PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job

AberdeenMini
18th January 2005, 07:14 PM
Alright peeps. Im about to finish uni in the coming months, the time is nearly here to move on into the big bad world of full time employment. I am therefore looking for a suitable job.
Anyone know of any scottish Companies who recruit IT graduates, or better still anyone want to employ me? :cool:
Im studying BSC (Hons) in Computing for Business and E-Commerce which means that no IT job is likely to be too specific as i have a covered many different fields.
Any good website suggestions would be helpful too, thanks alot! :)

Burple
18th January 2005, 07:36 PM
www.jobs.ac.uk Jobs in all academic institutions throughout the UK ( If you wanna *WORK* in a Uni now!! heh.. :D

Then all the usual ones like www.monster.co.uk

:D

minidriver#1
18th January 2005, 09:39 PM
i got all 3 of my jobs through jobs.ac.uk :) i recommend working in academia :)

its hard to find permanent contracts in IT nowadays, but its easier if you look in academia. But dont be too fussy, take anything you can get for the experience, i used to travel to Edinburgh from Dundee every week day morning but it was worth it for the experience to put down on your CV. Experience is just as important, if not more so, than academic qualifications in some situations.

Once you have the experience its much easier to land the job you want. I beat 350 applicants for my current job :D and i aint planning on leaving. lol.

Julz
19th January 2005, 12:27 AM
If only you were a civil or structural engineer, our Aberdeen office is desperate for new bods and we've just employed 5 newbs!!:clown:

Sheilz
19th January 2005, 07:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

If only you were a civil or structural engineer, our Aberdeen office is desperate for new bods and we've just employed 5 newbs!!:clown:

But the pay for new grads is awful. Son no 2 was offered a job with them but luckily got a similar post for a lot more dosh with a Westhills co.

Nenah
19th January 2005, 10:44 AM
www.jobserve.co.uk - excellent IT site. Good luck!

Julz
19th January 2005, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

But the pay for new grads is awful. Son no 2 was offered a job with them but luckily got a similar post for a lot more dosh with a Westhills co.

Don't I know it, they're a great company to work for though! I served my apprenticeship here then went to local government for loads more money, only to return 18 months later and take a wage cut in the process, I soon learned that money ain't everything, you have to enjoy what you do!!;):D

Sorry AM, just gatecrashed your thread:disapprove:

Sheilz
20th January 2005, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Don't I know it, they're a great company to work for though! I served my apprenticeship here then went to local government for loads more money, only to return 18 months later and take a wage cut in the process, I soon learned that money ain't everything, you have to enjoy what you do!!;):D

Sorry AM, just gatecrashed your thread:disapprove:

Too right. Will tell Kris this incase he doesn't like the Westhill job.
Good luck with the job hunting :D:D:D

euan
21st January 2005, 12:58 AM
Most of my mates who stayed in Scotland with IT ended up in oil in Aberdeen. (I did Computer Science at RGU) One works for a developer in Edinburgh, but it's pretty small. One option is the big fairs, I only ever went to the ones in Aberdeen when I lived there, but in my current employer I have manned the stand at a big one in Glasgow where there were a load of large companies looking for people. Only word of warning - big companies offering jobs in IT services will expect you to be flexible about base locations and the amount of travel. The view is your young and don't have the responsabilities at home.

I left Aberdeen and started in Edinburgh, ended up working in Edinburgh for a few years before moving to London. Now I work in London 2 days a week and Cheshire for the others. Still, I enjoy the work.

If you are not bothered about locations, I know we are recruiting, but it would be very likely to be based in England, although there is a big office in Edinburgh I'm not sure we are taking people on there.

AberdeenMini
21st January 2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!:)
Euan - I plan to seek jobs in Aberdeen first but if it fails then i guess i will have to look elsewhere. So far so good, i have applied to two graduate training schemes and within two days i've been offered two interviews which is lucky.
One again thanks for the feedback! :)

euan
21st January 2005, 05:47 PM
I could send a note out to some of the people I know to see if there are any jobs going if you want?

AberdeenMini
23rd January 2005, 12:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I could send a note out to some of the people I know to see if there are any jobs going if you want?

That would be great Euan, thanks alot. If you require my CV or anything just give me a shout thanks! :D