PDA

View Full Version : Help where to eat Dundee

Scottie
15th December 2004, 01:46 AM
Can anyone suggest a good place to eat out in Dundee.

We are having a works meeting @ Dundee on 22nd Jan for about 30 people.

No jokes:p;) need someplace that's good.:question:

Scottch
15th December 2004, 02:26 AM
Now there's a first - good and Dundee used in the same sentance!! :D

Fi, can't make a reccomendation from from experience I'm affraid.

However, what I had noticed the last time we were there, we spotted a new Thai place along Dock Street (I think) - we thought it looked worth a return trip sometime just to try out.

Maybe LnL or someone else from the area could check it out?

Let me know if you do!

Cheers!

Scott

minidriver#1
15th December 2004, 02:34 AM
Mandarin Gardens near the Dundee Rep theatre. Its amazing.

Bazthemod
15th December 2004, 03:11 AM
There is a 'Papa Joes' that has opened not long ago in the town centre, we stopped off there on the st.andrews run earlier this year and that was really good, they do almost everything.

Indians;
Spice, Gullistan (In Broughty Ferry)
Chinese;
Buffet at city quay and jimmy chungs (in town centre)

Brewers fayre type thing, Discovery Quay, Beefeater (Pretty average)

Have a look at some of these too http://www.on-linedundee.com/matrixRestaurants.asp

duncan
15th December 2004, 05:51 AM
I like Braes, (does a cracking maccaroni cheese) on the Perth Road, opposite the Uni tower Block.
Its got a small room down the stairs that does private parties.
(I've a bonus card that gives 10% off - don't know if they'd let you use it for a party, but if you can, i'll let you have it for the use of)
Phone - 226344

Also, in the Perth Road area, theres Bar Rio, sort of similar to Braes, but perhaps pushing it for a party that size.

Agree with Papa Joes - i had my birthday tea in there last month, although the menu isnt as varied as i thought it may be.

Jimmy Chungs buffet, i prefer that one to the one by the City Quay.
Should be able to get a booking that size

Jahinger is in the town for the Curry Addicts

Mandarin Garden is supposed to be good.

Social - stupid name, and no, its not the Buroo office - is beside the rep, posey, but ok for a meal for two - not sure about a party though.

Also, there is the DCA - Dundee Contemporary Arts - where all the beautiful people pose hang out. Don't know if they can cater for parties.
http://www.dca.org.uk/

All of the above are in the town, and close to the West End and town pubs, and night clubs are staggering distance.

Eatieries in Dundee have improved quite a bit over the last few years, so i'm sure there will be somewhere that will suit you.

Burple
15th December 2004, 07:56 PM
Yup.. Pretty much agree with all of the above..

Curry : Got to be The Gulistan in Broughty Ferry (about 5 miles from town centre)
Or the Jahangir (town centre)

Papa Joes : not tried it, but it's meant to be real good

Chinese: agree with KJ. Mandarin gardens is awesome!
And Jimmy chungs is ... well... Jimy Chungs! :D
The new thai Place in Dock Street (sorry, can't remember the name) is meant to be really nice too.

If you fancy a really good selection of general scrummy food, theres always Wigmores in Broughty Ferry too. Small family run place. Food is Very very good! Can recommend the spicy meatballs!!

Hope that's of some use! :D

Oops..
P.S... If you need any info like phone numbers etc, let me know and I'll se if I can get 'em

Julz
15th December 2004, 10:14 PM
I quite like Spice in Broughty Ferry and the new Thai restaurant on Dock Street is fab (helps when your summer student works there too!!);):D

Monsta Mo Mini
15th December 2004, 10:15 PM
Metro at the Apex is very nice aswell.

Scottie
15th December 2004, 10:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Metro at the Apex is very nice aswell.

We are staying at the Apex City & Quey Spa Hotel think thats where eating on the Friday night.

Good to know they have nice food ta.