PDA

View Full Version : MINI Auxillary Audio Input

Pmur01
7th February 2005, 07:03 AM
I've just bought a mini cooper 04 and I'm looking at getting my Ipod connected to my Standard fitted radio. Can any one help me out with this problem.

Thanks,

Phil.

Edit - moved to correct forum

Wul
7th February 2005, 05:22 PM
Hi Phil - What head unit have you got - WAVE or BOOST?

I believe the Boost units all now have a 3.5mm jack in the back of the head unit so all you need is a male/male 3.5mm jack cable.

But of it's full finctionality then thie might be a better option:

http://www.ipodmycar.com/index.asp

GAJ
7th February 2005, 05:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Hi Phil - What head unit have you got - WAVE or BOOST?
I believe the Boost units all now have a 3.5mm jack in the back of the head unit so all you need is a male/male 3.5mm jack cable.
But of it's full finctionality then thie might be a better option:
http://www.ipodmycar.com/index.asp

The current Boost head units don't include a minijack but your dealer can sell you a cheap kit which attaches to the back of the head unit and provides you with a female minijack socket that you can mount under your dash. I have this fitted in my car and it works very well.

As for the Dension icelinkplus - DON'T DO IT!!!

It is a heap of sh!t!! I fitted one in Heather's car recently and we had endless problems. The software is IMO not even in beta stage, Dension are constantly releasing updates which have not been tested which cause endless serious problems with the car electrics. Heather's car could not even be locked at one stage and there are reports of all the lights being disabled! The interface is very clunky too, it only allows access to the first 5 playlists on the iPod through the steering wheel controls, it does not allow you to access the iPod's own interface. Most of the time the headunit would not even recognise the iPod when you put it in the cradle and you had to pull the fuse to get it to work. Heather has now had a full refund, no questions asked and a lot of companies which were stocking them now don't which makes me think that a lot of disgruntled punters have been asking for a refund.

I have my iPod mounted in a Belkin cup holder mount which I have cut to fit in the MINI. It works great! I'll post a pic later!

Heather
7th February 2005, 07:15 PM
.....seconds everything said by GAJ:D

Pmur01
8th February 2005, 03:13 AM
Lads,

Thanks very much for the information. I'm new at this web forum, it fact it's the first one I've every used. My radio is a bog standard wave one and I did contact BMW in Aberdeen and they said, there nothing I can, but upgrade my radio cassette to a cd player.

Thanks,

Phil.

Big Col
8th February 2005, 04:22 AM
Oooh H he called you a lad! <dives for cover>

Heather
8th February 2005, 04:32 AM
Easy mistake to make:p

mikeythemini
8th February 2005, 07:39 AM
The first 2 versions of the icelink plus software did have bad problems but 2.04 release at the begining of jan solved them.
It works very well, and yes you can opt to use the ipod interface instead of the dension one

mikeythemini
8th February 2005, 07:41 AM
To be honest though I would look at upgrading the stereo - the wave one is very week
You could get a second hand boost unit (will require adaptors
Or fit an aftermarket one - various ipod links available that will also display ID tags

GAJ
8th February 2005, 08:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by mikeythemini

The first 2 versions of the icelink plus software did have bad problems but 2.04 release at the begining of jan solved them.

No it didn't! 2.04 stopped the car from locking!

you can opt to use the ipod interface instead of the dension one

But you have to select this through the clunky interface everytime you remove the ipod from the cradle and replace it, and you can't use the steering wheel controls. The only way to use the steering wheel controls is in pseudo cd changer mode, may as well listen to cds!

MartinSullivan
8th February 2005, 05:19 PM

To be honest though I would look at upgrading the stereo - the wave one is very week
You could get a second hand boost unit (will require adaptors
Or fit an aftermarket one - various ipod links available that will also display ID tags

I can sell you a second hand boost unit at a good price Pmur01 if you want to go down Mikeytheminis root. If you have a look at his website you will see a lot of good stuff for your mini - and he will help you with any ICE question - try NEWMINISTUFF (http://www.newministuff.co.uk/), there are also some good step by step guides on changing your stereo out on there if you decide to go that route. As you live in Aberdeen the other person to try is John on here he works at Dick Flemming and will be able to help you out.

Wul
8th February 2005, 05:55 PM
Oooh - GAJ and Mikeythemini should get over to the OT&B fight thread sharpish!!:p

just kiddin lads!! :D

Heather
8th February 2005, 09:37 PM
As it was me who was left in the middle of Glasgow with a car that would not allow me to turn the lights off or lock the doors at 1.30am, I fail to find the issue funny Wul. This is not a cheap product by any means and was, as GAJ mentioned, not even at beta testing level when it was released to the public. (just before christmas, cynical but true) Dension itself pulled its discusson forum as all of discussion was negative about how the product was not working. Many people have managed to sort some of the problems after downloading and using various updates many have not. I returned mine and received a full refund and wont be buying one again. :(

Wul
8th February 2005, 10:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

I fail to find the issue funny Wul.

I'm sorry if i upset you with my post Heather but I was not making light of the situation you were put in by the product but more of the to-ing and fro-ing" between GAJ and Mikeythemini in this thread. I don't believe my post to be any different to the normal "banter" that goes on in this site.

Big Col
8th February 2005, 10:33 PM
Quick! Someone give me 10cc of melodrama STAT! :D

Heather
8th February 2005, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Quick! Someone give me 10cc of melodrama STAT! :D

You watch WAY too much ER!;)

Big Col
8th February 2005, 10:46 PM
:D

Gismo
8th February 2005, 11:20 PM
I'm hoping to get some kind of Ipod device installed in my car during the next visit to mikeythemini, i'll keep you posted with what i get

Scottie
8th February 2005, 11:31 PM
All this new stuff Ipod Dension whatever way to far advanced for me just give me the humble CD anytime. Infact bring back the 8 track now would be even better:p:D

GAJ
8th February 2005, 11:42 PM
I had a big box of cool 8 track cartridges till quite recently - Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who...

Didn't have a player though!:(

Pmur01
9th February 2005, 02:40 AM
Lads and Heather

Sorry to cause a bit of a stir! But I will check everything out.

Thanks and I'm sure there will be other problems I get.

Phil.

duncan
9th February 2005, 04:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

All this new stuff Ipod Dension whatever way to far advanced for me just give me the humble CD anytime.

Damn right, especially with the new Boost head unit being MP3 compatible

quote:Infact bring back the 8 track now would be even better
Whats an 8 track? Must be way before my time ;):p

Scottie
9th February 2005, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

All this new stuff Ipod Dension whatever way to far advanced for me just give me the humble CD anytime.

Damn right, especially with the new Boost head unit being MP3 compatible

quote:Infact bring back the 8 track now would be even better
Whats an 8 track? Must be way before my time ;):p

I just new someone would nae ken what a 8 track wis.:p

Heather
9th February 2005, 07:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Pmur01

Lads and Heather
Sorry to cause a bit of a stir!

Not at all, debate is good for the soul! Let us know what you go for in the end.:D

Big Col
9th February 2005, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pmur01

Lads and Heather

Sorry to cause a bit of a stir! But I will check everything out.

Thanks and I'm sure there will be other problems I get.

Phil.

Nooooooooo we love a barney in here! :D