PDA

View Full Version : xenon lights

Scottie
17th December 2004, 01:51 AM
I have xenon lights on both cars.

Which I think are only xenon on low beam.

If this is correct can I change the bulb for Main beam.

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 02:00 AM
Yes, they are seperate bulbs.

The 'xenon' one is for dip beam in the top part of headlamp
The main or full beam is in the lower part of the headlight (circular section)
It is a H7 bulb.Powerbulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk) will sell you the bulbs you require

Burple
17th December 2004, 02:36 AM
Or Any Autosave.
I got Philips Vision Plus in. Had 2 sets in, but one headlight one popped last week... So I got the new philips ones with *VERY* a slightly blue tinge to them...

Much better than the crappy originals!!! :D

Scottie
17th December 2004, 06:24 AM
Cheers will get them tomorrow.

Wul
17th December 2004, 04:36 PM
Powerbulbs do a great service - I replaced the HB's in my xenons with phillips ones too and got a free set of blue side lights at the time - they also do the replcament bulbs for you indicators so they look silver when off.

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 05:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Powerbulbs do a great service - I replaced the HB's in my xenons with phillips ones too and got a free set of blue side lights at the time - they also do the replcament bulbs for you indicators so they look silver when off.

Yeah they were really helpful when I ordered, they were a good price and free delivery - and as you say a free gift as well. Couldnt fault them. I also got the replacement indicator bulbs, its only a subtle change, but it is noticable.

Julz
17th December 2004, 06:40 PM
There's a wee thread about blubs (and yes, I did mean the typo Big C!) on mini2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78097)!!:sleepy:

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 06:42 PM
Seems like Powerbulbs are still as good as they were 12 months ago, and their site is much better now as well

Scottie
17th December 2004, 06:56 PM
Placed my order with powerbulbs got a bit carried away between the two cars.

Nevermind it's a chrissie present for the cars:p:cool:

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Nevermind it's a chrissie present for the cars:p:cool:

Cool, I am sure they will appreciate it :D

X30YES
17th December 2004, 08:20 PM
The cars or Powerbulbs ?

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 08:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

The cars or Powerbulbs ?

BOTH :D

Scottie
17th December 2004, 08:33 PM
Do you know if you can replace the bulbs in the Mini spots lights,

X30YES
18th December 2004, 11:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Do you know if you can replace the bulbs in the Mini spots lights,
Yes ....but the wiring may need to be up graded if you go to a high Wattage Lamp (bulbs grow in the ground)I would think .........Q you know who :D
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20144/51225.jpg

mgemie
18th December 2004, 08:15 PM
i know its kinda off topic but i was wondering it there is such a thing as a Xenon upgrade kit... i have the standard lights and was thinking if replacing them to xenons was possibe. Am i right in saying the xenons are the more powerful 'blue' headlights, or is that halogens? am confusssddd lol

X30YES
18th December 2004, 08:52 PM
Yes ,Yes,and Yes, £630 upgrade

mgemie
19th December 2004, 12:05 AM
maybe i'll leave the upgrade for now....kinda pricey for headlight upgrade. I'll put it towards other mods lol

Gismo
19th December 2004, 12:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie
maybe i'll leave the upgrade for now....kinda pricey for headlight upgrade. I'll put it towards other mods lol

Save your money, the xenons are absolute crap :disapprove:

3GGG
19th December 2004, 02:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
Save your money, the xenons are absolute crap :disapprove:

Why do you say that Alan? - I find them quite excellent, make normal dipped beams seem like candles by comparison and they are self levelling and have washers for these seasonally dirty roads.

Gismo
19th December 2004, 03:00 AM
Sorry, but they give my car no depth and i'm constantly blinded by oncoming traffic because their lights pierce throught he dark better.
I constantly suffer queasiness because i cannot see far into the distance.

All this depsite numerous checks at the dealers.
My BMW on the other hand is very good

3GGG
19th December 2004, 04:41 AM

Sorry, but they give my car no depth and i'm constantly blinded by oncoming traffic because their lights pierce throught he dark better.
I constantly suffer queasiness because i cannot see far into the distance.

All this depsite numerous checks at the dealers.
My BMW on the other hand is very good

That is strange Alan, I'm very happy with mine, I did adjust them up a tad (but have put them back down a little since I put lower profile tyres on the rear recently). It certainly is important to have good dipped beams as 90% of the time that is what I use with modern traffic density around here. I can't compare mine with a BMW, but I will say that they are much better than any non Xenon headlight car I have driven.

Gismo
19th December 2004, 04:53 AM
You shouldn't have to adjust them at all though, that's why they are self levelling

3GGG
19th December 2004, 05:04 AM

You shouldn't have to adjust them at all though, that's why they are self levelling

Perhaps so Alan, all I can say is that mine seemed to be too low when I got the car, adjusting up a tad helped a lot and didn't result in oncoming traffic flashing at me.

ELFMAN
21st December 2004, 10:38 PM
Interesting stuff, folks. I gather from this that it's a good idea to replace the MAIN BEAM lamps with, say, Philips Vision Plus or the Osram ones (as on 'Powerbulbs site).

Does also replacing the EXISTING XENON BULBS (ie O.E. Dipped Beam) with the new ones improve things, that is, are the replacements better than the OE Xenon bulbs?

MartinSullivan
21st December 2004, 10:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN
Does also replacing the EXISTING XENON BULBS (ie O.E. Dipped Beam) with the new ones improve things, that is, are the replacements better than the OE Xenon bulbs?

Fiona has just replaced the standard Xenon component with an upgraded 6000k unit - see
here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3407)

She seems very pleased with it

ELFMAN
22nd December 2004, 01:19 AM
Just been to the HID Upgrade Thread....

Right.... So going to a 6000k Upgrade Kit from OE (4300k) Xenons obviously works. This is upgrading the DIPPED BEAM part (which is the HID/Xenon part) and not touching the MAIN BEAM part which is the HALOGEN bit.

You can upgrade the Main Beam to Philips/Osram H7 HID/Xenon Lamps, but you need a Ballast/Starter kit to do so. How difficult? How much? THEN another bit in the thread (ScottieCoop) says NOT to upgrade the Main Beam to HID/Xenon, as it's too bright for road use.

So, if you're running 'Factory Fit" Xenons/Washers et al, and you don't want to spend £400.00 on the 6000k Kit what do you do? Just stick with the OE setup?

The deeper I've gone, the more confused I've become - or am I just too stupid to live????? Be gentle, mind.....

MartinSullivan
22nd December 2004, 01:24 AM
I have uprated H7 bulbs in the main beam of my lamps - and they are an improvement , and not overly expensive from Powerbulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk).

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 01:48 AM

Just been to the HID Upgrade Thread....

Right.... So going to a 6000k Upgrade Kit from OE (4300k) Xenons obviously works. This is upgrading the DIPPED BEAM part (which is the HID/Xenon part) and not touching the MAIN BEAM part which is the HALOGEN bit.

You can upgrade the Main Beam to Philips/Osram H7 HID/Xenon Lamps, but you need a Ballast/Starter kit to do so. How difficult? How much? THEN another bit in the thread (ScottieCoop) says NOT to upgrade the Main Beam to HID/Xenon, as it's too bright for road use.

So, if you're running 'Factory Fit" Xenons/Washers et al, and you don't want to spend £400.00 on the 6000k Kit what do you do? Just stick with the OE setup?

The deeper I've gone, the more confused I've become - or am I just too stupid to live????? Be gentle, mind.....

I changed the bulbs only for main beam.

I upgraded to HID bulbs for dip beam which required the kit even though I have the xenons fitted with self level washers etc but you require the kit re wiring for the bulb to work.

X30YES
22nd December 2004, 02:17 AM
As you say Martin ,H7's from www.Powerbulbs.co.uk ,which I ordered on Fri afternoon, and they arrived Mon at first post (07;30)and free side Blue lamps as well all for £25

Scottie
22nd December 2004, 03:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

As you say Martin ,H7's from www.Powerbulbs.co.uk ,which I ordered on Fri afternoon, and they arrived Mon at first post (07;30)and free side Blue lamps as well all for £25

don't think much of the sidelight;)

ELFMAN
22nd December 2004, 06:40 PM
So you CAN fit the Philips/Osram H7 bulbs from Powerbulbs straight into the MAIN BEAM unit of the OE Xenon setup, with no other bits and pieces required?

Don't get this. If the new ones are HID/Xenon bulbs, can you replace the OE Halogen bulb without the afforementioned Ballast/Starter apparently required by HID bulbs - or does the OE Ballast etc setup for this cover the Main Beam bulb too?

Just want to get this clear before I order them!

Gismo
22nd December 2004, 06:44 PM

So you CAN fit the Philips/Osram H7 bulbs from Powerbulbs straight into the MAIN BEAM unit of the OE Xenon setup, with no other bits and pieces required?
Yes :)

MartinSullivan
22nd December 2004, 06:47 PM

Don't get this. If the new ones are HID/Xenon bulbs, can you replace the OE Halogen bulb without the afforementioned Ballast/Starter apparently required by HID bulbs - or does the OE Ballast etc setup for this cover the Main Beam bulb too?

Just want to get this clear before I order them!

If you order the H7 Osram or Philips from power bulbs then they are NOT true HID or Xenon so no need for ballast/starter. Hope that clears it up

Wul
23rd December 2004, 01:04 AM
Elfman - basically the phillips/osram bulbs are a halogen bulb which burns more to give a brighter light and can have blue tinges added to look like a HID/Xenon unit - pros are they look better and give out more light, cons are they don't last as long as the standard halogen bulb (due to the higher burn!) But as Martin/BS say they are simply plug and play! :)

MartinSullivan
23rd December 2004, 01:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Elfman - basically the phillips/osram bulbs are a halogen bulb which burns more to give a brighter light and can have blue tinges added to look like a HID/Xenon unit - pros are they look better and give out more light, cons are they don't last as long as the standard halogen bulb (due to the higher burn!) But as Martin/BS say they are simply plug and play! :)

Yes but.... they usually do have Xenon in them instead of Halogen but they are not a true HID so dont require a starter

i.e Quote from Powerbulb site

Osram Silver Star H7
Uses xenon gas which produces a whiter light than halogen
Standard wattage - the extra light output is due to the use of xenon gas

If you look on ebay you will see cheap HID effect bulbs , these are usually standard halogen bulbs with just a blue tint to give a "xenon effect" and are of no benefit at all.

ELFMAN
23rd December 2004, 01:33 AM
AHA!!! Thanks guys - that's cleared that up - Xenon, but not, sort of. No wonder I was getting mixed up.... Now I can go ahead.

Cheers for the help - appreciate it.
Have a Merry One!