PDA

View Full Version : Car Allowance Scheme Question

Wul
21st January 2005, 02:13 AM
Ok folks - looking for a bitta help here please.

Currently in "negotiations" with my employer to review my current car allowance which has not been changed in 2.5 years - I use my MCS for work! :I

Really struggling to get any info on current market levels so wondered if anyone on here also got a car allowance and if so how much did they get per annum (for the car allowance) gross plus any mileage rates. And this includes non-MINI cars.

I realise this is very sensitive information so will totally understand if no-one wishes to divulge this info.

Anyone who does - feel free to post here or email me from my profile link.

Many Thanks folks!

:)

Gismo
21st January 2005, 03:01 AM
Wul, when i last received an allowance back in June 2001 i got £350 per month, hope that helps
The government decide what mileage your allowed, i think it's 40 pence for the first few thousand miles, best to check the governments web site

Wul
21st January 2005, 03:41 AM
Cheers Bonnie - the mileage can be anything basically - but the Inland Revenue state that anything up to 40p is tax free. Yeh £350 is what I get at present which after tax and NU is not enough these days:(

Sheilz
21st January 2005, 08:52 AM
Lucky things getting a car allowance. We do have school vehicles but not enough of them and are expected to use our own cars but get b****r all for it. Sometimes if we're lucky we might get some petrol money but this not very often. Most times I dont mind but if somethings goes awol or some kid decides to do damage its well annoying. If a kid does any damage or thieving most staff refuse to take the culprit in their motor but its really too late once the damage is done. First time I take any kid in my car I snarl the 'rules' of being a passenger just to make sure they know owt wrong and its 'the firing squad'. I dont think any of the current pupils would dare damage Wee Eck. I can be quite fierce when i want!!
:D:D:D

Big Col
21st January 2005, 04:46 PM
I have no problem believing that Shielz. :) I asked my mate what car allowance he get's Wul and he said £375 so he must have negotiated harder...;)

seany
21st January 2005, 05:34 PM
40p per mile, then put a clam in at the tax office aswell

euan
21st January 2005, 05:50 PM
You guys get 350 quid? In my work to get that I'd have to be senior management!

I'm seriously thinking we get a very bum deal on a car allowance. I think I'd get more just by claiming my petrol - as a "casual user" I get over 40p a mile. On the car scheme, it drops to about 25p!

Scottie
21st January 2005, 05:59 PM
h'mm oh well this is my deal I think its just the company I work for not me

£400.
44p
plus fuel card:D;)

in addition because I have a relocation deal I get a extra £150 and a extra 25p

DerekM
21st January 2005, 06:01 PM
My wife gets £350 per month, is paid 9p per mile from the company and at the end of each tax year submits a claim to the IR and usually gets a cheque back for around £600 ish if she does around the 10,000 miles per annum.

GAJ
21st January 2005, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

...but the Inland Revenue state that anything up to 40p is tax free.

The Inland Revenue threshold for motor mileage allowance is actually 42p a mile i.e. If you get up to 42p a mile you should pay no tax on it; if you get more than that you pay tax only on the portion which is higher than the allowance.

Crombers
22nd January 2005, 12:03 AM
Someone I used to know very well !! got £550 per month , but that was to cover absolutely everything

3GGG
22nd January 2005, 04:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Really struggling to get any info on current market levels so wondered if anyone on here also got a car allowance and if so how much did they get per annum (for the car allowance) gross plus any mileage rates. And this includes non-MINI cars.

I realise this is very sensitive information so will totally understand if no-one wishes to divulge this info.

No, I don't mind admitting I have never got any car allowance or a company car in my life - I was badly advised that Electronics Engineering was the future. :mad:

Wul
22nd January 2005, 05:23 AM
Hmm - thanks for the feedback so far guys - as for claiming back the tax on the mileage - we get 22p per mile - but I read it as the taxable value of the difference - so 18p x 22% tax x 10,000 miles is only £87!!

How the hell did she get £600!!?? surely a rebate in there too - no?