PDA

View Full Version : SUV/4x4's Off Roaders :: Good or Bad? Discuss

Wul
26th January 2005, 06:01 PM
<Wul puts on hard hat and heads for shelter>

After waching a bit on Watchdog last night about this subject thought i'd start off the debate on here too.

My own personal opinion is theres no need for them in cities really - can see all the attractive qualitites of them but the couple of them parked in my street make a reet balls up for the parking for all the rest of us "normal" car drivers.

Discuss

8):)

Edit: Thread title clarified so's not to include 4x4 cars! :I

The Dogfather
26th January 2005, 06:27 PM
I think the real problem is lack of education. Most people don't realise they are more dangerous in an accident, less stable in all conditions on road, slower, thirstier and less roomy inside than a similarly priced car.

Most never get used offroad, ever.

euan
26th January 2005, 06:46 PM
there is a VERY lively debate on this on MINI2, it actually got pulled after the 1st day because our American cousins took offence and everyone was told to behave.

There was a program on a couple of weeks ago that was on for an hour about the Americans love of SUV. It was reasonably balanced, but the end result was the same as usual - pointless cars, no need for them.

They had one guy showing you round a big SUV (can't recall the name) boasting about how the air con was powerful enough to heat a house. I mean, why? So your one up with the neighbours? I don't want peer pressure to say "Why don't you drive an X5/X3/Hummer/etc/etc?"

In saying that, I love the interior of the Range Rover. Still not enough to buy one though.

euan
26th January 2005, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah, the thing that really kicked it off on M2 was that American's will buy anything, all American cars are badly built out of poor materials with technology from the ice age.

My view - the car companies make a packet off these things, they don't need to innovate on them so don't bother as they know someone will buy them.

However, some do innovate - The Tourag for example with the W10 diesel - not THAT'S an engine.

Burple
26th January 2005, 07:21 PM
Ok... I'm gonna have to keep this short (like myself;)) so the ol' arteries don't pop... ;)

<rant>
Unless you live and work on a farm or deep deep in the countryside with no reliable means of keeping the roads clear, WHY would anyone need a 4 wheel drive OFF ROAD VEHICLE? This goes Especially (but not exclusively) for the 2.5 rugrat, school-run mummies who have no concept of how to drive, never mind PARK the damn things!!!!

And as for the hmm.. well.. IDIOT in the silver Mitsubishi pick-up Small-Willy-Extender who came through the traffic calming islands in Wallyford the other morning AGAINST THE RIGHT OF WAY (and made me stand the car on it's nose) while giving me the finger... That about says it all really!

Right, I'm going to stop now before I upset anyone... ;););):D:p
</rant>

euan
26th January 2005, 08:08 PM
You should see it round where I live (round the corner, I live in the cheap bit ;)) - lot's of "Yummy Mummy" type with where the wife's car is usually the SUV/Merc estate/Audi estate.

I don't mind the big estate cars, practical etc and mostly diesel. It's the Jeeps who just have no concept of how big they are. There is a school in the next street and I daren't think how far they actually live from the school but use a car. It's a narrow road, no place for the an SUV. Also, the whole safety thing gets my goat up. They aren't safe, but we'll end up like the states with people buying bigger and bigger cars to feel safer in.

The other telling thing - a lot of these things have badly kerbed wheels. Who needs expensive alloys on an SUV? If I lived in the middle of nowhere where the road often was crappy I'd think maybe I should get one. But not in town.

Put it this way. If I was a customer and wanted an solution that required safe and comfort transport for 4 people round a town and someone proposed an SUV, it wouldn't be deemed "fit for purpose"....

Scottch
26th January 2005, 10:37 PM
Peeps,

There's lots of other reasons to buy an SUV.

But then, there's also freedom of choice, and none of your business - and think about this, if there's ever a movement against what kind of cars we drive, don't we all lose?

Cheers!

Scott
(who only very recently sold his kerb jumping, school running, unsafe, eco-deadly, unstable, kerbed wheeled, penis enhancing, gas guzzling, brain reducing, huge on the outside, tiny on the inside X5)

The Dogfather
26th January 2005, 11:04 PM
Scott - I agree with you on freedom of choice, I choose to bitch about bloody 4x4s ;). Well the ones used on the school run at least!

Glad you saw sense and downsized to a MINI :D

Scottch
26th January 2005, 11:10 PM
Paul,

The MINI is me Julie's - I never sacrificed the X5 for it.

And the only time the X5 was really used on the school run was when we we traded her old car and were waiting on the MINI arriving. No parking problems then, funnily enough ;)

Now, a MINI with a supercharger?? Where's the sense in that!!! lol

I'll get me coat!

Cheers!

Scott

sleepyrascal
26th January 2005, 11:58 PM
We have a 4x4 for many reasons. 1. you can get almost anything you could ever want to carry in your car, in. 2. you can drive anywhere in the snow etc without the worry of getting stuck. 3. We use it on the site which is full of pot holes and would wreck a normal car. 4. They are much more comfortable on a long journey. The company also have a few defenders simply because they go anywhere and last forever! end of!

There are many more reasons. Suvs are not all bad. Take the crv for example. probably more economical than your cooper s's, cheaper, safer, more practical etc. Tryt doing the school run in a mini!!!!! To be honest, I would much rather do a school run in a range rover which has been designed to carry families rather than minis which have been designed to carry tiny people in the back.

Burple
27th January 2005, 12:19 AM
Whatever happened to kids walking to school or getting the bus like we always did?
There were never millions of cars around the school gates in those days...
School run?? That's what we did when we were LATE!!!! pfff..
People really are getting soft these days!:D
Why don't we just wrap EVERYTHING in cotton wool??

And before anyone takes a hissy fit, I jest.... wll most of it. seriously, give your precious little darlings some fresh air while we still have some left! ;):p

sleepyrascal
27th January 2005, 01:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Whatever happened to kids walking to school or getting the bus like we always did?
There were never millions of cars around the school gates in those days...
School run?? That's what we did when we were LATE!!!! pfff..
People really are getting soft these days!:D
Why don't we just wrap EVERYTHING in cotton wool??

And before anyone takes a hissy fit, I jest.... wll most of it. seriously, give your precious little darlings some fresh air while we still have some left! ;):p

I think given the number of child rapes, abductions, assaults over the past 3 years alone, the idea of kids (young ones that is) walking to school is a thing of the past. What a crappy planet to live on!

euan
27th January 2005, 01:09 AM
OK, you can see how this gets out of hand.

I'm not all against them - for example if you drive over sites with pot holes etc etc - I've no problem with that at all. If I ever had a need for one in those circumstances, I'd get one. My issue is with the American ones - the ones that are bigger than you would ever need a car to be, that run on leaf springs and 40 year old chassis and engine combos etc etc.

And all for freedom of choice. It's why none of us have identical MINIs.

Gismo
27th January 2005, 01:11 AM
Trying not to get involved in this debate :p but, for all the mums and dads who drive their single child to school, surely could walk themselves and get the benefit of the fresh air too
They could even organise it so that they get other kids on the way and take turn about ;)

euan
27th January 2005, 01:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
Trying not to get involved in this debate

Think that's a smart move

Heather
27th January 2005, 01:30 AM
I have to agree with LnL. The phrase "there is nothing to fear except fear itself".The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to this. Attacks on children have not statistically increased since the 1970's. The school run is possibly a product of two working parents and percieved lack of time to walk children to school. Personally I think SUV's and the ilk are a pain in the erse. Living in a big city I see no need to buy one. Rural areas, I think, are different.

The Dogfather
27th January 2005, 01:33 AM
I blame the Americans!

Sleepy - it sounds like you got an offroader to go off road which is fine that's what they are designed for, trouble is most never venture out of the city.

As for the MINI vs 4x4 on a school run, why not a MINI? That's unless you need more than 5 seats why not just have a car like a Zafria or Scenic with a diesel engine. That's unless the 4x4 are a fashion thing (which they are), and that's why I blame the Americans.

Scott does that mean you'll be looking to replace the X5?

The Dogfather
27th January 2005, 01:34 AM
Well said Heather!

Burple
27th January 2005, 01:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Yup... exactly.
That's why I went fishing a little bit. Any innocuous comment can lead to all sorts of flame wars...

Each to their own right enough, but those who own these beasts really should possess the extra awareness needed to cope with the physical size/ performance/ road presence etc of such a vehicle. Perhaps extra driving lessons/ tests like HGV drivers need? ;)
Without the vanity of the "I don't need extra lessons, I can drive perfectly well" brigade...

So.. here's a question for 4x4 owners... (purely hypothetical - not starting a debate or argument, or trying to offend, honest kids). What if your child was run over by someone (who was NOT competently in control of the vehicle) taking their own kids to or from school in a similar monster truck ;) would you be happy in the knowledge that their family was safe and snug inside the 2 1/2 tons of truck that had just squashed your child?

I'm just saying, cos I'd sure as hell take my chances with a normal car! :D

Burple
27th January 2005, 01:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

I have to agree with LnL. The phrase "there is nothing to fear except fear itself".The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to this. Attacks on children have not statistically increased since the 1970's.

Cheers Heather... That's exactly what I was looking for, but I couldn't find the facts to back it up. The sad fact is that it seems there are more attacks etc on children because youngsters these days have a lot more courage to speak up about these things. even more sad that they happen at all, and that the Media gets their grubby mitts on the stories and adds the fear!

sleepyrascal
27th January 2005, 02:11 AM

I'm not all against them - for example if you drive over sites with pot holes etc etc - I've no problem with that at all. If I ever had a need for one in those circumstances, I'd get one. My issue is with the American ones - the ones that are bigger than you would ever need a car to be, that run on leaf springs and 40 year old chassis and engine combos etc etc.

And all for freedom of choice. It's why none of us have identical MINIs.

Sorry. I am with you on the american beasts!! Fuel is so cheap over there that there is no reason not to drive them unless you have concerns about the environment which no american seems to have. None I have met anyway.

As for walking your kids to school, I wouldn't have thought many parents have the time to walk kids to school given that mums who dont work are pretty rare these days and most Dads do as standard. I said most, not all! Im out. Im just a trouble maker :D:D:D:D:D

Wul
27th January 2005, 02:52 AM
To add a slight tangent on this discussion the Government have not helped matters.

When they changed the tax laws on Company cars to CO2 emmissions based they left the loop hole that is the Mitsubishi LS200!! The 4x4 Pick-up truck that is taxed as a company van - these things are also a nightmare - here at work we have 6 none of which have seen there wheels on a muddy site apart from the site car park! And when they decend to the office car park they take up 2 spaces as they cannae park them right due to not being able to see out the fibreglass canopy. Given my current car allowance debate - this makes these gits even more a bitter pill! :disapprove:

GAJ
27th January 2005, 02:59 AM
They're fine for farmers! Nuff said!

Scottie
27th January 2005, 04:36 AM
well i never go away for a few days come back any your slagging the 4x4's.:(

Touaregs;) rule

our V10 is just dandy couldn't manage without it

don't have kids

mini wouldn't tow the caravan van 26ft weight 1750kilos or horse box

lived in the country all of most life

Scottch
27th January 2005, 04:48 AM
Grasshoppers,

Snatch the pebble from my hand!
Opinions are like bumholes - everyone has one ;)
And SUV's arent just for fashion, they also make fabulous towing vehicles and are particularily excellent if you have a boat that needs taking out of the water every now and then (up and down slippery slopes with big trailers on) or if you have horses and the associated horse box to lug around.

And whether you like it or not, if you had to buy one vehicle that absolutely had to be able to do everything, including those bits I've mentioned here, I'm sure you'd agree the SUV is the automotive swiss army knife that can do everything. I'll agree they not be the best solution for every task, but who can afford a car for every task?

And if you're argument against them is that they're unstable, difficult to control then I'm afraid you haven't driven the latest generation of these machines - go and take an X5 for a demo (though technically never marketed as an SUV, but as an SAV) and I'm sure you'll change your mind, well, at least alter your perspective.

But hey, opinions ..... ;)

Cheers!

Scott
p.s. Paul, the X5 was traded in, though not for another X5!!
Good job I didn't, I'd be at the end of a long rope by now

Scottie
27th January 2005, 04:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Grasshoppers,

Snatch the pebble from my hand!
Opinions are like bumholes - everyone has one ;)
And SUV's arent just for fashion, they also make fabulous towing vehicles and are particularily excellent if you have a boat that needs taking out of the water every now and then (up and down slippery slopes with big trailers on) or if you have horses and the associated horse box to lug around.

And whether you like it or not, if you had to buy one vehicle that absolutely had to be able to do everything, including those bits I've mentioned here, I'm sure you'd agree the SUV is the automotive swiss army knife that can do everything. I'll agree they not be the best solution for every task, but who can afford a car for every task?

And if you're argument against them is that they're unstable, difficult to control then I'm afraid you haven't driven the latest generation of these machines - go and take an X5 for a demo (though technically never marketed as an SUV, but as an SAV) and I'm sure you'll change your mind, well, at least alter your perspective.

But hey, opinions ..... ;)

Cheers!

Scott
p.s. Paul, the X5 was traded in, though not for another X5!!
Good job I didn't, I'd be at the end of a long rope by now

Scott a X5:p will give you a wave as we zoom past in the V10 Touareg with AMD upgrade.

See the thing is until you drive the likes of the X5 Touareg Volvo etc you they just don't know how good they handle

duncan
27th January 2005, 04:57 AM
I wouldnt ban them, we live in a kind of democracy, but I'd try and deter them from town centres by making car parking spaces for "average" cars, and reducing the height in car parks. I wish tescos would mark spaces for small cars, and get the larger cars further from the front door anyway!

I'm with you Heather on the walking to school business, but thats the sensationalist media we have for you.

And any car thats average fuel consuption is as low as some cars, or more acurately not vans/lorries, should be taxed in a very much higher catagory.

And if your buying an off roader for its load hauling, and high view - get a transit!

Scottch
27th January 2005, 05:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Scott a X5:p will give you a wave as we zoom past in the V10 Touareg with AMD upgrade.

See the thing is until you drive the likes of the X5 Touareg Volvo etc you they just don't know how good they handle

Fi,

We'll never know - the X5 went a couple of weekends ago.

And you could've tried to zoom by all you like, even with the AMD rechip, that clattery smoke belching oil burner would've still only been making the same sort of power as my X5 did as standard :p

Cheers!

Scott

Scottie
27th January 2005, 05:08 AM

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Fi,

We'll never know - the X5 went a couple of weekends ago.

And you could've tried to zoom by all you like, even with the AMD rechip, that clattery smoke belching oil burner would've still only been making the same sort of power as my X5 did as standard :p

Cheers!

Scott

you think so 5 litre V10 against a wee X5 don't think so.

What you got now.

Scottie
27th January 2005, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I wouldnt ban them, we live in a kind of democracy, but I'd try and deter them from town centres by making car parking spaces for "average" cars, and reducing the height in car parks. I wish tescos would mark spaces for small cars, and get the larger cars further from the front door anyway!

I'm with you Heather on the walking to school business, but thats the sensationalist media we have for you.

And any car thats average fuel consuption is as low as some cars, or more acurately not vans/lorries, should be taxed in a very much higher catagory.

And if your buying an off roader for its load hauling, and high view - get a transit!

sorry Duncan a transit could nae haul sh*t;) been there done that
anyway whats worse than white van man.

duncan
27th January 2005, 05:20 AM
Youve obviously had the wrong transit!
Did you not see the one that they had on a track in 5th Gear?
The new TDCi ones go like the clappers, and ours is laden down quite a bit, but still shifts.

And does your X5 have a microwave, fridge and Urn? :p

Scottch
27th January 2005, 05:21 AM
Have you had any trouble with your V10?
I know of 3 in Central Scotland that have spilled their guts across the motorway, and one of
them was AMD'd also.

And that coal burner wouldn't stand a chance ;)

Cheers!

Scott

Scottch
27th January 2005, 05:25 AM

The new TDCi ones go like the clappers, and ours is laden down quite a bit, but still shifts.

Dunc,

We own 3 transits in the company, great vehicles! And I'd wholeheartedly agree about going like the clappers, and load lugging.

Wouldn't fancy trying to pull a horsebox out a muddy field while carrying 5 people in complete comfort though.

Great tools mind, just not the job they're for IMO.

Cheers!

Scott

duncan
27th January 2005, 05:30 AM
Agreed, the muddy fields are a bit "interesting" at times. Only had this one stuck once, but that was in a very soft muddy field. Wish we had the 4x4 conversion though.

The old one was a nightmare, it got stuck so much easier.

Scottch
27th January 2005, 05:34 AM

Agreed, the muddy fields are a bit "interesting" at times. Only had this one stuck once, but that was in a very soft muddy field. Wish we had the 4x4 conversion though.

The old one was a nightmare, it got stuck so much easier.

Absolutely mate!

I've shoved our old tranny more times than I care to remember :)

And haven't had enough chance to drive the new ones in simialr conditions, thankfully!

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
27th January 2005, 05:47 AM
I take you point about the X5/XC90 they sit between a normal car and a pukka SUV.

I think the point some people were trying to make that 4x4s are OK for what they are designed for which would include towing, however when one the size of a Landcruiser Amazon gets used by the twinset brigade to drop the kids of at the gymkana (spelling?) that takes the piss.....

Like I said they are just a fashion fad for the private school set.

Scottie
27th January 2005, 06:29 AM

I've got a Touareg.

what about the white van man menace off the road.

I must be the scurge of the road to other drivers not only do we have a 4x4 but a caravan aswell.;)

Scottie
27th January 2005, 06:36 AM

Have you had any trouble with your V10?
I know of 3 in Central Scotland that have spilled their guts across the motorway, and one of
them was AMD'd also.

And that coal burner wouldn't stand a chance ;)

Cheers!

Scott

Some horror for early built Touaregs but must say not any worse than the X5 going by the forums.

don't want to tempt fate but after 8 months of ownership :D

Astrohaggis
27th January 2005, 08:26 AM
My 2p: we all know how many totally appalling numpties there are driving around, and you feel safer in a 4x4 because they're less likely to try and run you off the road cos you're bigger than them. Also, you do get better visibility and they are easier to load with lots of stuff than an estate. And there are loads of "main" roads which have more potholes than a farm track!

Having said that, they are more likely to roll and they are very thirsty. But I don't know why people are picking on 4x4s - massive estates and huge exec saloons are just as bad. :mad:

minidriver#1
27th January 2005, 08:58 AM
i'm not going to hold back on SUVs.... grrrrr

basically i see SUVs as completely worthless unless you utilise them for the purpose that they were built. Its got to the extent where i cant help but stereotype those that drive them, just like BMW drivers cant indicate; which is so true btw.

I dont let SUV drivers out at junctions etc because i just hate SUVs, i dont let them bully me on the road either, an encounter with a moron in a Mitsu Warrior proved this.

If you want to carry stuff in your car, buy an estate, you'll probably get more in it.

if you tow a horsebox then you probably need an SUV, but the people i have problems with are those that never use the SUV for off road purposes. Why drive an SUV on public roads for your entire ownership of the vehicle?

I was at Donald Kirks body shop the other day and saw an SUV, an X5, that looked like it had been thrown onto its side for a few hundred yards, a complete mess down one side, looked structurally sound and no doubt the occupants were safe, but if i was to get hit by an SUV driver i'd damn well make sure i did some damage to their vehicle, criminal damage or not.

The way some people are defending SUV's you'd think we lived in India or the depths of the jungle or something. I've seen Mitsu Evos in India do things off road that an SUV couldnt. I bet Hindustan Motors' Ambassador could sh*t on most SUVs when it comes to off roading. I've seen it. lol.

I hope the Mayor of London bans SUVs from the center and i hope many more cities follow suit. The SUV has no place on public roads without good reason.

Also you are right, people are allowed to choose. And i know millions of people would choose not to pick up a relative, loved one or friend who has died due to injuries directly related to the fact it was an SUV that hit em and not a car. Bullbars or no bullbars.

Also i think it comes down to money. how many Range Rover Vogue owners do you think take their SUVs off roading? if i had one of those i know damn sure i wouldnt.

Oh, and I bought a £75 fiesta and its brilliant off road, great fun, even scraped the undercarriage off a kerb once, got a bit of smoke but other than that it kept going. hahaha

GAJ
27th January 2005, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

I bet Hindustan Motors' Ambassador could sh*t on most SUVs when it comes to off roading. I've seen it. lol.

It's a shame they are so bad on the road! They seem to come from the factory with totally bald tyres. Indian tyres do have wear indicators, when they are so worn that the wire begins to fray they get replaced! Not the most comfortable of motors!

Wul
27th January 2005, 07:11 PM
A lot of transit drivers are a disgrace (I work beside loads of them!!) eh Dunc? ;) But you'll find the design of most vans is such that they have a sloping front and generally their headlights are probably lower than your average disco's blunt end with bull bars!!

I did not start this thread to have a dig at the people who genuinely have an SUV to tow or work etc - it was specific to the inner city morons who take up 2 spaces and when squeezing down a street with parked cars on both sides think that they automatically have right of way and want you to reverse back down the street!! :mad:

Scottie
27th January 2005, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

A lot of transit drivers are a disgrace (I work beside loads of them!!) eh Dunc? ;) But you'll find the design of most vans is such that they have a sloping front and generally their headlights are probably lower than your average disco's blunt end with bull bars!!

But worse than that are the lorry drivers

Not to mention the bus drivers.

I just cannae wait til the twilight run when all types of motor are invited we'll have our mini and our Touareg as part of the mytouareg club.

Thinking about it I'll link this thread to them and ask if any would like to join the run.

Is that ok Paul.

I cannae stand this any more I'm off to the 4x4 forum

Scottie
27th January 2005, 07:43 PM
I've got broad sholders here you go guys.

seems you were right for people outside the car:(

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=9&id2=210

But good if your kids etc are inside the car.

Slopes off tail between the legs;)

Oh wait a minute check out the results for MINI'S. ;)
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=1&id2=112

Wul
27th January 2005, 07:53 PM
Good informative link Scottie :)

MINI results:
Pedestrian Quote: This was a poor performance, but the bonnet leading edge proved to be not as bad as the rest of the pedestrian impact area.

:eek:

BMW X5 Pedestrian Quote: High vehicles pose problems for pedestrians, especially children, and the X-5 is no exception. Its front is unfriendly and its bonnet top little better; a poor rating.

Only the volvo in this section gets 2 stars the rest have 1!

Edit: Removed the double link with Scottiecoop's post :I

The Dogfather
27th January 2005, 08:50 PM
Scottie - Bring the Touaregs along more the merrier!

Big Col
27th January 2005, 10:21 PM
<wanders in> I rekon people can drive what they like. Makes no difference to my life. There's probably a site somewhere that says MINI drivers are all dangerous speed freaks, or saying that they're just too small to be safe. Hating people because of the car they drive is a bit stupid if you ask me. <wander back out>

Burple
27th January 2005, 10:46 PM
quote:

sorry Duncan a transit could nae haul sh*t;) been there done that
anyway whats worse than white van man.

A white van man in a 4X4???
bwah hah hah hah hah hah...

Sorry... couldn't help meself :D

euan
27th January 2005, 11:29 PM
I agree with the comments re:SUV in town - my hatrid of SUV is limited to those used round where I live that take up too much space on too narrow roads. I hope Ken does ban them in central London - anyone who lives out in the sticks gets the train in anyway.

If they are used properly, no issue.

Big estates etc are slightly different as they would have better pedestrian safety than a huge 4x4. Cue web links to prove the opposite.

I think the fact that this thread has just shy of 50 posts shows how emotive the subject is...

Willie M
28th January 2005, 05:28 PM
Took me a while to get involved in this one but;

Lived in country / rural areas for 14 years. Vehicles have truly been used 'off road' on various occasions. Have been known to drag horses, boats, various trailers around behind me.
Answer = Range Rover :approve: Sorted!

I do however disagree with the school run / fashion statement fraternity. There's a wifey lives near us who drives all of 400 yards to the school and back in her X5 to drop off and collect the kids. 400 yards for goodness sake :mad:

Scottch
28th January 2005, 08:02 PM
Besides, they're great for bouncing mini's out the way for that best parking spot right at the shop door!! ;)

And when you pull out in front of a mini with your 4x4, the mini just whooshes underneath! You don't even feel the impact :D

I'll get me coat :clown:

Cheers!

Scott
(4x4-less for 13 days, honest!!)

The Dogfather
28th January 2005, 08:03 PM
Scott - Red rag, Bull! Oh dear!

Scottch
28th January 2005, 08:06 PM
Paul,

I swear I never tried any of them out for real.

Sheilz
28th January 2005, 09:01 PM
My eldest lived in the country for five years and always found it amusing when the big 4x4s got stuck on the ice/snowy back roads while her modest clio skipped merrily into Aberdeen. I also do the school run in the mini partly because Catriona isnt at the local school and partly because I havent got time. Each to their own I guess.
:D:D:D

minidriver#1
28th January 2005, 09:49 PM

Besides, they're great for bouncing mini's out the way for that best parking spot right at the shop door!! ;)

And when you pull out in front of a mini with your 4x4, the mini just whooshes underneath! You don't even feel the impact :D

I'll get me coat :clown:

Cheers!

Scott
(4x4-less for 13 days, honest!!)

Lol. out in the hummer again.

orich
28th January 2005, 10:28 PM
May I jump in here for a minute?
I am an American, and my second car is a Jeep Liberty. It isn't a huge 4x4 by any means, but I couldn't not have a 4x4 for a couple of reasons. For one, being a police officer, I can't take off from work in some instances, even in snow emergency days. I live 45 miles from my command, so it comes in handy for this reason. I have a 18 month old, and one on the way. The Liberty has enough room for two car seats comfortably, and room in the back for all the sytff you have to carry around with babies. Also, I feel better knowing my wife and kids are safer in a crash than a small car.
Now, that being said, I do agree with what a lot of you are saying about super large SUV's guzzling gas made from foreign oil making us more dependant on the middle east than we should be. For driving 10 miles a day on perfectly paved roads, these SUV's are a bit silly.
Thanks for listening!
Rich

Big Gordy
28th January 2005, 11:03 PM
Jings:eek: How did the missus and I ever manage with a 3 year old and a newborn in just an XR2:blackeye: No doupt I've mentally scared them forever ;) I should have bought a 4x4:disapprove:kids I'm soooooo sorry its all daddy's fault:(;):clown: :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
28th January 2005, 11:06 PM
Although I do have the mad desire every now and again to buy an old 'Landy' and put big fat tyres and a roll cage on it with loads of spotlights.........and a Rover V8..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p:D:approve:

Burple
29th January 2005, 12:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Although I do have the mad desire every now and again to buy an old 'Landy' and put big fat tyres and a roll cage on it with loads of spotlights.........and a Rover V8..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p:D:approve:

Aye...

But you'll no be going doon the shops in it will yer??
;)

The Dogfather
29th January 2005, 12:23 AM
Rich - The only thing I can fault in your arguement is the safety and size, SUVs especially some of the american ones are not safer than normal cars. Also most SUV's use a ladder frame chassis these actually have less room inside than a monocoque (spelling?) chassis'd estate car (station wagon to you).

minidriver#1
29th January 2005, 12:46 AM
i once sourced a second hand Hummer from the Swedish riot police for £30,000. Black turtle back with bullet proof windows and shell.

but i dont want one now. lol

euan
31st January 2005, 07:20 PM

i once sourced a second hand Hummer from the Swedish riot police for £30,000. Black turtle back with bullet proof windows and shell.

It begs the question - why! That sounds an intriguing story. Your next one will be the time you bought a F16 Strike Eagle from the US :)

Scottie
31st January 2005, 08:28 PM
here we go
sorry it took so long but this is the main reason we have a Treghttp://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/18065/53980_thumb.jpg (http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/18065/53980.jpg)

The Dogfather
31st January 2005, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't an Audi A6 Quattro do the same job?

Scottch
31st January 2005, 08:59 PM
Paul,

You don't get the V10 engine in an A6 mate, and I dare say when tugging the caravan you want the biggest torquey-ist mofo under the bonnet! ;)

I'm wondering also, when tugging the caravan - maybe the tourag/caravan package is more aerodynamic than a saloon car/caravan combination?

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
31st January 2005, 09:14 PM
Hang on a minute but the fuels bills on that, ouch!

Depending on the trip, would it not be cheaper to fly, hire a car at the other end and stay in a 4* Hotel.... ;)

Scott - V10 engine is a bit overkill that thing could pull the QE2! I reckon a 3.0 TDI quattro would be enough.

http://www.audi.co.uk/images/newcars/models/a6/avant/mainbottom.jpg

(I'm only playing devils advocate, if I had a caravan and enough money I'd have a toerag as well!)

Scottch
31st January 2005, 09:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

(I'm only playing devils advocate, if I had a caravan and enough money I'd have a toerag as well!)

You don't say! ;)

The beauty of the caravan is you can just up and go whenever you want where ever you want, I know a lot of people poo - poo the idea but it's a great way to travel! Everyday is an adventure.

When we bought our X5, we had planned to also buy/tow a caravan.

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
31st January 2005, 09:27 PM
Thought about that myself but Jackie wouldn't go for it!

Scottch
31st January 2005, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Thought about that myself but Jackie wouldn't go for it!

Ahh, we see who's the boss then!

Did you ask her if you're allowed out on Sunday?? :D
j/k

Cheers!

Scott

The Dogfather
31st January 2005, 09:40 PM
Yes I am but I have to home B4 8pm!

minidriver#1
31st January 2005, 09:56 PM

It begs the question - why! That sounds an intriguing story. Your next one will be the time you bought a F16 Strike Eagle from the US :)

Used to be a huge fan of the beasts. Still like em but wouldnt want one personally unless it had an LPG conversion lol.