PDA

View Full Version : Rip Off

3GGG
7th December 2004, 12:07 AM
Ordered some noise cancelling headphones from the USA -

Price $49.99
Discount $10.00
Not bad I thought - until shipping $34.95 - OK I'll wear that as its still reasonable

However the UPS bar-stewards then wanted me to pay the customs import VAT at £8.27 and wait for it, £10 for 'brokerage surcharges'.... and they wanted cash and had no change so I had to pay them £18.50

So the $39.99 cans cost me a grand total of $110.86, sheesh

Moral, never ever get anything UPS from abroad (unless your boss is paying).

The Dogfather
7th December 2004, 12:09 AM
Do they work though?

Gismo
7th December 2004, 12:11 AM
My recent iPod purchase was sent via FedEx and they did not request any import or handling tax :)
so, £371 for the very new 60gig iPod photo :cool:

3GGG
7th December 2004, 12:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Do they work though?

Well I am supposed to wait till xmas to find out....

GAJ
7th December 2004, 12:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

My recent iPod purchase was sent via FedEx and they did not request any import or handling tax :)

I got mine for £0.00!!:p:I

Scottie
7th December 2004, 12:47 AM
Fedex can raise a invoice up to 90 days after the goods have came into this Country.

3GGG
7th December 2004, 01:31 AM
Yes they work fine! - Have packed them up again for Santa. - In the past DHL have done similar things, I got something sent to my work, a few months after I left employment there, they forwarded a bill from DHL to me for payment...

I really don't mind paying the VAT, it was the damn handling charge which really annoyed me as it came to more than the VAT.

I'm a bit grumpy (more than usual) today - 'cos I've got a sore throat and cold...

Gismo
7th December 2004, 01:36 AM
David, what kind is Santa bringing :question:

3GGG
7th December 2004, 01:51 AM
MACALLY -
Details here (http://www.macally.com/spec/ipod/podpro.html)

I only ordered them because they were inexpensive and on special offer, as it turned out it wasn't such a bargain in the end. What a job to get them out of the blister pack, almost need a chain saw to cut the plastic. They need AAA batteries, have an inline volume control and are white to match an ipod. Come with a storage bag as well.

I have intentions of using them in my 'radio shack' as well, to help cancel some of the blower noise from the RF amplifiers.

David, what kind is Santa bringing :question:

Gismo
7th December 2004, 02:08 AM
Did you consider the eShure phones :question:

3GGG
7th December 2004, 02:17 AM

Did you consider the eShure phones :question:

eSure ? - relax its only a commercial :question::clown:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 05:18 PM
I've got the Shure E2C headphones. They're excellent! Sitting with a raging hangover in Belfast right accross from a very loud bar on a Friday night I've never been more grateful for 3 items kit in my life. My mini iPod, the E2C headphones and the DaVinci code by Dan Brown. Plugged in the headphones, Whacked on some counting crows and drifted off into my own lil world. :)

Nenah
9th December 2004, 08:08 AM

Really? I get a VAT bill from Fed-Ex everytime I import something from the States - maybe this is different. I alwyas request No-Fex-Ex shipping from now on and I've not received an import, handling or otherwise since.:evil:

sleepyrascal
9th December 2004, 08:53 AM
You could have got yourself a pair of sennheiser hd 25's for 99 quid. Sorry for rubbing it in!