PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who works offshore

Big Col
11th January 2005, 10:38 PM
Do any of you have any links to websites that give a good overview of how offshore oil platforms work? Parts of my new job deal with these and I'd like to know a bit more about them.

The Dogfather
11th January 2005, 10:52 PM
UKOOA website - www.ukooa.org has a guide for students just click on education. Lots of other info as well.

The story of oil
http://www.ukooa.org/issues/storyofoil/index.htm

Specific to production.
http://www.ukooa.org/education/students/production.htm

Big Col
12th January 2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for that mate. It's good background but I was looking for more detail than that if possible. i.e a pipework diagram of an oil platoform etc.

The Dogfather
12th January 2005, 12:55 AM
Now he tells me!

I'll see what I can find and get back to you.

Scottie
12th January 2005, 12:59 AM
I'm sure the offshore guys like Angus will be able to help you but if not dose this look like the kind of thing you are after.

"... University of Texas at Austin Under the Guidance of the Piping Function Research Team #47 from The University of Texas At Austin Austin, Texas August ... CHAPTER 2 - Background of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams 2.1 Definition of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams . . . . 11 2.2 Functions of P&IDs ..."

If so I can print it out and send to you 252 pages mind.

Big Col
12th January 2005, 01:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Now he tells me!

<looks sheepish> Sorry mate. Never thought. Thanks for your help.:)

The Dogfather
12th January 2005, 01:06 AM
I used to have a book 'Introduction to Oil and Gas' that covered all areas of the production process. I'll try to find it and send it down.

Big Col
12th January 2005, 01:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I'm sure the offshore guys like Angus will be able to help you but if not dose this look like the kind of thing you are after.

"... University of Texas at Austin Under the Guidance of the Piping Function Research Team #47 from The University of Texas At Austin Austin, Texas August ... CHAPTER 2 - Background of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams 2.1 Definition of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams . . . . 11 2.2 Functions of P&IDs ..."

If so I can print it out and send to you 252 pages mind.

That sounds a bit more like an instruction on P&ID's as opposed to the layout of an oil platform and what pumps & valves are on it I think. 252 pages. Yikes.:eek:

Gismo
12th January 2005, 01:10 AM
Sorry Col, not my area i'm afraid, can't even get any info from anyone here :(

Big Col
12th January 2005, 01:14 AM
No problem BS. Thanks for trying anyway. :)

X30YES
12th January 2005, 06:23 AM
Col ......mail me with your address ,and will send you some stuff re Shell Brent field you will find quite interesting I'm sure ...ie drawings pipes, and tanks on the sea bed (A4)as I just brought one home to show a neighbour all the workings

RS
12th January 2005, 06:28 AM
Col,

I can give you a process flow diagram for the platform that I work for, which provides an overview of the oil and gas processing vessels and rotating machinery.

It was used as part of a presentation, therefore it is fairly basic. I do have access to more detailed information, however I am unable to give this out.

Send me a PM and I will send the diagram to you, which is on a PowerPoint slide. If you subsequently have any further questions, then let me know.

Mini Me
12th January 2005, 07:20 AM
Should this thread not be titled ,anyone who is insane ????:p

Big Col
12th January 2005, 05:02 PM
Angus and Richard I've sent you both an email with my work addy. Thanks very much for your help. It's really appreciated.

See...you can find almost anything out on this site. :)