macblob
21st June 2005, 03:27 AM
Wul,
Same as one of the posts above.
A nasty bird pooped on the roof of my car on Sunday. Didint know about till I went to work Today. Came home from work and cleaned car. Bird poop has etched the clear coat :mad::mad:

I have tried everything and the marks are still evident. So far ive tried Megs Scratch X, 3M hand Glaze, Tar and Sap remover follwed by a liberal helping of NXT Tech wax.

Still marked!!!. Would a machine polisher take out the marks in the clear coat?

Cheers Brian

Wul
21st June 2005, 05:39 AM
Brian - I've got a porter cable if you wanna try it out on the area - scratch X might do the trick. But remember the etching is actually part of the clear coat eaten away so to remove it you need to take down the rest of the area to match the lowest point of the etch.

An alternative option is to get some pure wax like p21S or megs #16 to fill the etching - it won;t last forever but can be maintained very easily - PM me your address and i'll pop a wee frop #16 in the post for you to try. :)

macblob
21st June 2005, 05:55 AM
Cheers Wul master of car care, PM sent

The Bull
5th July 2005, 08:28 AM
Wul, I just obtained some #16 and think it is superb on top of NXT like you wisely said but I was wondering....has anyone tried the "yellow" wax by Megs?

Wul
5th July 2005, 04:55 PM
is that the #26 wax? think it's a synthetic wax is it not - no idea how good it is.

Sheilz
5th July 2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Wul, where can I buy the 16 stuff. I'm using Gold class just now but think I need to up the shine on the bonnet coz am having a bit of a problem when putting on my mascara (shortsightedness is a terrible affliction!). Cheers :eek:;):D

Wul
6th July 2005, 12:56 AM
Not sure on the ramifications of posting advertslinks for particular sites thesedays who aren't sponsors - so will send you an email Sheilz! :)

The Bull
6th July 2005, 05:06 AM
Yes Wul..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Picklehammer/yellow.jpg

Why don't they just sell one kind that is the best? Would save me scratching my head trying to work out what to spend my pennies on next.

More than happy with the #16. Bought it straight from Meguiars own site as it was the only one I could find that had it. Took a while to arrive though. Smells very similar to Gold Class. A similar formula maybe?

Wul
6th July 2005, 06:36 PM
Well' it will have similar carnuba waxes in it, but Gold Glass has filler and cleaners in it whereas #16 is just carnuba waxes. :) Personally I think #16 is easier to use than gold class.

The Bull
6th July 2005, 09:59 PM
I'm with you on that. I find Gold Class really dusty when taking it off as well.:)

Wul
7th July 2005, 12:26 AM
Ed - that probably means you've put too much on in the first place - but you are quite right.

Sheilz
7th July 2005, 07:46 AM
Cheers! I havent had a problem with any of their waxes. Compared to otehr brands they're brilliant

chunkies
7th July 2005, 09:12 PM
In response to a number of previous replies on this forum, I have tried the peanut butter (smooth of course) method of cleaning the black trim on my car and it works a treat.

I just rub a little into the blemished area with my finger and leave it for a minute or two and then wipe it clean.

A lot cheaper than most products and you can lick your finger clean afterwards aswell if you want.....try doing that with other:D trim cleaners ......yuk!!!

Wul
8th July 2005, 01:22 AM
:DBrilliant!! Bet the neighbours thought you were MAD! :p:)

indigomatt
12th July 2005, 12:01 AM
I don't like peanut butter :dead: would chocolate spread work as well :question:

Wul
12th July 2005, 12:49 AM
Certainly would smell better!! ;)