PDA

View Full Version : Screen wash

Tam1314
18th December 2004, 04:35 AM
Red devil is at this moment traveling down the A9 to see me, the problem is that her water jets keep freezing,my question is, whats the best additive you have come across cos we will need to get some for her going back up

Scottch
18th December 2004, 04:43 AM
Tam,

Not sure which screenwash would actually make a difference - I was always under the impression it was the dilution ratio that was important at this time of year.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Cheers!

Scott

Monsta Mo Mini
18th December 2004, 05:47 AM
I put it in neat at this time of year.

Gismo
18th December 2004, 07:17 AM
For the best results use methylated spirits, knackers the blades but you see no problemo :cool:

Scottch
18th December 2004, 08:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

For the best results use methylated spirits, knackers the blades but you see no problemo :cool:

And you can get steaming on what you have left!!
:D

Cheers!

Scott

Sheilz
18th December 2004, 08:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Diluted :question: (sorry if this is an incredibly stupid question :I)
:D:D:D

Scottch
18th December 2004, 09:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

No no no Sheilz, drink it straight for best results!!

Cheers!

Scott

Gismo
18th December 2004, 06:32 PM
Diluted :question: (sorry if this is an incredibly stupid question :I):D:D:D
You can use it neat if you want, but, 60 - 40 mix is ok, water at 60 per cent ;)

Tam1314
18th December 2004, 07:13 PM
Wont Meths ruin the paintwork tho

Mini Me
18th December 2004, 08:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

I put it in neat at this time of year.

He's right you know,goddamit...:evil:

sleepyrascal
18th December 2004, 11:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tam1314

Yeh, but so does salt....

Gismo
19th December 2004, 12:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tam1314

Not worse than petrol or indeed salt

Sheilz
19th December 2004, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

No no no Sheilz, drink it straight for best results!!

Cheers!

Scott

Ach that's where I've been going wrong!:clown:;):D:D

Julz
20th December 2004, 06:52 AM
I'm actually on the Halfrauds own ready mixed (the pink stuff, cause it smells nice too, eh MS!!;)) out of pure laziness, ran out on the way home and they were doing buy one get one free! Never freezes, although my babe is currently tucked up in a heated garage while it sits at -8 outside:eek::D

MartinSullivan
20th December 2004, 07:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'm actually on the Halfrauds own ready mixed (the pink stuff, cause it smells nice too, eh MS!!;))

It smells pink I tell ya!!!!!! ;):D, or maybe thats just Aspergers syndrome

And you are right it never seems to freeze

Wul
20th December 2004, 04:31 PM
if you don't have the heated jets - another tip is to carefully cut a hole in your bonnet liner below jets - the heat from the engine then stops the nozzles freezin :)

Moonshine
20th December 2004, 05:25 PM
I've heated jets and last year my washer fluid kept freesing, even with a strong mix, so this year i have taken the bonnet lining right off for winter to let the engine heat ht to the pipes. The problem seems to be that the insulation is too good. my nozzles were unblocked, but the water in the pipes was solid.

GErry

MartinSullivan
20th December 2004, 05:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine

The problem seems to be that the insulation is too good. my nozzles were unblocked, but the water in the pipes was solid.

Yeah this has been mentioned on Mini2, apparently its a problem with most BMW's. As Wul mentioned cutting the insulation back around the jets seems to improve the situation.

You can retrofit the heated washer jets - the part number is 61 66 0 029 716. According to Minime the kit is £45.96 + vat ,less the NMS discount of 5%. Instructions claim it takes 1 1/2 to fit (longer if you are DIY'ing it).

The Dogfather
20th December 2004, 06:44 PM
Would this work? The difference between pipes freezing and not freezing is only a couple of degrees so all you would really need is a way of conducting a small amount of heat from the engine bay along the length of the pipes, right?

How about taping a length of bare copper wire along the water pipes and running it into a warm (not hot) area of the engine bay. Surely once the engine is warm the copper wire will transfer enough heat to defrost the pipes?

MartinSullivan
20th December 2004, 06:55 PM
You can also buy a device called The Webasto Hotshot (http://www.webasto-hotshot.com/index_en.php) which basically heats the fluid up to 65 degrees C before pumping it to the jets. Think its about £200 quid though

monkimagic
20th December 2004, 08:52 PM
The screen wash bottle in the MINI is tiny, I am filling it up twice a week at this time of year. way to small

Monki

red devil
23rd December 2004, 05:39 AM
Well I had a big problem going down the A9 and coming back , jets freezing all the time , had to keep stopping , and I seem to have to fill the bottle every second day what a pain.
I am using screen stuff below 8 degrees as well

Big Col
23rd December 2004, 05:19 PM
I think they're making the bottle bigger for the 2005 MINIs. I think...

Mini Me
23rd December 2004, 06:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I think they're making the bottle bigger for the 2005 MINIs. I think...

:DYIP...;)

Wul
23rd December 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeh - that extra 10mls will make all the difference - at least an extra squirt! :p:clown:

Mini Me
24th December 2004, 04:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Yeh - that extra 10mls will make all the difference - at least an extra little squirt! :p:clown:

Now let's leave BD out of this;)

Tam1314
24th December 2004, 12:01 PM
l think its fixed now tho

sh@z
30th December 2004, 10:26 PM
is it the pipes themselves that freeze? or the screen wash?

afaik the screen wash... for winter use should be concentrated enough so as to not freeze? tho i have suffered from freezing washer jets too and ti's a MAJOR pain!