PDA

View Full Version : So you think you have protected No Claims Bonus?

Wul
19th January 2005, 06:30 PM
Well it appears it is a swindle!! [XX(]

My bro has 5 years protected NCB - earlier this year his GF reversed the motor into a bollard and did £500 worth of damage - less £150 excess means the insurer coughed up £350.

Now his renewal is due and it's gone up over £300!! whan quizzed the insurer said yes the protected NCB does mean you keep your 5years NCB but the claim is recorded and counters the saving from the NCB.

So basically he could've got the repair done cheaper and save himself some money!!

I'm off to check the small print on my policy!! :mad::disapprove:

Big Col
19th January 2005, 06:32 PM
I wondered about that! Every insurance website now asks you if your NCB is protected or if you've had any accidents in the last 5 years.

KenL
19th January 2005, 08:44 PM
What company is that?

I'm with Directline my wife had a bump (her fault) in 2002 in our car before the MINI. There was ~£1500 damage to our car and our premium did not go up at all.

We have protected NCB which allows up to 2 claims in 3 years and no more than one in any year. You do pay a bit to get the protection though.

Wul
19th January 2005, 09:54 PM
Cannae remember the company Ken - think it was NU!! That was how we thought the protection worked but a few other comanies have confirmed the claim being counted despite the protection!! :(

Starky
19th January 2005, 11:33 PM
Got to agree with Ken here, I had a low speed shunt two years ago in our Astra runabout, next year the premium was actually LOWER (insured with Halifax).

euan
20th January 2005, 02:29 AM
I had some loony attack my old MINI, eneded up needing a new bonnet which was done under the insurer and I did'nt notice any difference the following year. (That's with esure)

Steph
22nd January 2005, 06:59 AM
From what I understand, the base premium can be increased by the insurer, but then they still apply the % discount if you have protected no claims. So you still get 65% discount, but its 65% of a higher amount! That the end value increased by £300 means they must have increased the base cost by a hell of an amount. Nasty - always been deeply suspicious of insurance - there's always loop holes. Car insurance is especially wicked cos you are forced by law to have it.

lightbody
23rd January 2005, 05:36 AM
I had protected NCB and crashed my car in 2001... my premium went up dramatically. They maintained that i still had my 40% discount or whatever it was, but the actual premium had rocketed.
Its all a racket!