PDA

View Full Version : Advice from the experienced please...?

laraboo
7th December 2004, 08:39 AM
Hello, newbie here...:I

I have a Dec 01 mini that's nearly out of warranty and have been offered the extended one from Easterns. Would those that know recommend I take it? I like the car (and my mods, cd changer, 17" wheels, saltire, bonnet stripes etc...) but don't hold out too much faith in the build quality. Tons has been done on the warranty already. Perhaps I should trade it in and get new one?? If so, I presume I could re-use me wheels?

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated... ta x

Edit:- Moved to correct forum

sleepyrascal
7th December 2004, 09:26 AM
Interesting. I'm in your situation also (Jan 02 Mini cooper). I also have had loads done on warranty, and recently. I would be interested to see what others think.

Gismo
7th December 2004, 09:33 AM
I'm not quite there yet, but, i'm not too far away, i reckon you'll have to count the cost of 2 or 3 services and i'm sure you'll easily get back your money back

Welcome to NMS, got a run this Sunday if you're interested in meeting up with like minded eejits :p

sleepyrascal
7th December 2004, 09:44 AM
Yeh Lara, as Bonnie said, come along on Sunday and you can chat face to face with all the 'experts'! :D:D

We decided not to take out extended warranty on the A3. Ended up with a bill for £1300 shortly after the warranty expired. Most of that would have been warrantly covered!! DOH!!

Also, on the Merc CL 500 I mentioned before, the warranty ran out with only 12000 miles on the clock and along came a bill for £3000! OUCH!!

I've been thinking...

It seems that the mini extended warranty, which is a mere £300, or £350, I cant remember, Is a good idea. I think given the amount of work I have had done on warranty, and the amount I expect to need done at a later date (There are ongoing problems) , It is well worth it!:)

Big Col
7th December 2004, 04:48 PM
I would be tempted to trade it in Lara as the later cars build quality seems to be far superiour. Also it means you get a brand new toy. :D

On another note, you've got an 01 car? What took you so long to get here? ;) Welcome to the site.

john
7th December 2004, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I would be tempted to trade it in Lara as the later cars build quality seems to be far superiour. Also it means you get a brand new toy. :D

On another note, you've got an 01 car? What took you so long to get here? ;) Welcome to the site.

I agree,I sold my first MINI after 1 year and I have had this one for Two years bub I don't intent keeping it until the warranty is out.

If you can afford it then buy a new MINI zero miles new warranty no marks on it and as people have said the build quality is much better now too.

If you cant afford to change then it sounds like the extended warranty is a must have item.:)

I hope this helps.

KenL
7th December 2004, 05:14 PM
I agree, if you can afford it get another new one - remember to shop around as Eastern may not give you the best deal.

The later cars are a LOT better built than the early ones.

Mini Me
7th December 2004, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

I agree, if you can afford it get another new one - remember to shop around as Eastern may not give you the best deal.

The later cars are a LOT better built than the early ones.
Oh yes definately change cars,and shop around:D,you never can tell where the best deal will be found<ahem,anyone>:)

Wul
7th December 2004, 07:25 PM
Sleepy/others - did you not try threatening the dealer with the sale of goods act? A quality built item has an expected shelf life out with any warranty period in which it should be reasonably fault free. It is for this reason alone paying £100+ for an extended warranty on a hotpoint washing machine is a waste of money.

Depending on what the works were i'd have argued with them re the costs - especially if it is a widely reported fault on cars within the warranty period ie sterring columns etc etc. However if it's a wear and tear thing like clutches/brake lines etc then you may struggle.

Worth remembering though as i'm sure a MINI is built to last more than 3 years or 50,000 miles!!

3GGG
7th December 2004, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Sleepy/others - did you not try threatening the dealer with the sale of goods act? A quality built item has an expected shelf life out with any warranty period in which it should be reasonably fault free. It is for this reason alone paying £100

Funnily enough WUL the only extended warranty I ever buy is for my Zanussi washer/drier. I generally get my money back on the first repair.

<Touches wood> - the other electrical items such as TV's, computers (not laptops though) don't generally fail, my last Toshiba TV and JVC VCR I kept for 20 years and it were still working when I donated them to a Charity shop. Fridge freezer lasted 25 years, only needed 2 thermostats in that period. With modern stuff like DVD players so ridiculously cheap, it doesn't make sense to take out warranties on them as they will be out of date by the time they fail and if they do fail the replacement one will be better and cheaper.

My experience of my MINI however, with the number of warranty repairs I have had so far would make me feel inclined to take out the extended warranty after 3 years. (I'm keeping it).

X30YES
7th December 2004, 09:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by laraboo

Hello, newbie here...:I

I have a Dec 01 mini that's nearly out of warranty and have been offered the extended one from Easterns. Would those that know recommend I take it? I like the car (and my mods, cd changer, 17" wheels, saltire, bonnet stripes etc...) but don't hold out too much faith in the build quality. Tons has been done on the warranty already. Perhaps I should trade it in and get new one?? If so, I presume I could re-use me wheels?

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated... ta x

Edit:- Moved to correct forum
Well look at it this way ,its about £80 PH labour for a service , unless you get it done on the side , I would think it would be worth extending it if you are keeping the car and planning on doing some miles in the next year or so ...other option as to trade up for a new one as others have said .

The Dogfather
8th December 2004, 01:35 AM
Shop around for warranties the BMW one is very expensive you can get a 2 year warranty underwritten by AXA for about the same price!

The Dogfather
8th December 2004, 01:36 AM
Wul - You're right about the sale of goods act but it would be very difficult if not impossible to apply the principle to a complicated high use item such as a car.

Craig
8th December 2004, 02:24 AM
Lara, I would trade up, because

a) you should get a good price for your car at the moment as residuals are still good

b) as others have said the build quality is far better on the 03 cars onwards and you can get more toys:D

c)if your finance is just about paid, you will be able to reduce your monthly payments with MINI Select as you should have a sizeably deposit.

If it were me, I would trade up as I feel warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. Every time I need anything done under warranty it is always a fight with the garage to get them to do anything. < yes minime, that includes Menzies>. As the MINI is now over 3 years old, they have just about got all the gremlins out and most people with an 04 plate car rave about the build quality. (Lightbody is a case in point - Cue Rob !)

Craig

Mini Me
8th December 2004, 04:16 AM
that reply was proper Bo !;)<sorry craig d ,couldn't resist>, can i have a re-wind:eek::p

laraboo
8th December 2004, 06:56 AM
Weehee, looks like I am in the market for a younger mini then. :D Gulp....hadn't planned on that being on my Santa list this Christmas! Any dealers that anyone can particularly recommend???

Thanks for your words of wisdom chaps.

The Dogfather
8th December 2004, 07:06 AM
Menzies? Just make sure you get served by Clare not Iain ;)

Steph
8th December 2004, 08:40 AM
Definitely get one or tother. I am already using my extended warranty after 2 months. Not that I needed much done under the original - a couple of recalls, a couple of faults - nothing that dented my enjoyment at all!
Remember though if you trade in for new, you'll pay the tax man again! And if you get finance, all the interest payments.:(