PDA

View Full Version : MINIS on Ice

Sheilz
3rd January 2005, 08:37 AM
Think I'm a little disappointed with the car's performance on icy roads. While creeping into work this afternoon Eck took off in the direction of a tree. Luckily the kerb got between them. After having read some threads on mini2 I may have expected too much from the DSC. Is smaller wheels the answer?

Duncan Stewart
3rd January 2005, 05:42 PM
I have not found the Mini any worse on icy roads than other cars I have owned. Wider tyres are usually a problem in snow but not sure if they make a difference on ice. I don't think smaller wheels would make a difference as the overall size of wheel & tyre is about the same.
I hope Eck is undamaged.

Scottch
3rd January 2005, 07:26 PM
Sheilz,

It's not smaller wheels that help, but narrower wheel/tyre combo's that do - if you watch any of the winter rally stages you can clearly see the cars running really skinny tyres. This is so that they can maximise the pressure exerted through the contact patch - rather than spread the cars weight over a larger contact patch (wider tyre).

Apologies if you already knew this, or if my explanation sucks!

Cheers!

Scott

Sheilz
3rd January 2005, 08:19 PM
Eck remains in good health! And no Scotch, your explanation is fine. Cheers! :D:D:D

The Dogfather
3rd January 2005, 08:24 PM
Scott is spot on.

I've noticed that the federals I have fitted are actually quite good on soft snow, perhaps because the tread pattern is like chevrons which cut into the snow.