PDA

View Full Version : Need a wee bit guidance (induction kits)

Scottch
22nd December 2004, 06:52 PM
Guys 'n Gals,

Need a wee bit of steering input from ya here.

Been for a search, but never really found the answers I was looking for.

So, our MCS is booked in for Friday @ Grassicks to get a works exhaust fitted (won it on e-bay, bargain!) and while it was in I was thinking about getting the new works airbox fitted.

I've done a bit of reading about it and some people rave about it, but, then I think they should too as it's almost £300 including fitting, VAT and a new ECU download (must be to make the flappy valve work?). Now, I know it's fully warrantied and won't affect my TLC etc.. but £300?? Is it just me, or is that a bit stingy?

On the other hand I could go and get all kinds of induction kits with lovely anodised cold air tubes for half the price.

I'm not really doing this for the power, but more for a bit of sooky-sooky noise.

What would you guys spend your own hard earned on?

Cheers!

Scott

Gismo
22nd December 2004, 07:05 PM
A waste of money if you ask me, you can get the same sooky sooky noise by drilling holes in the air box
BBR don't change the induction side as they reckon it's good enough

So, if it's only noise you want.........

MartinSullivan
22nd December 2004, 07:11 PM
How to drill your airbox for more Suck!! :D (http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15)

Personally I have the K&N Typhoon, as I like the look and the noise. I got mine from
FasterFilters:D (www.fasterfilters.co.uk)

The website is cr*p but they were a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the other places I tried. Just drop them an email to get a quote. They sell a lot on ebay, but if you buy direct you will get it for 10 to 15 quid less than the ebay price

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 07:25 PM
I've got alta on the blue coop and the jcw on the cabrio.

I would go with jcw every time.;)

Scottch
22nd December 2004, 07:50 PM
Fi,

Is the JCW filter fairly audible?

Cheers!

Scott

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 08:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Fi,

Is the JCW filter fairly audible?

Cheers!

Scott

I think so.

If you are fitting the works exhaust and the induction kit why not go all the way.

I've got the 210bhp works fitted to the cabrio and I know it's over priced and you can get more bhp etc from other tuners and all that.

I think it's great I like the sound the response etc and it's all covered by warranty and it all just flows with the car.:D

Just my 2p.;)

Big Col
22nd December 2004, 08:07 PM
You got any pics of the caribo Fi?

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 08:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

nope not at the minute but when it returns from Transcal @ Livingstone I will post some pic's.:D:cool:

Wul
22nd December 2004, 08:15 PM
Hey is it just me or did that guy make that look soooooo hard? if he removed the filter and plugged all the relevant holes he could have carefully drilled a pilot hole and used a junior hacksaw to the same effect! Used to do this to my bikes as well :)

Scottch
22nd December 2004, 08:16 PM
Fi ;)

The Question:

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

[why not go all the way.

The Answer:

[I know it's over priced

:D Right now, I would if I could, but it's a bridge too far! Changing my own car for march 1st, and I have another new bike on the horizon ... can't do everything ;)

Didn't expect to get the mini-bug as bad as I have, especially as it's not even mine - it's me Julie's!!

Cheers!

Scott

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 08:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Changing my own car for march 1st
Cheers!

Scott

So what you getting Mini Cooper S works:p;)

Scottch
22nd December 2004, 08:30 PM
So what you getting Mini Cooper S works:p;)

LOL, nope - we need a family sized car for long hauls.

Though, we did really have a talk and a think about a works!!

Cheers!

Scott

Duncan Stewart
22nd December 2004, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Bit too much shadow but gives you an idea - at Inveness on Loch Ness run before it got dirty ;)
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568/2504290/4962736/77439628.jpg

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 10:32 PM
That's ma mini :cool::D;)

Big Col
22nd December 2004, 11:09 PM
It really suits the chrome scoop! :)

c_me_swim
6th February 2005, 09:46 PM
I've got the Alta induction kit fitted and i love it. It makes a sooky-sooky noise whenever you press the gas and the supercharger whine is much louder and more intense. Well worth the money i think. It's much louder than the piperX i had on my old MINI One but not as deep a sound.