PDA

View Full Version : British Mini Show, Staffs Showground, 30/01

DerekM
10th January 2005, 06:37 AM
Anyone going?

Is it worth going to?

Duncan Stewart
10th January 2005, 05:52 PM
I have heard it is very good but have never actually been.

weefossy
11th January 2005, 07:37 AM
the weefossies will be there as it is 1 mile from Neil's house. we have been before and it's a really good show for both old and new minis. It's also indoors which helps at this time of year.

Duncan Stewart
11th January 2005, 05:38 PM
Checked out the date and I'm not free that weekend :(
Enjoy yourselves and tell us all about it :D

Vicki
23rd January 2005, 12:35 AM
For anyone who is going, please come and visit the MINI2mini stand!!!! We are following the theme and im dressing up as a Policewoman! please come and say hello!!!!!!!!!!!

Its gunna be crazy!!!

mini01
25th January 2005, 06:42 AM
I am headin down to this. My first mini adventure, so should be good.

DerekM
1st February 2005, 06:50 AM
Well, after a 4-hour trip down, I was 100% underwhelmed. As usual with these things, the best cars are outside in the car park.

minidriver#1
1st February 2005, 07:01 AM
did u get lots of photos? :)

DerekM
1st February 2005, 07:24 AM
There were about 10 - 15 new mins there. About 4 on the go-mini stand (along the lines of 'I've got a Cooper S and it's got a) a diffent roof decal; b) a loud stereo; c) big alloys'. 3 or 4 cars on the mini2mini stand, which looked like your local dealership - gleaming, but 100% stock. One Mini dealer from Crewe selling bit and bobs, mini mania selling stick on chrome bits and a breaker selling bumpers/grills and the like. The rest was Classic Minis, but again, little inspiring there. Most of the floor space was taken up with show cars (again mainly Classic Minis).

It seems that everybody is trying so hard to be different that they all look the same.

All IMHO of course.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

Mini Cruiser
2nd February 2005, 12:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Topless

There were about 10 - 15 new mins there. About 4 on the go-mini stand (along the lines of 'I've got a Cooper S and it's got a) a diffent roof decal; b) a loud stereo; c) big alloys'. 3 or 4 cars on the mini2mini stand, which looked like your local dealership - gleaming, but 100% stock. One Mini dealer from Crewe selling bit and bobs, mini mania selling stick on chrome bits and a breaker selling bumpers/grills and the like. The rest was Classic Minis, but again, little inspiring there. Most of the floor space was taken up with show cars (again mainly Classic Minis).

It seems that everybody is trying so hard to be different that they all look the same.

All IMHO of course.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

I think you should stay at home next time:approve:

On a serious note, the go mini stand had 2 cars on it, not 4.

Bingley is limited on size as its a indoor show and always has been, the outdoor shows are alot bigger.

I think your comments about the MINI2mini stand are just down right rude, these shows are not modified cars only, its a chance for people to display there cars, the members from MINI2mini put alot of effort into that stand.

I also think its amusing how you think they all look the same, ive yet to see another car on the road with my archs on, so the same designed boot etc.

If your cars so brilliant why was it on the carpark and not inside the show? Everyones entitled to there own opinion but there is no need to be so harsh.

Scottie
2nd February 2005, 01:24 AM
chill a bit:cool:

topless was only expressing his thoughts

take a holiday:p

Mini Cruiser
2nd February 2005, 01:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

chill a bit:cool:

topless was only expressing his thoughts

take a holiday:p

and im only expressing mine in response to his post, if you post on a open forum, surely you know people are going to reply to what you say. :)

Big Col
2nd February 2005, 01:33 AM
Whoa...it's not like you to get upset and have a go at someone Cruiser.

Big Gordy
2nd February 2005, 01:41 AM
Ohhh Oh:blackeye: This could get messy:disapprove: Better have a moderator standing by at the ready;) :p:D:approve:

Big Col
2nd February 2005, 07:22 AM
Eh? Why would it get messy Big G:question:

DerekM
2nd February 2005, 08:10 AM
Dear All,

1) I concluded my post with IMHO. I fully agree that others will (and do) disagree.

2) The reason my car wasn't on the stand is simply becaue I believe there are (many, much) better cars around (after all, it's only 3 weeks old) - that was one of the main reason I went to the show - to see what others had done, and what is available. In this regard I was surprised that there was little originality on view, and what had been done was cheque-book modification . <Personal opinion time again> I much prefer work which has been designed/fabricated by the owner, rather than bought and stuck on. Maybe that is due to my own limited design and build talents, I don't know. And that doesn't mean I wouldn't go down that route myself, but I want to see a bit more imagination on a 'show car' than ticking evey option on the order form.

3) On one point we agree. Perhaps next year I shall stay at home and save myself a 600 mile round trip and 40 minute wait in queue outside. However, as a petrol head, I will continue to attend shows for a variety of cars, old and new, and post my views here and elsewhere. Oh, and where something does impress, I'll shout about it. Where I feel a little let down, I'll also say so.

I'm also surprised that you seem to have taken such umbridge with my post. The intention was to let others know my impression of the show, not cause any flame wars on what is one of the more hospitable boards I've visited. I am sorry if you think I've flamed you and those who had their cars on display, I loved the classics on show as they all had a story to tell - the custom paint jobs; extreme body work; engine changes; interiors, or restored to factory condition. I just don't see the point of putting an almost stock car on a stand for others to look at, but maybe it is just me.

weefossy
2nd February 2005, 08:40 AM
We also went to the show and were really disappointed with the new mini section. It wasn't half as good as the previous years. The original mini section was great, with lots of different cars, many we had seen before, but worth seeing again. Just about bought an original van for 3k until Sioban dragged me away.
Prior to the show, Neil tried to get both his car and Sioban's convertible on the stands, but was told there was no room! Both cars could have added something and they would have been in immaculate condition. There were no stunning cars, not a zeemax kit or anything special in the engine conversion stakes. We get a much better selection at any outing. Julz, Alans, Scottie Coop and KJs would have blown them all away. The best one was the red cooper s which appeared in the Mini Mag.
I'm not knocking the show, I really enjoyed it and everyone was really friendly with no ill feeling between old and new minis.