PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Chrome

Big Col
6th January 2005, 07:38 PM
Alright folks I'm looking for some ideas. My new mowtah (did I mention I'm getting an 'S??? :D) is going to be in black and yellow. I'm fitting the Aero kit (mostly to stop Julz nagging me) so that means there wont be a chrome grill. As a result the car's going to be all black and yellow apart from the door handles and filler cap. I think the chrome will look a bit out of place against the rest of the car so am looking for a way to dull it down a bit. Kinda make it like grey chrome. The explanation I gave to Iain is as follows (to explain the effect):

See if you get a bit of shiney tin foil? Now imagine you get a dark pencil, rub it all over the chrome and then smudge it about with your finger so you take off a lot of the pencil but leave the tinfoil darkened. I want that effect on me chrome.

Iain tried his best with the folks at MINI but they drew up a blank about how to do it. I think a very light dusting of black paint might achieve the effect I'm looking for but am not sure. Do any of you highly inventive people have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Burple
6th January 2005, 08:05 PM
How about contacting some of those nice peeps who do powder coating for alloy wheels and the like (Blasted Alloys maybe? - MS...Do your stuff!;))??
Pretty sure they could powder coat your chrome bits (don't forget the trims round the bottom of the windows!) just like they do for wheels - Julz'z nice dark grey colour springs to mind.... :D
Or just buy new chrome bits like the filler cap / door handles and send them off to get done, then swap em over...

:)

MartinSullivan
6th January 2005, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

How about contacting some of those nice peeps who do powder coating for alloy wheels and the like (Blasted Alloys maybe? - MS...Do your stuff!;))??
:)

As LnL says one option is to get them shot blasted and powder coated. You can have any one of a number of finishes and colours and even have some sparkle added into the mix.

Good place to try for powder coating is PPS Glassfibre in Inverurie. Speak to a guy called Keith Patterson on 01467 621907. You might be best buying all the bits you want done seperatly and get them done off the car and install them once they are done.

MartinSullivan
6th January 2005, 08:16 PM
PS If you want to try Blasted Alloys to see if he is interested in doing them then contact Wullie Simpson on 01561 378148

Wul
6th January 2005, 08:26 PM
How about trying some of the plastic film they use to darken windows - a professional fitter with a hairdrier could do it without any wrinkles and if you don't like it you've not ruined the items :)

MartinSullivan
6th January 2005, 08:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

How about trying some of the plastic film they use to darken windows - a professional fitter with a hairdrier could do it without any wrinkles and if you don't like it you've not ruined the items :)

That might be an idea - Tinthaus do the defendall film for paint protection, wonder if they can get it in coloured variety. DefendAll (http://www.defendall.co.uk//)

The Dogfather
6th January 2005, 09:19 PM
Col, not sure it would look that out of place

http://www.minicherished.co.uk/AUC/vehicle_images/resized2/WMWRE32000TC83716_01_PF_160904_20_FineGround_ls45k ybekd0hm5e2oszsvsoqq_FGN_V01.jpg

As the headlights and brightwork around the windows will also be chrome, right?

Big Col
6th January 2005, 09:54 PM
Ahhh the headlights! Good point BDM I forgot about them. I think the film is a good idea as if it looks daft I can still try the others. I've sent an email to Defendall (Thanks MS) asking what they can do. You think the film will be man enough for the job on the door handles? Wouldn't fitting it to the door handles be a bit difficult considering the pulley door open bit?

MartinSullivan
6th January 2005, 10:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

You think the film will be man enough for the job on the door handles? Wouldn't fitting it to the door handles be a bit difficult considering the pulley door open bit?

I'm not sure if the film will be a go'er but its worth a try - it has the advantage of being non permanent. Also Tinthaus are "mini friendly" so may be willing to do you a good price.

duncan
6th January 2005, 10:03 PM
Do any of you highly inventive people have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Wul, look away

Don't wash it.:eek:

Julz
6th January 2005, 11:41 PM
Or if you do get the viper stripes like I keep telling you to, a chrome scoop would look the biz!!!;):D

The Dogfather
6th January 2005, 11:58 PM
Col, its a MINI so its traditional to have some chrome. Julz is right about the vipers by the way, they really make the car stand out! Go for the widest ones though!!!!

I'm wondering about adding black ones to mine but I'm not sure it'll work with the red/white roof.

Big Col
7th January 2005, 12:34 AM
I dunno if the vipers will look right with the black roof...

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 01:03 AM
I didn't realise you were going for a black roof! Would white or dark silver work?

Is anyone able to mock up a picture using photoshop, as I'd like to get an idea of how my car would look with black vipers?

Julz
7th January 2005, 01:27 AM
I dunno if the vipers will look right with the black roof...

I've seen a Y/B one with black vipers, I actually think it looks better with the blak roof!!:D

Scottie
7th January 2005, 01:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

You think the film will be man enough for the job on the door handles? Wouldn't fitting it to the door handles be a bit difficult considering the pulley door open bit?

I'm not sure if the film will be a go'er but its worth a try - it has the advantage of being non permanent. Also Tinthaus are "mini friendly" so may be willing to do you a good price.

Thanks to your tip Martin in a previous thread my red mini is booked in next wednesday for her bra at a mini friendly price:D

Just get a blow torch heat the chrome bits get a hammer give them a knock here and there what do you think could work;)

MartinSullivan
7th January 2005, 01:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Thanks to your tip Martin in a previous thread my red mini is booked in next wednesday for her bra at a mini friendly price:D

No probs Fiona, let us know how it goes and your impressions of the product and service

Wul
7th January 2005, 02:50 AM
Why not inverse the vipers in yellow as they go over the roof then? ;)[XX(]

Big Col
7th January 2005, 07:01 AM
Ok. Sod it. IAIN! I WANT THE BIG BAD WIDE BOY VIPER STRIPES! I done a bit of photoshopping on the pic BDM posted (cheers mate) and I've decided they do look even better with the black roof. Slap 'em on!

Wul, thanks for the suggestion but I think you're right about the :dead:. The yellow on the roof wouldn't be that nice.

After a chat with Iain I decided against the darkening of the chrome since, as BMD also pointed out, there's a lot more chrome on the car and it would cost a fair few bob to get it all done.

That's it! I'm done! I'm not changing my spec again! The vipers are the last addition. I think. Well...I might still change my mind about 'em...:)

MartinSullivan
7th January 2005, 07:37 AM
Getting a chrome bonnet scoop then? Fiona has one on her cabriolet I think, and it looks good

Mini Me
7th January 2005, 09:09 AM
so is that black vipers over the bonnet,changing to yellow on the black roof ??? and then black down the tail gate ???.
Am gonna start a Stop Putting Ideas Into Col's Head thread !:p

Big Col
7th January 2005, 04:42 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!!! Just the thick black for the bonnet and tailgate. I was pondering going for dark grey stripes so that they can be seen faintly on the roof but I don't have the photoshop skills to see if that would look cool or not.

By the way...9 mins past 12 you're checking NMS? Methinks the wean was keeping you up last night. :)

Julz
7th January 2005, 05:05 PM

Ok. Sod it. IAIN! I WANT THE BIG BAD WIDE BOY VIPER STRIPES!

How long have I been telling you to get them!!:clown: You should have just let me spec your car for you!!:p

Big Col
7th January 2005, 05:08 PM
You never told me to get the viper stripes!!!

Anywho...I've been toying with stripes for ages although it started out as checks and then went to one fat stripe etc but I was never sure how it looked with the black roof. As I just got photoshop on my PC and BDM was kind enough to post a pic I was able to see it so there! :p;)

Gismo
7th January 2005, 05:09 PM
I was pondering going for dark grey stripes so that they can be seen faintly on the roof but I don't have the photoshop skills to see if that would look cool or not.
Col, i have the gray union jack on my black roof, trust me, it looks braw :p

Big Col
7th January 2005, 05:13 PM
You think the grey stripes would look good on the yellow considering the black of the aero kit grill and stuff:question:

MartinSullivan
7th January 2005, 05:17 PM
You think the grey stripes would look good on the yellow considering the black of the aero kit grill and stuff:question:

Have a word with John at Apex, see if he has done anything similar and has pics or can mock you something up - he is very helpful :D

Big Col
7th January 2005, 05:20 PM
I'd feel a lil guilty doing that as I'd probably get it done by Menzies. :I

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 05:25 PM
Apex would be cheaper though!

Iain prove me wrong!

MartinSullivan
7th January 2005, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Apex would be cheaper though!

Iain prove me wrong!

Definitely cheaper - unless Iain does you a special deal. For something non standard like your requirements I assume he would send it to Pentagon glass anyway - maybe give them a call and see what they say

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 05:29 PM
Hi-jacking Big C's thread!

Question! - after removing the white bonnet stripes would thin black vipers look good on my mota?

Scottie
7th January 2005, 06:18 PM
This is only a thought. I was thinking about getting the viper on the red Cabrio but and this was a big but for me after having been round a few BMW garages including Menzies I noticed how you can see scratches and imperfections showing on the black stripes this has now make me question should I get them done or not.

So Big Col before you make you mind up for defo have a look around maybe just the quality of the vinyl used.

Big Col
7th January 2005, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure they would as you have the white roof mate but that's just my humble opinion.

IAIN! You have mail. :)

Big Col
7th January 2005, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

This is only a thought. I was thinking about getting the viper on the red Cabrio but and this was a big but for me after having been round a few BMW garages including Menzies I noticed how you can see scratches and imperfections showing on the black stripes this has now make me question should I get them done or not.

So Big Col before you make you mind up for defo have a look around maybe just the quality of the vinyl used.

I never even thought of that Fi. Thanks for the tip. People with stripes have you found this a problem or where you all just not using Wul's wooly mitt? :)

Gismo
7th January 2005, 06:24 PM
My black stripes have faded and are in pretty poor shape, certainly something to think about, but, it still has to be on the car, i just need to get around to getting them replaced

Duncan Stewart
7th January 2005, 09:16 PM
I never even thought of that Fi. Thanks for the tip. People with stripes have you found this a problem or where you all just not using Wul's wooly mitt? :)

No problems with my black ace of spades roof graphic but my white bonnet stripes have some stone chips - at least they protected the paint from damage :D

euan
7th January 2005, 09:41 PM
You could always do alternate viper stripes on the roof - I nearly went for white on the blue bits of the car and elctric blue on the roof, but I wasn't convinced I get a good enough match the EB. Would be easier with the yellow though

Big Col
7th January 2005, 10:15 PM
Wul had suggested that Euan but after a bit of photoshopping I think it looks better with just the black roof. I'm now agonising over a different kind of stripe! (Thanks for that Iain! My mind was made up too!!!) ;)

Big Gordy
7th January 2005, 10:37 PM
Hey Col:p If you want I could cover my motocrossers tyres in black paint and ride it over your car twice:clown:;) How that would be a novel stripe:p Don't fancy the plunge off the roof at the back having ridden over the roof though:dead:;) :p:D:approve:

Mini Me
8th January 2005, 05:15 AM
The stripes are made from a thin vinyl, that to be honest ,through time can scratch, it's just like having black paint(depending how you look after it,can be hard work).Also being vinyl you do get small imperfections but you will never get it 100 % but it will be as near as damn it.....
The good thing about it is the flexability,by which i mean that you can change them as ofter as you like:p

Big Col
9th January 2005, 04:55 AM
Well it's now 100% decided I'm getting the Vipers. Thanks to BDM for popping the idea into my head and to all others who offered opinions. :)