PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky Door Hinge

Craig
29th January 2005, 01:25 AM
I have a very squeeky/grinding door hinge on the driver's side. Has anybody else had this? Is it a know fault? I have tried the usual (clean it and lubricate), but it still seems to make the noise. Minime????? any suggestions. Will be in soon for a service so might just add it to "the list"....

Wul
29th January 2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Craig - there been a few issues regarding the retaining strap on the MINI (the rusty looking bit between the hinges as you look at the inside edge of the door!) On my 02 Coop is squeaked and got lubed in coppaslip at every service - but on my 04 S it's plastic coated so doesn't make a noise!!

What year is your MINI?

AberdeenMini
30th January 2005, 03:07 AM
Craig i have the same squeaks on my jan 02 cooper. I just get the wd40 out and use the whole can. Usually leaves me squeak free for a couple of months!

Gismo
30th January 2005, 03:25 AM
WD40 is an effective temporary repair, once it dries out it's useless, for long term effect get a silicone based spray from your local hardware store, apply a small amount and work the door back and forward :cool:

GAJ
30th January 2005, 07:39 AM
WD40 is actually the worse thing you can use as it will very effectively remove all the grease!

AberdeenMini
30th January 2005, 11:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

WD40 is an effective temporary repair, once it dries out it's useless, for long term effect get a silicone based spray from your local hardware store, apply a small amount and work the door back and forward :cool:

Cheers bonni i will try that, can you remember the name of the stuff?

Craig
31st January 2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reply's, thought our resident corporate monkey :p might have made an appearance and given some advice, but he's only interested in shifting metal...;)

Gismo
31st January 2005, 02:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by AberdeenMini
Cheers bonni i will try that, can you remember the name of the stuff?
Sorry, can't remember and i'm offshore, but, simply ask for a silicon based spray

Wul
31st January 2005, 06:09 AM
copaslip is a great alternative :)