PDA

View Full Version : windy

Fontal
6th January 2005, 12:10 AM
Is it a bit blowy anywere else today we have just recorded 54 knots storm force 10:eek:

Big Gordy
6th January 2005, 12:18 AM
Its all those brussel sprouts:dead:over the holidays that's what I say :p:D:approve:

Kirsty
6th January 2005, 02:34 AM
Yep feels like about the same here blowing straight up off the forth!! Taking slates off my roof at the mo!! Damn those brussel sprouts!! (Think it's Big G myself but don't tell him cos he might get embarrassed!!)

minidriver#1
6th January 2005, 02:47 AM
Big G(ale force)

Scottch
6th January 2005, 06:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Kirsty

Yep feels like about the same here blowing straight up off the forth!!

Forth Road Bridge was "interesting" today :dead:

An' it was bloody cold too!

Cheers!

Scott

Big Gordy
6th January 2005, 05:10 PM
Not me:INope:approve:No way8)I hate brussel sprouts:dead: :p:D:approve:

Wul
6th January 2005, 06:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Forth Road Bridge was "interesting" today :dead:

On days like that you should stand on the roundabout on the south side(next to the Shell garage) and look at the bridge sway in the wind :eek:

Gismo
6th January 2005, 06:23 PM
All this wind is giving me a few extra days off, no equipment getting offshore so no need for me to be there, yet :p

Big Gordy
6th January 2005, 08:38 PM
You still gonna manage this Sunday Alan:question: :p:D:approve:

Gismo
6th January 2005, 08:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy
You still gonna manage this Sunday Alan:question: :p:D:approve:Yep, no word from Ross yet though :eek: should i worry :blackeye: i asked him (text & e-mail) to tell me what train he is getting and when it passes through Montrose
Now stay on topic :p

sh@z
6th January 2005, 09:19 PM
my god the wind outside today is pretty bad :/

Scottch
6th January 2005, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

my god the wind outside today is pretty bad :/

My office is shaking a bit!!
And it's raining.
And it's cold too :( even with the heaters on full pelt!

First day back at work and I'm missing my long lie in, central heating, double glazing and generally doing nowt.
Bah!

Cheers!

Scott

sh@z
7th January 2005, 04:03 AM
jesus christ!! i jus went outside to get somit, walking along garden and a big ass piece of glass off someones greenhouse comes flying across in front of me.... right across garden and smashes into a tree :( ... if that had hit me...

godamn whats up with this wind :/

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 04:46 AM
Lucky escape there Sh@z!

sh@z
7th January 2005, 06:29 AM
tell me about it :/.... glass was all over the place..

im guessin neighbours greenhouse or something

Big Gordy
7th January 2005, 05:12 PM
What about the rain this morning:eek::eek::eek: Had my wipers on full pelt and still could hardly see where I was going:dead: :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th January 2005, 05:14 PM
THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 05:22 PM
It's just normal UK weather nothing exceptional.

However, it has been noted that there has been a slow down in the flow rate of the Atlantic Conveyor (the return flow of the Gulf Stream) a change which would preceed the total shut down of the Gulf Stream.......

Now that would make a difference to the UK's weather!

Big Col
7th January 2005, 05:24 PM
Haven't any of you seen the day after tomorrow??? We're DOOMED!!!

Gismo
7th January 2005, 05:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Haven't any of you seen the day after tomorrow??? We're DOOMED!!!
Got it for crimbo, watched it the other night, nice to know that 2 people on this planet can beat all the odds to save me ;)

The Dogfather
7th January 2005, 05:36 PM
The premise (spelling?) to the film was correct but being Hollywood they had to add a shed load of BS (not Bonnie Scotland).

The change would mean cooling over Northern Europe first over a number of decades, then as snow an ice builds there would be an increase the amount of heat from the sun being reflected back into space causing the earth as a whole to cool. Although this would be offset by global warming to a certain extent.

All unproven and purely theoretical, of course.

Kirsty
7th January 2005, 08:15 PM
Crossed the forth bridge last night!!! OH MY GAWD!!!! I thot I was ill until I realised that it wasn't my whole body freefloating but actually the whole bridge!! Very "interesting"!!!! I need to drive up to dundee today so if anyone sees a wee purple coop off course could you lassoo me!!? Thanks!!

Scottch
7th January 2005, 09:17 PM
I think I heard they may close the FRB today due to the winds! Anyone else heard?

And the weather isn't expected to improve much for the weekend :(

Cheers!

Scott

sh@z
8th January 2005, 04:17 AM
nowhere near as windy in Edinburgh today, well... no panes of glass flying right past me anyways lol

duncan
8th January 2005, 04:41 AM
They shut the Tay Rail Bridge when the wind reached 80 MPH yesterday :eek:

Nenah
8th January 2005, 12:10 PM
This site has sunk to an all time low - have we really exhausted all topics of conversation already to discuss the weather!! ;) How very British!!! :eek:

duncan
8th January 2005, 09:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nenah

This site has sunk to an all time low - have we really exhausted all topics of conversation already to discuss the weather!! ;) How very British!!! :eek:

Well, it is kinda unusual to be this windy.

Would you prefer an Australian Forecast (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/australasia/index.shtml) ?

Gday, we've got sun today, and tomorrow, sun again, but watch out for Monday - theres gonna be a cloud in the sky
;):p

sh@z
8th January 2005, 11:11 PM
A CLOUD!!! NOOO

THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END

hehehe

Julz
9th January 2005, 09:22 PM
I was outside last night at midnight digging a trench to divert the flooding water from my house!! What fun!!:(

Sheilz
10th January 2005, 12:07 AM
Not so good Julz. Saw the pics on the telly from central Scotland. Not the best start to the year. Hope you've managed to avoid flooding.

duncan
10th January 2005, 12:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I was outside last night at midnight digging a trench to divert the flooding water from my house!! What fun!!:(

Aye, aye, thats what your telling us!

Anyone seen Rob recently?:eek::p:p

sh@z
10th January 2005, 02:33 AM
diversion of funds from robs car to julzs' car i reckon ;)

Julz
10th January 2005, 05:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan
Aye, aye, thats what your telling us!

Anyone seen Rob recently?:eek::p:p

Yeah, he was putting sandbags infront of the garage, protect the important stuff of course!!:p

Fontal
11th January 2005, 09:24 PM
well the wind died down last night and this morning (calm before the storm) it is about force 5 at the mo 25 knots but is due to be storm force 10 by 1800 and hurricane force 12 by 0000 with gusts up to and beond 80 knots (92 miles an hour):(:(:(:dead:

3GGG
12th January 2005, 07:11 AM
Well that's the Ham radio antenna broken here tonight - had the tower tilted over and everything tied down with ropes too. A 1.5" fibreglass support arm has just snapped despite having 4 guys on it. It is not as bad as a few years back when the steel tower top section folded right over.

1998 disaster:

http://gm4jjj.co.uk/XPOL/oldarray.jpg

- Think I'll take up tiddly winks instead...

Mini Me
12th January 2005, 07:18 AM
Yup ,definately a night to stay in.Just back from a wee 8 mile off roader on ma bike,felt like i was towing ma Cooper S,should really get a sick bucket on ma handle bars:p:blackeye:

Big Col
12th January 2005, 04:59 PM
What the F*** is this weather all about????????????

Monsta Mo Mini
12th January 2005, 05:13 PM
No trains and the bridge is closed......

I'm distraught!...I'll just have to go back to my nice cosey bed instead. :D

Fontal
12th January 2005, 05:46 PM
Well I survived, the house felt as though it was going to explode with the amount of shaking it did but I only lost 2 tiles and the shed that I tied down yesterday is at a rather alarming angle but it'll fix

Julz
12th January 2005, 06:17 PM
Had fun dodging bits of tree this morning! We have 3 boys here that are from Fife, all of which are having to come through Perth city centre cause both Tay bridges are shut and the Friarton bridge is shut too!! :clown:

Big Col
12th January 2005, 06:19 PM
Here Julz you better not go outside! An ickle thing like you might get blown away and end up in Oslo. :)

Scottch
12th January 2005, 06:48 PM
Fife (Leven/Kennoway) to Grangemouth this morning.

Via Stirling! Just over 2 hours to get to work, but we managed to miss the 11 miles of traffic waiting to cross the Forth at Kincardine.

Seems the FRB is open to just cars now, but at least its open.

Cheers!

Scott

Fontal
12th January 2005, 07:01 PM
We are still getting battered by 50 knot winds and 70 knot gusts :(

Monsta Mo Mini
12th January 2005, 07:32 PM
Just crossed the FRB - ma hoose to work in Leith - 40 mins :D
Kincardine still chaos.

Duncan Stewart
12th January 2005, 07:47 PM
Helen has got to work in Dundee now as she waited for the Tay bridge to open but Perth city centre is grid locked she heard

Kirsty
13th January 2005, 12:57 AM
Thank gawd I'm not at work just now or I'd be joining the kincardine bridge chaos!! I had to dodge 3 black, 2 brown and 2 blue wheely bins to get in my front door last night!! Pretty scarey!! It's nice living by the sea but not when it's like this!!