PDA

View Full Version : Bike Carrier

Crombers
18th January 2005, 10:00 PM
I know it's early on in the year & what wi all that white stuff around but I want to plan ahead & purchase a bike carrier for the spring. Used to have Golf & with the quick release front wheel & saddle the VW swallowed this in it's rear no danger. This however aint gonna work in the MC. Any previous threads on this one or can anybody recommed a good quality carrier. Borrowed one years ago & I think it was a Halfrauds special (cheep as chips). Quality & fitting was grim so I,m prepared to spend a few bob on a good un.

sw
18th January 2005, 10:53 PM
I got the Thule roof bar kit and thule upright cycle carriers, good kit works well, only takes 10 min to fit the whole roof thing as you can leave the carries fixed to the bars in 1 piece. not cheap though

http://www.thule.co.uk/

X30YES
20th January 2005, 04:59 AM
www.mini.co.uk accessories bike carrier
Price: from £ 98.90

Part number: 82 71 0 024 992

Fitting time: 1 hr 30 min

Available for: MINI One, MINI One D, MINI Cooper, MINI Cooper S

Cross-supports made from high-strength and corrosion-resistant aluminium tubing. Suitable for up to 75 kg roof loading. Usable width approximately 900 mm.

Crombers
25th January 2005, 02:01 AM
Cheers guys , just the info I need.

The Dogfather
25th January 2005, 04:36 AM
I've got a bike bag - both wheels and the seat come off they all go into separate comparments in the bag. This fits into a MINI with it's seats down. Cost £60.

Mini Me
25th January 2005, 06:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

www.mini.co.uk accessories bike carrier
Price: from £ 98.90

Part number: 82 71 0 024 992

Fitting time: 1 hr 30 min

Available for: MINI One, MINI One D, MINI Cooper, MINI Cooper S

Cross-supports made from high-strength and corrosion-resistant aluminium tubing. Suitable for up to 75 kg roof loading. Usable width approximately 900 mm.

The MINI one requires you to drill 4 holes in your roof:eek:,
you never heard this from me;)
......who said that:question:

Moonshine
25th January 2005, 05:36 PM
eight holes.

Mini Me
25th January 2005, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine

eight holes.

em,yes 8 holes<thats what i meant,honest:blackeye::p>

euan
25th January 2005, 06:28 PM
I've seen a few minis with the roof bars fitted and it does look pretty good (i.e.,solid and well made) but as I do a lot of motorway miles I can't imagine the racket they would make at 70.

I looked at the Thule one and couldn't really justify it. I then decided that I didn't really need a bike rack that much and spent the money on drink. Ah well.

Moonshine
25th January 2005, 07:53 PM
I've got the factory bars and a thule velowise frontwheel off fork mounted rack and it is solid as a rock and i would recommend the factory bars. They are actually nice and quiet. That been said, i take the bars off if i am not using the rack for a while (but that is more to do with fuel economy than anything else). I actually need a new carrier as my new mountain bike front disk brake caliper hits the bike tray.
it also carried a 9foot chritsmas tree from Dunkeld to Gourock with no problems.
The rack takes 5 mins max to fit or remove and i think its is pretty well thought out.

Gerry

sleepyrascal
25th January 2005, 08:13 PM
The thule rear carrier is what I would go for. No drilling required! I think its thule. Alpine bikes in Aberdeen/Sterling sell them for minis. It means its kinda hard to open your boot when its on though.