PDA

View Full Version : MTH

sean_norrie
2nd February 2005, 11:28 AM
Hey people I have been reading some posts on MTH and am wondering what it is.:IIs it something to do with the softwear in the car?? Can I get in done in Aberfreeze and is it worth doing:question:

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2005, 05:21 PM
MTH is remapping of the cars ECU. I have it in my S, and am very impressed with it for the price. I havent driven a cooper with it installed but some of the threads on Mini2 reckon that it is a worthwhile mod - especially as it only costs about 40 quid. I have the cable and am in Aberdeen and would be willing to assist you in installing the software if you are interested.

Moonshine
2nd February 2005, 05:51 PM
Ive just done it to my cooper with martins cable and i'd say its worth it. The power feels up, but the biggest benefit is it is easier to drive as midrange is smoothed out and boosted and there is more torque below 4K. Rev limit is up to 7250 and the traction cpntrol modification is very good. I guess the bigger benefits would be found in the MO and MCS, but it is noticable in the MC

Well worth the £40 in my book - if it was £250, i would be less impressed.

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2005, 05:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine

Ive just done it to my cooper with martins cable and i'd say its worth it. The power feels up, but the biggest benefit is it is easier to drive as midrange is smoothed out and boosted and there is more torque below 4K. Rev limit is up to 7250 and the traction cpntrol modification is very good. I guess the bigger benefits would be found in the MO and MCS, but it is noticable in the MC

Well worth the £40 in my book - if it was £250, i would be less impressed.

Moonshine has pretty much summed it up - if anything the traction control mod is probably worth the 40 quid in itself.

Big Col
2nd February 2005, 06:16 PM
What would this do to warranty MS?

Big Gordy
2nd February 2005, 06:39 PM
I think you know the answer to that already Col;) They say its undetectable when plugged into the BMW diagnostic thingamybob;) :p:D:approve:

Moonshine
2nd February 2005, 06:40 PM
my dealer is happy with it (They were doing Hartge tunes before the JCW came out) and Hartge use MTH ECU remaps

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2005, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

I think you know the answer to that already Col;) They say its undetectable when plugged into the BMW diagnostic thingamybob;) :p:D:approve:

As Gordy says it is undetectable by standard dealer equipment. You can also change it back to standard in a couple of minutes.

Also as Moonshine says the MTH remap is used in the Hartge conversion (and some other companies conversions).

Big Gordy
2nd February 2005, 07:53 PM
Ooooooooooooh:eek:I sooooo want to do this to our 'ONE'8) Do you think she'd notice the difference:question:;) :p:D:approve:

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2005, 07:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Ooooooooooooh:eek:I sooooo want to do this to our 'ONE'8) Do you think she'd notice the difference:question:;) :p:D:approve:

:D NAH!!!! maybe just a little bit. You know the offer is there Gordy

sw
2nd February 2005, 09:00 PM
Sorry to sound daft but I have never heard of this before I have a cooper, can someone please take the time and explain it to me?

Moonshine
2nd February 2005, 09:04 PM
essentially it is a revised software map. You register on the MTH website, pay approx £40 , downlad some software and a activation key from the website. Buy beg, borrow or steal a cable to link a laptop to the car (martin has one), download the ECU map from your car, send it via email to a firm called MTH in Germany who tinker with some peramaters and send it back to you. You upload it to the car and hey presto - 10 - 15 hp more and a lot more drivability.Do a search on here or mini2 for MTH for more detailed info.

Gerry

sean_norrie
3rd February 2005, 03:12 AM
Cheers folks.Martin I would be interested in but as am offshore untill the 16th its not an option at the moment.But when I get back its something I would like to get done.

Big Col
3rd February 2005, 04:45 PM
Big G it may be undetectable by the BMW standard dealer equipment but your dealer reads this website! :p

Big Gordy
3rd February 2005, 05:07 PM
Col, oor mini is nearly 2 years old and still hasn't seen the inside of the dealers:I so the chances opf them remembering it are pretty slim me thinks;) unless minime grasses me up:evil:;) :p:D:approve:

Wul
3rd February 2005, 05:55 PM
What not even for a service? that engine oil must be kinda manky by noo!! :p

Wul
3rd February 2005, 05:56 PM
Martin - hows the MTH mod affected your fuel consumption figures?

MartinSullivan
3rd February 2005, 06:22 PM
I dont keep an eye too closely on my MPH - in case it depresses me too much, but on a long run down to manchester I used to have to refuel about 50 miles short of home. The past 3 times since I installed the MTH I have made it to within 10 miles of home before needing to refuel.

Big Gordy
3rd February 2005, 09:48 PM
quote: What not even for a service? that engine oil must be kinda manky by noo!!
Wul I've tried umpteen times to get them to service it early:mad: I normally change the oil and filter yearly but they said BMW wouldn't do it under the TLC:evil:First they said 18 months but when that came they moved the goalposts to two years:disapprove: It just doesn't feel right, to me:I leaving it that long but they obviously have there reasons:blackeye:I have to take it in for the brake fluid change at 2 years so they can do the lot then :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
3rd February 2005, 09:51 PM
Ohhhh I should have said........its only done 5300miles since May03:eek::I8) <note to self 'must take it for a thrash more often'> :p:D:approve:

Big Col
3rd February 2005, 11:05 PM
Well the car analyses the oil (I think) so in theory it should be fine big G.

Wul
4th February 2005, 12:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Well the car analyses the oil (I think) so in theory it should be fine big G.

Eh!? 8) Who told you that Col - I seriously doubt it! the car works out the mileage to the next service based on how its driven but to check if the oil is degrading would be an impressive bit o kit!! I hope that wasnae the deal breaker Col? :p

Gordy i read somewhere i'm sure that the TLC now asks the oil to be changed yearly if it doesnae reach the mileage - otherwise your 5 years could be up and the oil never gets changed!!

Maybe minime can assist here!!??

duncan
4th February 2005, 12:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
(I think)

Did it hurt? :eek::p;)

Moonshine
18th February 2005, 05:39 PM
I've now got a serial cable that will enable a laptop to carry out MTH tunes, based Glasgow Area if anyone needs to borrow it.

Gerry

GAJ
18th February 2005, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine

I've now got a serial cable that will enable a laptop to carry out MTH tunes, based Glasgow Area if anyone needs to borrow it.
Gerry

Mmm!

Joe
19th February 2005, 09:04 PM
Hello moonshine, might take you up on the offer after i get my mini serviced next month. Thats if the offer still stands

Moonshine
19th February 2005, 11:04 PM
yeah i't will stand - gust let me know

gerry

The Bull
23rd February 2005, 03:18 AM
What is the cable like? Is it just a 9-pin D type serial cable at both ends?

MartinSullivan
23rd February 2005, 04:04 AM
Its a usb or serial at the laptop end and

http://www.littlemini.us/gallerypix/mth/DSCN0771.jpg like this at the OBD II port end

Big Col
23rd February 2005, 04:52 PM
HAW MINIME! Whit's the script wae Gordy's oil? Why you guys no taking him in for a service! WHIT'S THE SCRIPT MAN!!!!

:)

The Bull
24th February 2005, 01:06 AM
Thanks VM for the pic Martin.

MartinSullivan
24th February 2005, 01:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

Thanks VM for the pic Martin.

No probs - there is a "black box" in the middle of the cable as well