PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Exhaust Trim

Tony
17th June 2003, 06:02 PM
Hello

Im off to phone JC and order the cooper exhaust trim.

Its still about 20 notes isnt it?
and, i take it its a no brainer to fit.

anyone have the part number handy,..as i threw out my parts brochure in a tidying frenzy and JC havent got any new ones in yet...

john
17th June 2003, 06:07 PM
I thought you had a Cooper.

If its a ONE then why not just fit a Cooper exhaust:)

There are a few lying about :D

Wul
17th June 2003, 06:24 PM
John - there is a different trim available for the Cooper - it is a larger dia and isn't bevelled on the edge like the coopers standard "coke can" trim. If you do a search in the exterior forum on MINI2 you'll find dom or monsta have posted pics of it.

IMHO it is much nicer than the standard one - i did have one on order until Big Brother intervened!:(

Tony - as far as i can remember the standard one requires a torx screw to be loosend to allow removal and the replacement slips on with no fixings - HOWEVER YOU ARE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH IT ON TOO FAR otherwise the exhasut pipe sticks out!

Tony
17th June 2003, 06:48 PM
yeah, Wul, thats the one im meaning.

i just cant be DOING with the coke can cooper exhaust. and, with the bigger wheels, i think the 'slightly' bigger exhaust trim will look better. it kinda looks like the tail pipe i had on my magnes box on my XR2i.

anyway, thanks for the tips, im off to buy...

Wul
18th June 2003, 12:48 AM
link to pics of exhaust trim here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13792&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2

macblob
18th June 2003, 11:23 PM
Is the replacement exhaust trim available through the john cooper web site, or just by phone?
If so whats the phone number and how much do they cost.

Think they look ten times better than the one that comes as standard.

Wul
19th June 2003, 01:14 AM
macblob the trim is available from your dealer - it's £20 (inc VAT) and is part no 82120143376.

i agree re it's looks.

macblob
19th June 2003, 07:24 AM
cheers wul, it looks like another visit to dunedin for me lol

why cant bmw just fit these nice bits to begin with??

Tony
19th June 2003, 04:37 PM
Im getting mine at lunch time today,....ive even got my allen key with me,..so I can whip off the old one, and push on the new one.

cannae wait!!

macblob
19th June 2003, 08:22 PM
Dinnae burn ur hands tony :D

Wul
19th June 2003, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony

Im getting mine at lunch time today,....ive even got my allen key with me,..so I can whip off the old one, and push on the new one.

cannae wait!!

Tony - as far as i know it's a torx screw not a hex :I so you may struggle at bit at lunchtime!;)

Tony
19th June 2003, 10:53 PM
no no,...its an allenkey,...tried yesterday just to make sure, as i figured that if i didnt have the right tools, id have to head over to halfords as well.
but the allenkey worked (small size,..must be a 3mm or something).

anyway, its now fitted,..pics will come, but im not convinced now its on the car. it sticks out a bit far, imo,..but if i try to slide it on any further then the real exhaust will be very visible,....im just not sure what to do!!!!

plus, if you grab it really hard,..you CAN make it move slighty. Maybe i should push it on further. I was maybe thinking about taking it off again,..ans getting some heat reisitant black paint, to paint the inner exhaust so that it didnt show up so much.
its a proper MINI part,..so why dosent it fit easier??

Big Gordy
19th June 2003, 11:53 PM
Can you not just hacksaw 1" off the end before you fit the tailpipe :question::question::question: then you can shove it all the way up (fnaw,fnaw););)

duncan
20th June 2003, 02:07 AM
There's fitting instructions on MINI2 for the tailpipe trim.

http://www.mini2.com/guides/pdf/ExhaustEnd.PDF

Tony
20th June 2003, 05:08 PM
Cheers Satelite.

Man, have you read the instructions for fitting thr cooper trim.

'Remove old trim and disgard',...'fit new trim'

Thats it!!!!! hahahaha. offical fitting instructions for MINI!! woohoo.
glad i dont have a ONE though,..i would be convinced about hacksawing the rear silencer.

no worries. when i went home from work last night (and so wasnt crawling about the ground in my suit!!),...i got back underneath and sorted it out. It is now on very securely,...and it looks the nuts.
Until the exhaust starts to dirty up though, you can see the 'ring',..being the inner or REAL exhaust inside the trim.
like i said, some dark heat resistant paint over the end of it would blend it in, until things dirty up inside.

it actually now looks very impressive,..especially if you have the 17's,...i think it just sits better along side them.

ill get some pics sorted so i will,

see ya.

macblob
28th June 2003, 09:08 PM
Got any pics of the exhaust trim on ur motor yet?

Think im going to get the different trim next month, Skint just now after buying new front tyres.But got loads of grip again now!!!

Would really like to see another pic of it as ive just seen the one on mini2

cheers Brian

macblob
18th July 2003, 12:36 AM
Got the new trim for my cooper :)

Took the old one off this morning to reveal a fairly rusty looking tailpipe.

Have painted the tail pipe and rear section of the back box in heat proof paint so am driving around today with no trim on at all

Its very ugly lol

When fitting the new one(probably tomorrow sometime) does the wee v shaped bit of metal on the inside of the trim really hold it in place ok? as there is no grub screw like the standard one.
Also how far along the exhaust pipe do u recommend seating the new trim for best looks.

And opinions would be great

Thanks Brian

Wul
18th July 2003, 01:20 AM
Brian

The V shaped bit is to stop the trim silding back off but there are ridges inside the trim also which are a very tight fit to the tailpipe.

I pushed mines on till it was about 10mm away from the end of the inner section of the trim - initially it was pretty visible but now it's sooted up enough i don't notice it.

macblob
18th July 2003, 03:54 AM
Cheers Wul, didnt wanna push it in too deep or leave it out to far encase it fell off :D:D:D

Tony
22nd July 2003, 06:17 PM
i drove about for a couple of days without the tail pipe on far enough,..to be honest. its still a bit further out than WULS 10mm, but its now seated fine and tight and it does look the mutts.........

it will do for the moment until i get the cash together for a proper exhaust..