Big Col
28th January 2005, 06:46 PM
let your dealer wash your car! My roofs all swirl marks! :(

Heather
28th January 2005, 06:50 PM
Ohh dear! Are they bad?

Big Col
28th January 2005, 07:09 PM
I think they are but it might just be me. The poor lil guys only a 13 days old. :(

minidriver#1
28th January 2005, 07:09 PM
i made a point to JC's never to wash the car if it is in for work. they do the same thing.

Scottie
28th January 2005, 07:22 PM
My Cabrio is a disgrace with swirl marks etc but I made the mistake of switching on those portable halogen lamps stand things that Allan has in the garage shined them on to the body work of the car oh my god what a shock:eek: its a mess but not to bad in daylight.

The car is going in for three days to the body shop to get polished with that machine thing.

They say that it will get rid of 80/90% to be seen with the naked eye in daylight but 20% will still show up under those damm lights.:disapprove:

Big Col
28th January 2005, 07:36 PM
They used that machine on the roof of my old mini and it left huge parallel lines of scratches on it that showed up terribly in the sun! <shudders>

minidriver#1
28th January 2005, 09:48 PM
the polishing machine thingy, how does that work exactly? i mean its not like tcutting is it?

Crombers
28th January 2005, 10:14 PM
What a bummer :eek:, did they use a feckin brush !!
Read a few posts like this before so when MC is in for its 1st dervice (3K to go) I,ll make sure they dont go near the thing.

Speaking of which , when I orderded my car I opted for the 5 year Diamondbrite package (£200 me thinks this was a Henry Bros promo type thing , maybe minime would know more) which means you get a full valet at every service. Will need to reinvestigate further to see what they will be doing.

Julz
28th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Megs Scratch-X!!;):D

Mini Me
29th January 2005, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
let your dealer wash your car! My roofs all swirl marks! :(

:(think i'll need to get on to 3M about the 40 grit sponges:disapprove::p
It's only a power washer,not hand washed so i'm buggerd if i know how that happened but to be fair black roofs can be hard work:eek::blackeye:

eddie 44
29th January 2005, 05:32 AM
i always try to clean my car before i put it into dealer,
it was in on monday for new wheels and cd player :):)
i think they take that little bit more care if they see
you really take pride in your wee car :D
when i picked it up they said they did,nt wash it as it
was so clean.........:p:p:p

Wul
29th January 2005, 09:22 AM
Big C - you know my stance on this one - feel for you mate!! :disapprove:

You should try a Fully black MINI - on my second one and will NEVER EVER let the dealer wash it again after what happened to me first one.

As Julz said a dose of Scratch X and a coat of wax should see you right - BTW most good waxes have a filling ability which means that any deeper scratches are much less noticable as the wax removes the ability for the ligh to catch the edge of the scratch.

Scottie
30th January 2005, 03:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
They used that machine on the roof of my old mini and it left huge parallel lines of scratches on it that showed up terribly in the sun! <shudders>

now you've got me wondering should I get this done or not.

the guy said he would need the car for three days to do the job proper.

wul what do you think.:question:

Wul
30th January 2005, 09:33 AM
Fiona - a rotary buffer in the wrong hands is a recipe for disaster!! but in the right hands can work miracles in a fraction of the time it would hand applying.

You need to satisfy yourself that the people you are going to are experienced!

I've got a porter cable now which is a dual action random orbit polisher and it is prctically impossible to burn the paint with that wee beauty!! :)

euan
31st January 2005, 06:45 PM
To be honest, the ease at which Megs went on, I struggle to see why you would need anything to automate the process.

I know all about the swirls though, my old Golf was a nightmare when I got her.