PDA

View Full Version : THE CAR WASH THREAD

sleepyrascal
7th December 2004, 07:35 AM
I know some of you will get shivers down your spine at the suggestion of using a garage jet spray, but for the rest of you, I found a great winter one.

Just of the bridge of Dee roundabout (South side - opposite side that asda is on) there is a small service station. There has been two buy time system jet washers there for a few years now, but if you go round the corner of the garage, there are two brand spanking new indoor wash bays. Fully flood lit indoor bays with buy time system washers. Brilliant if you need a quick wash in these rainy dark nights. A quick wash for the car obviously.

Edit: wrong forum

The Dogfather
7th December 2004, 07:46 AM
Perfect for Elliott's bath night! I can wash him and the car at the same time!

Only joking folks before anyone reports me to the SSPCA!

Scottch
7th December 2004, 07:54 AM
BDM,

All joking aside mate, one of the car washes in Kirkcaldy has a special wee booth for shoving the dog and giving him a wash (it's low pressure obviously). Special shampoo's the lot!

Cheers!

Scott

Wul
9th December 2004, 12:52 AM
a few pointers on jet washes peeps:

1 - are you sure the soap they've used isn't just a bottle of fairy liquid? if it is then you'll strip off all your wax protection

2- always point the lance at 45deg to the paint or you'll ram the grit into the clear coat.

3. NEVER use the brush - the grit held in these things will act like sandpaper!:eek:

I'm always sceptical about the foam soap these new drive through jetwas places use (squirted out a hoselock pump spray) it looks far too soapy to be good old car shampoo and i'm sure fairy is a lot cheaper!

The Dogfather
9th December 2004, 12:59 AM
I knew it was coming, just took longer than expected! Nice one Wul! :)

Scottie
9th December 2004, 01:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

a few pointers on jet washes peeps:

1 - are you sure the soap they've used isn't just a bottle of fairy liquid? if it is then you'll strip off all your wax protection

2- always point the lance at 45deg to the paint or you'll ram the grit into the clear coat.

3. NEVER use the brush - the grit held in these things will act like sandpaper!:eek:

I'm always sceptical about the foam soap these new drive through jetwas places use (squirted out a hoselock pump spray) it looks far too soapy to be good old car shampoo and i'm sure fairy is a lot cheaper!

WUL I'm shocked:eek: you've forgot the most important point on why not to use a jet wash.

4. Never let the hose attached to the brush or jet nozzle rub agains't the car always keep a hold of it or take someone with you who holds the hose away from the car while you wash.

The amount of times I see people using these machines and the hose is going all over the car.:disapprove:

Scottie
9th December 2004, 01:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

BDM,

All joking aside mate, one of the car washes in Kirkcaldy has a special wee booth for shoving the dog and giving him a wash (it's low pressure obviously). Special shampoo's the lot!

Cheers!

Scott

BP have over a 100 sites now with a dog wash.

Paul if u want a list of them let me know.:D

Scottie
9th December 2004, 01:09 AM
BP retail sites with a Jet Wash machine use a foam car wash cleaner that is friendly to polymer car polish. That's what it says on the containers just went out and checked.

Wul
9th December 2004, 01:23 AM
:cool: Good news Fiona - is that the same for the doggy washes too? ;)

You're right of course re the hose thingy too - gives me the shivers! :eek:

sleepyrascal
9th December 2004, 03:15 AM
At the end of the day ... If ive got sh*t on my car, I just want it off. I hold the brush about 6 inches off the bodywork and cover the car in foam, then power spray all over. It gets rid of all the salt and rubbish.

OK OK it's not a proper wash but I just don't have time in the winter during the day. Whoever previously owned my cooper LOVED big carwash bays, and I have lovely micro scratches all over. Can I get rid of that?

Big Col
9th December 2004, 03:39 AM
Wul even though you're really freaky with your whole polish thing, you still manage to rock! ;)

Wul
9th December 2004, 08:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Wul even though you're really freaky with your whole polish thing, you still manage to rock! ;)

:IAww shucks Col - what are you trying to do to me? :I

Wul
9th December 2004, 08:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

and I have lovely micro scratches all over. Can I get rid of that?

Ohh - not had one of these for a while! :p;)

Now ..... where to begin!

Depending on the severity of the scratches Sleepy there are a few products out there that can help you - but you'd be bast waiting till spring unless you have a huge garage to work in!

Meguiars products which would suit you are Scratch X, Clear coat body scrub, or stage 1 cleaner from the deep crytstal set.

I'd advise a tube of scratch X is essential anyway for the odd mark and bird poo etch removal - but doing a whole car with it takes an age.

CCBS and stage 1 cleaner are good products to apply more liberally but all will need a bit of elbow grease to work. What wax do you currently use and i'll give you some better pointers from there.

:approve:

sleepyrascal
10th December 2004, 01:25 AM
Eh..... turtle wax 2 in one. Its like the car version of vidal sasoon wash and go .:I

Wul
10th December 2004, 04:28 PM
Well - another tip is to get a pukka wax/sealant sleepy - products like autoglym extra gloss protection, Meguiars NXT Tech Wax and Gold Class wax, and other carnuba or synthetic waxes usually contain a proportion of "fillers" - these fill fine scrarches and swirls to make them less noticable on your car. If you were feeling really flush and wan't a good finsh i'd recommend:

Wash car with your turtle wax stuff
Quick clay - this removes surface bonded contaminates - ie tar spots
Clear coat body scrub and Scratch X where necessary
NXT Tech wax - followed by a second coat 24hrs later.

That lot will cost you about £50 including a few MF towels and applicators :eek: