PDA

View Full Version : Fire Wall

Mini Me
7th February 2005, 04:39 AM
I need to find a decent fire wall for my P.C, any recomendations:question::question:

duncan
7th February 2005, 06:05 AM
Zonealarm. Its free!

If you've got XP theres one included with that.

Norton can be a bit of a PITA, but seems to do the job ok.

minidriver#1
7th February 2005, 06:31 AM
^^ was he said :)

Although, i prefer the penultimate version of ZA as it interferes less with some things.

Mini Me
7th February 2005, 06:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Zonealarm. Its free!

If you've got XP theres one included with that.

Norton can be a bit of a PITA, but seems to do the job ok.

I do have xp,does that mean i automaticaly have one:question:

duncan
7th February 2005, 06:46 AM
Yes, although its not set on as default.

If you have Service Pack 2, (if you dont, GET IT!!) go to the control panel, and there is an icon called Windows Firewall.

Open that, and switch it on!

duncan
7th February 2005, 06:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

^^ was he said :)

Although, i prefer the penultimate version of ZA as it interferes less with some things.

I had Zonealarm, the free one, running before i bought Norton Internet Security, and didnt have a bother with it.

Have to switch off Norton to open some websites, like Miniusa, and minimotoringgear.com

minidriver#1
7th February 2005, 07:27 AM
thats cos america expects to get on your computer no worries but when its the other way round you get all these security checks. lol.

i have Norton suite installed on my laptop and run it in conjunction with Zonealarm and it works ok.

whatever you do dont buy BlackIce Defender because it sucks so bad.

sleepyrascal
7th February 2005, 10:31 AM
quote:

I had Zonealarm, the free one, running before i bought Norton Internet Security, and didnt have a bother with it.

Have to switch off Norton to open some websites, like Miniusa, and minimotoringgear.com

Norton allows you to name friendly sites as you go along so if it doesnt allow access to miniusa then you simply list it as a friendly site and bobs your grannies daughters brother.

The XP Firewall will not allow acces to miniusa either if it is used at the level of protection offered by norton and you have to list friendly sites in a similar way. It can be a bit fcukabouty but its worht it in the long run. ZA is good but you cant update as you can with norton 'live update'. You can get NOrton on ebay dead cheap, for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3805&item=7115502613.

Wul
7th February 2005, 05:58 PM
My Norton subs expired a while back and i've now uninstalled it as I found it made the PC run sooooooo slow - ie taking 5 mins approx to boot up after the login page on XP - anyone know if the 2005 version is better or why my PC was running so slow?

X30YES
7th February 2005, 09:06 PM
Zonealarm would be my free choice or XP firewall
http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

sleepyrascal
7th February 2005, 10:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

My Norton subs expired a while back and i've now uninstalled it as I found it made the PC run sooooooo slow - ie taking 5 mins approx to boot up after the login page on XP - anyone know if the 2005 version is better or why my PC was running so slow?

My laptop boots in seconds with norton 04 updated to 05 spec. I have never had that problem. It may be the setting within norton which asks it to quick scan every time you start your computer, was switched on. Switch that off and your sorted.

duncan
8th February 2005, 01:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Norton allows you to name friendly sites as you go along so if it doesnt allow access to miniusa then you simply list it as a friendly site and bobs your grannies daughters brother.

Done that, still doesn't allow the java page to open. It'll only let you do it once you disable the firewall.

duncan
8th February 2005, 01:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

I upgraded my 2002 to the 2005 version, and havent really noticed a great difference.

Bought it out of PC World for half price (about 25 pound, i think) back in November-ish.

Craig
8th February 2005, 01:12 AM
Ian,

go to sygate.com and download their personal firewall which is free. Register it and you will get all the updates free also. I have used it for over a year and NEVER (touches lots of wood) had a problem. I also use XP.

It's the best (and easiest) firewall to use that is free IMHO.

Craig

Scottie
8th February 2005, 01:19 AM
I read the title and thought oh Iain must be doing some DIY in his new house.
:p:D

Macafee it's the only one.