PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New York, USA!

orich
11th January 2005, 09:40 PM
Hello everyone. I hope you don't mind my hanging out here. I have a great love for Scotland, and I love my MINI. I am a New York City Police Officer, and I live in the suburbs of the city on Long Island. When I retire in a few years, I plan on a long visit to the Highlands.
Nice meeting you all, and I hope to hear from you guys.

Thank you,
Rich

Gismo
11th January 2005, 09:46 PM
Nice to have you onboard, of course you're more than welcome, we won't hold the fact that you're a policeman against you ;):p
I'm sure you'll enjoy the site, if you do come across let us know and we might be able to meet up

Mini Me
11th January 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Rich, hope you have lot's off fun on the site,there are a pretty insane lot(with few exceptions):p.But a real life NYPD Blue.....must be interesting.
Tell me are there many MINI's in the 5 buroughs ?

MartinSullivan
11th January 2005, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the site , hope to see you over here in the near future.

Wul
11th January 2005, 10:00 PM
Welcome aboard good sir - don't be shy too join in the fun! :D

Big Col
11th January 2005, 10:00 PM
Don't mock him BS he's NYPD! They give them guns! :)

Welcome to the site Orich.

The Dogfather
11th January 2005, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the site!

BTW what type of MINI have you got?

Duncan Stewart
11th January 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Rich. Welcome to New Mini Scotland :D

sleepyrascal
11th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the site!!

Julz
11th January 2005, 11:47 PM
Hello!:clown: (just like me, short and sweet, eh folks!!:p)

orich
12th January 2005, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses!
I have a MINI Cooper 5 speed, British racing green w/ white top, sunroof, xenon lamps, auto climate.
I am seeing more and more MINI's here in the city every day. I work in one of the outer boro's, Queens, so I don't see what's happening in Manhattan much.
Thank you again for the responses. I look forward to talking to you "Scot's" (Is that OK to say?) more in the future.
Peace!
Rich

orich
12th January 2005, 02:53 AM
By the way, I just recently obtained my Scottish license plate, which I have put on the front of my car. It looks great, and I don't have to worry about getting ticketed for missing NY plate on my car!! :D

L8R,
Rich

X30YES
12th January 2005, 03:23 AM
Welcome Rich call us what you like but dont call us English ...or say we live in England ,:D...have fun

The Dogfather
12th January 2005, 03:46 AM
Angus, Ich bin ein Englander. I just got detached from the group on a raiding trip north!

phantom
12th January 2005, 03:51 AM
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome :D:D:D

Smurf
12th January 2005, 05:06 AM
Welcome to the mad house!
:D

Sheilz
12th January 2005, 07:43 AM
Hello Rich. What is your Scottish license :question: Do you mean you have a UK licence plate? Is it true you can make up your own licence number in the US? Sorry for the interogation!
:D:D:D

monkimagic
12th January 2005, 10:25 AM
NYPD !!!!! That is a mean ass job. welcome

Monkimagic

Any piccies of your Mini cruisin in Manhattan ????

Big Col
12th January 2005, 05:04 PM
We've no problem being called Scots, just so long as you call whiskey "whiskey" and not "Scotch". :)

Julz
12th January 2005, 05:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
We've no problem being called Scots, just so long as you call whiskey "whiskey" and not "Scotch". :)

The French are worse, when they ask for Scotch, they actually want sellotape!!:p:clown:

GAJ
12th January 2005, 05:27 PM

Surely we should all be calling it whisky!;)

Burple
12th January 2005, 08:14 PM
Welcome aboard! Join in the banter!
Queens huh? that must be pretty interesting!! Is it really like all the crappy Hollywood movies make out? :D

orich
12th January 2005, 09:48 PM
Hi again

Sheilz, I have a european style plate on the front of my car that looks like yours. It is not real, but looks extremely cool. I got it on the internet from a place that makes license plates from all over the world. In America, you are stuck with whatever license plate number you are given. However, for a fee you can have vanity plates made up. Of course, the fee in New York is highest in the nation. That being said, on my other vehicle, I had my plate changed to "1PETER13" (biblical reference.

Low_n_loud;
Queens has it's crappy areas, but it's not all bad. I have been stationed in every boro in my career, so far I like Queens best. The area I am in currently is very much unlike what you see on the screen.

Peace,
Rich

Big Col
12th January 2005, 10:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by orich

That being said, on my other vehicle, I had my plate changed to "1PETER13" (biblical reference.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed"?

Crombers
12th January 2005, 10:20 PM
Welcome Rich:D. As you will have read by now there are a few nutters around this place. Some more than others:p

(Gaj , quite correct it is definately whisky)

Burple
12th January 2005, 10:48 PM
quote:
Low_n_loud;
Queens has it's crappy areas, but it's not all bad. I have been stationed in every boro in my career, so far I like Queens best. The area I am in currently is very much unlike what you see on the screen.
Peace,
Rich

That's always good to hear! Everywhere has it's dodgy areas! (watch it Big C!! :p;)) But we don't have Hollywood in Dundee to advertise them!! :D (plenty of Neds tho!:D)
Maneged to visit Boston and Houston so far... Some time I'll get across to New York! :D

orich
13th January 2005, 12:02 AM

That being said, on my other vehicle, I had my plate changed to "1PETER13" (biblical reference.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed"?

Actually, it is supposed to be the first letter of Peter, chapter 1, verse 3:
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead"

orich
13th January 2005, 12:03 AM
Oh, cool...
I'm a wee haggis!

X30YES
13th January 2005, 03:46 AM
Yip Whiskey is from Ireland ...and Whisky is from Scotland ,try some with you 'wee haggis' Rich

Mini Me
13th January 2005, 05:27 AM

Actually, it is supposed to be the first letter of Peter, chapter 1, verse 3:
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead"

Right,thats it i'm off:evil:;) religon just freaks me out man,NMS cult :question::question: It could happen.:eek:Resistance is futile:evil::blackeye::dead:

The Dogfather
13th January 2005, 06:19 AM
Good to know, if you ever want to get rid of Iain quote some bible passages!

Mini Me
13th January 2005, 06:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

who would have thought,BD and Big C,bible bashers:eek::sleepy:

Big Col
13th January 2005, 07:29 AM
Actually I had to do a quick internet search and still came up with the wrong thing. :)

The Dogfather
13th January 2005, 05:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

who would have thought,BD and Big C,bible bashers:eek::sleepy:

Not me!

orich
13th January 2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone, that's certainly not my intention. I had hoped to make a few on line friends from your country, not piss anyone off.
I'm not a religious zealot, I am a practicing Catholic, that's all.

Peace,
Rich

Scottie
13th January 2005, 11:07 PM

Sorry if I offended anyone, that's certainly not my intention. I had hoped to make a few on line friends from your country, not piss anyone off.

Peace,
Rich

dinnae worry about it disnae matter to me I support Hibs:D:p

MartinSullivan
13th January 2005, 11:07 PM
Rich, dont worry about them lot , they could start an argument in an empty room :D

We are all a friendly bunch so dont worry about it

Gismo
13th January 2005, 11:13 PM
Hang in there Orich, no offence taken or meant by anyone, we are a bit mad over here and the banter usually goes through the roof :evil:;):)
Be nice to hear your stories etc

Mini Me
14th January 2005, 04:41 AM

Peace,
Rich

Hold on there partner,only having a bit off a laugh,we take the pi$$ at any oportunity:eek::blackeye::p
You can't offend on this site;)
You carry a gun,for gods sake !!!:eek::D

The Dogfather
14th January 2005, 05:04 AM
Rich - Have you ever seen the British TV programme Father Ted?

Mini Me
14th January 2005, 08:44 AM

Rich - Have you ever seen the British TV programme Father Ted?

Well if you have Dougle is actualy based on Bad Dog:evil:;)

The Dogfather
14th January 2005, 05:23 PM

I will turn the other cheek![o:D] (smilie with Halo!)

Burple
14th January 2005, 08:33 PM

I will turn the other cheek![o:D] (smilie with Halo!)

Put 'em away!!
WE don't wanna see your 'cheeks' ;);):D:I

anyway... is it not Father Jack??? ;):p

orich
14th January 2005, 08:36 PM
I have seen Fr. Ted, in fact I bought the whole series on DVD! I think it's a very funny show. I get a channel called BBC America here on satellite. It is my favorite channel. I always loved British comedy, and now I get to watch cool UK police shows. I like Hamish MacBeth. One of my all time favorite shows is Monarch of the Glen.

The Dogfather
14th January 2005, 09:49 PM
Good to hear you like Father Ted!

Monarch of the Glen, Hamish Macbeth? If you want to find out about the 'real' Scotland you need to be watching 'Chewing the fat'. O'the Banter!

Big Col
14th January 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure you're the best person to advise on the 'real' Scotland BDM ya sassenach! ;)

The Dogfather
14th January 2005, 10:54 PM
Easy now, remember I choose to make Scotland my home!

redpoint rallying
17th January 2005, 11:45 PM
careful now, the word sassenach originally meant 'lowlander' (as opposed to 'highlander') and didnt differentiate between Scots or English or Welsh etc. Therefore it was an inoffensive word used by Scots highlanders to describe other Scots who lived south of the Highlands. History lesson over heh heh....! good for a laugh though!

cheers!

Big Gordy
17th January 2005, 11:50 PM
When I was in Cornwall for my hols last year a local told me they call anyone who is not Cornish who comes to live in Cornwall a sassanach. Funny that ain't it:) :p:D:approve:

Mini Me
18th January 2005, 10:17 PM
Mod's on holiday ??????:p
<or have they gave up trying to keep us on topic>:p

hogg88
3rd February 2005, 12:46 PM
Welcome :D and be sure to let us know if you are coming to visit our beautiful country. We will try and arrange some grey clouds and drizzle so that you can really appreciate what its like to be scottish (Just kidding :cool:)
Hope to see you across here soon :D