PDA

View Full Version : ECU

sean_norrie
26th January 2005, 06:22 PM
Has anyone had the ECU re-mapped on there cooper.Is it worth doing??

mgemie
26th January 2005, 06:24 PM
I'm eventually going to have my ONE ECU-remapped but not for sometime yet.... as far as i believe the power increase gained from coopers with ECU-mod isnt that significant (unlike ONEs). However, i'll shutup now and give someone with a ECU-modded MC a chance to post with their opinion.

The Dogfather
26th January 2005, 06:29 PM
I'm sure BS will be along soon. The MC doesn't lend itself to tunning and remapping the ECU does little, if anything to improve performance.

I'd spend the money on making it sound faster. Or on suspension or brakes these will actually make a difference to the car's overall performance.

sean_norrie
26th January 2005, 06:41 PM
So what mods can I get to improve performance because coming from a Porsche to a Mini is a big down step in performance and the Cooper as standard is a bit sluggish for me.

Julz
26th January 2005, 07:00 PM
Porsche to a mini... good choice;) Ideally, an S with a BBR upgrade is the way to go as I can now tail my hubby in his 964 for a wee bittie longer before I have to wave bye bye to him!!;):D

Gismo
26th January 2005, 07:04 PM
As already suggested the Cooper does not lend itself to tuning, you can replace the filter to help the engine breathe better, but, any other mods really do nothing for performance.
Most magazines have covered the lack of gaining many more horses and there are some threads on here and MINI2.

But, as demonstrated by our resident expert driver ;) John (Zoooooom) a Cooper can be more than a match for any non and highly modded Cooper S.

In this instance it is down to the drivers ability and keeping the Cooper on the limit on the open road track 8) i don't know of anyone who has managed to pull away from him.
In a straight line he should be beaten :evil: but never in the twisty roads :p

So, if you seek extra power etc i suggest you move up to an S, if that is still not enough then some mods etc

I'm a bit puzzled why you chose a Cooper instead of an S when changing from the Porsche especially as you're looking for a bit more power, anyway, hope that helps :)

The Dogfather
26th January 2005, 07:10 PM
John - Resident expert driver? Resident nutter! :eek:

But only in a good way ;)

sean_norrie
27th January 2005, 12:29 AM
I went for the Cooper over the S because my pocket wasnt deep enough for the S thats the only reason!!