PDA

View Full Version : Very Concerned

Steph
5th December 2004, 08:31 AM
I've noticed that there is a poor soul on this site that can't let a spelling or grammar mistake pass them by. This must put them under severe stress, as they attempt to correct such errors as soon as they are detected. I envision them glued to their PC, face manically glowing in the reflected light of the monitor, waiting for the next post to appear.
In the interests of this persons sanity, would it be possible to use a spelling and grammar checker to automatically correct posts before they are stored?

A concerned member
;););)

Big Col
5th December 2004, 08:11 PM
<twitches> I agree! <twitch twitch>

P.S

How many times did you read that post to make sure there wasn't a spelling error Steph? ;)

X30YES
5th December 2004, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steph

I've noticed that there is a poor soul on this site that can't let a spelling or grammar mistake pass them by. This must put them under severe stress, as they attempt to correct such errors as soon as they are detected. I envision them glued to their PC, face manically glowing in the reflected light of the monitor, waiting for the next post to appear.
In the interests of this persons sanity, would it be possible to use a spelling and grammar checker to automatically correct posts before they are stored?

A concerned member
;););)

Be a good idea to have a spell check at the top of the page :D:D
Unconcerned member :p:approve:

The Dogfather
6th December 2004, 12:55 AM
Big C is far to pickie for me likin'. He need to gtta life!

sleepyrascal
6th December 2004, 01:20 AM
How abowt lern too spel. Or If yoo cant, right yoor mehsiges in wurd then copee n payst them intoo the reepli after cheking the speling. Persinally I dont see the need for a spel cheker!

MartinSullivan
6th December 2004, 01:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

How abowt lern too spel. Or If yoo cant, right yoor mehsiges in wurd then copee n payst them intoo the reepli after cheking the speling. Persinally I dont see the need for a spel cheker!

Ai pursenally agree wiv 'im, their iz absolootly know kneed, espeshially wen wee hav Big C 2 keep an i on uz

Big Col
6th December 2004, 04:42 PM
<feels a seizure coming on>

frizzie__kizzie
6th December 2004, 11:31 PM
If we do get a spell checker, the icon should be a picture of Big Col's face!!! LOL!!!

Only jokin' big guy :approve:

:I:clown::kiss:

The Dogfather
6th December 2004, 11:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by frizzie__kizzie

If we do get a spell checker, the icon should be a picture of Big Col's face!!!

Eeww! What a a great way of reducing the number of site visitors!

Not kidding big gus ;):blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::clown:

Big Col
6th December 2004, 11:34 PM
GO TO YOUR ROOM!!! [v]

frizzie__kizzie
6th December 2004, 11:35 PM
I WAS ONLY KIDDING!!! :(:(:(:(

Big Col
6th December 2004, 11:37 PM

I WAS ONLY KIDDING!!! :(:(:(:(

Me too. ;)

Big Col
6th December 2004, 11:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20007/44553.jpg

and he's calling ME ugly! <falls over laughing>

The Dogfather
6th December 2004, 11:52 PM
Actually just to pedantic :p I never called you ugly, I just said a photo of you would keep the number of visitors down!:)

X30YES
6th December 2004, 11:55 PM

If we do get a spell checker, the icon should be a picture of Big Col's face!!! LOL!!!

Only jokin' big guy :approve:

Spell checker was a bit of a joke and not to be taken seriously :p....or is it a good idea after all , well it will keep the yak going for a few days more I guess :D

Scottie
7th December 2004, 12:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
<twitches> I agree! <twitch twitch>

P.S

How many times did you read that post to make sure there wasn't a spelling error Steph? ;)

http://www.tipmaster.com/images/yawn.gif http://www.tipmaster.com/images/sleeping.gif
[/quote]

Big Col
7th December 2004, 01:04 AM
SC doesn't need a spell checker (I don't think Ferrari would be in it anyway). She just needs to learn how to quote properly. :p

Scottie
7th December 2004, 01:30 AM
SC doesn't need a spell checker (I don't think Ferrari would be in it anyway). She just needs to learn how to quote properly. :p
http://www.tipmaster.com/images/yawn.gif

Scottie
7th December 2004, 01:44 AM

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/20007/44553.jpg

and he's calling ME ugly! <falls over laughing>

What are you two like. It reminds me of Paul Burrell and Janet Street-Porter.

I guess Paul you must be Paul (Buzz Lightyear) so that leaves Big Col you must be Janet Street Porter.:D

Let's see a pic then.

The Dogfather
7th December 2004, 02:00 AM
Sorry don't watch Celeb so the comparison is lost on me! :D

MartinSullivan
7th December 2004, 02:32 AM

No completely lost - you obviously knew what she was talking about. I reckon you are a "closet" reality tv fan ;):p

The Dogfather
7th December 2004, 02:35 AM
Martin - It's impossible not to hear something about it, I mean the only way to get away from the bloody thing would be to lock yourself in a room without a TV, radio, internet or papers. Either that or go to Kuwait ;)

MartinSullivan
7th December 2004, 02:39 AM

Martin - It's impossible not to hear something about it, I mean the only way to get away from the bloody thing would be to lock yourself in a room without a TV, radio, internet or papers. Either that or go to Kuwait ;)

I agree, but then surely by your own admission "the comparison is NOT completely lost on you" - that is all I am saying :p

The Dogfather
7th December 2004, 03:11 AM
SC post implies a relationship between Paul Burrell and JSP and I'm assuming that it has something to do with Celeb, but as I don't watch it I don't know what type of relationship it is! :p And that's what I'm saying Mr Sullivan! ;):D

Steph
7th December 2004, 04:34 AM
Col, you were dead right - reworded several times to ensure grammatical correctness!

This web-site is a virtual relaxation zone, so spelling and grammar can go bye bye in my opinion!:) You obviously get lots of fun out of being the primo spell checker - who are we to think it obsessive?:)

Big Col
7th December 2004, 04:55 PM

For once I agree. :D:cool:;)

Big Col
7th December 2004, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
http://www.tipmaster.com/images/yawn.gif

By your constant posting of a yawning smiley, inferring boredom,you obviously don't understand irony either. ;)

Big Col
7th December 2004, 05:01 PM

Col, you were dead right - reworded several times to ensure grammatical correctness!

:D;):cool:

This web-site is a virtual relaxation zone, so spelling and grammar can go bye bye in my opinion!:) You obviously get lots of fun out of being the primo spell checker - who are we to think it obsessive?:)

:D:D:D

I actually don't care either way. I think I done it the first time as a wind up of Iain and BDM called me the "Resident Pedantic Barsteward". I've been doing it ever since as a bit of a running joke. :)

Big Col
7th December 2004, 05:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Let's see a pic then.

I dunno how to post a pic SC.:( You might have saw me on the Arbroath run if you were the lady with the Zeemaxed EB 'S!

I'm the tall bloke. Yellow/Black Cooper.

Gismo
7th December 2004, 05:42 PM
I dunno how to post a pic SC.:(
You can post pics of your new wheels ;) so why not any other pic :evil:

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 05:43 PM
quote:You might have saw me on the Arbroath run
:eek:What kind of grammar is that:dead: You might have SEEN me is surely what you should have said;) :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I dunno how to post a pic SC.:(
You can post pics of your new wheels ;) so why not any other pic :evil:

'cos I don't have a pic of me on a web page anywhere.

Big Col
7th December 2004, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

quote:You might have saw me on the Arbroath run
:eek:What kind of grammar is that:dead: You might have SEEN me is surely what you should have said;) :p:D:approve:

I REALLY hope that was intended as a joke Big G!!! Your grammar can't be that bad! Your wife's a teacher isn't she???

Gismo
7th December 2004, 06:08 PM
Well, that's slightly different than not knowing how to :evil: see you grammar and punctuation experts :p

Big Col
7th December 2004, 06:20 PM

Well, that's slightly different than not knowing how to :evil: see you grammar and punctuation experts :p

But I don't know how to post a pic when I don't have one on a website!

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 07:55 PM
quote:I REALLY hope that was intended as a joke Big G!!! Your grammar can't be that bad! Your wife's a teacher isn't she???
Excuse me junior but its no joke:evil:I think you'll find its 'I saw you' or 'I have seen you' not 'have saw me':mad: Read your post again it just doesn't sound right now does it;) now add 'seen' in place of 'saw'. Reads a whole lot better and I think you'll find grammatically correct now:approve: IMO anyway ;)
And no she's not a teacher by the way :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 08:10 PM
<sighs> I'm afraid you're wrong Big G. My sentence was in the simple past tense, which means either the time period has finished, as in "I saw three movies last week." or that the time is clear, as in "I saw that movie on Thursday" or "You might have saw me on the Arbroath run". Had my sentence been in the present perfect tense, which is used when the time period has NOT finished, as in "I have seen three movies this week" or when the time is not specific, as in "I have seen that movie already." or "You might have seen me on a run." then you would be correct in using "seen" and not "saw". :)

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 08:38 PM
OK resident barsteward:evil: Lets put it to the forum vote:mad: I think your wrong. It just doesn't read right IMHO. 'seen' is right 'saw' is wrong and I don't care how you try to justify it with all that time space continueum nonsense:blackeye: Let the people decide :D
If you put half as much effort into your work instead of this stuff you would be MD by now ;) :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 08:41 PM
Wait a minute! You're trying to suggest that correct grammar should be put to a vote? What are you? American? "Oooh we don't like the u in colour so lets just take it out!"

Scottie
7th December 2004, 08:54 PM
Never noticed you at Arbroath.;)

Gismo
7th December 2004, 09:12 PM
For what it's worth Big C, you're grammar for "saw" is wrong, :I even Word explains it should be changed to "seen"
Now, hopefully that will be the end of it :evil:;):)

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 09:12 PM
If you did see/saw (marjory daw) him he was the one with the 'saw' sticking ooot his bum ;)
And who made you the authority on grammar anyway Col:question:since when did you become the Georgdubleya of NMS.........God forbid but have you ever thought you might just be WRONG :evil:;)
You really need to do some work laddie and let this go:blackeye: :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 09:19 PM
He must be writing a BIG reply:D Thank goodness I'm in Bristol 400 miles away this week :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 09:21 PM
quote:Now, hopefully that will be the end of it
Are you kidding Alan:eek: Its Colin we're talking about :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
7th December 2004, 09:22 PM
Waiting for the next installment is certainly getting my post count up :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 09:28 PM

For what it's worth Big C, you're grammar for "saw" is wrong, :I even Word explains it should be changed to "seen"
Now, hopefully that will be the end of it :evil:;):)

Oooh if the word grammar check corrects it I MUST be wrong! :eek:

Big Col
7th December 2004, 09:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy
And who made you the authority on grammar anyway Col

Whoa! You're the one that dug me up on my grammar Big G! I was done with doing that!

Burple
9th December 2004, 07:41 PM
<peeks in at thread, shakes head, wanders away>

Oh boy...

<wanders back for a mo>

Who the hell is This Burrell person? He's a celebrity WHY exactly???

..or is it just another simple case of some pathetic wannabe trying to get their sad 15 Minutes whoring themself out to the media?
"Oh look at me... I've suffered such a hardship.. I CAMPED OUT for 4 days with only 200 media lackies around and a 5 star hotel a short Limo trip away"

Are the public in this country so shallow and gullible to belive this is 'entertainment?' :evil::blackeye::eek::disapprove::p

Scottie
9th December 2004, 10:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
<peeks in at thread, shakes head, wanders away>

Oh boy...

<wanders back for a mo>

Who the hell is This Burrell person? He's a celebrity WHY exactly???

..or is it just another simple case of some pathetic wannabe trying to get their sad 15 Minutes whoring themself out to the media?
"Oh look at me... I've suffered such a hardship.. I CAMPED OUT for 4 days with only 200 media lackies around and a 5 star hotel a short Limo trip away"

Are the public in this country so shallow and gullible to belive this is 'entertainment?' :evil::blackeye::eek::disapprove::p

Me I do;)

Burple
9th December 2004, 10:34 PM
quote:
Me I do;)

groan.... <shakes head> ;)

p.s.... Just a nibble this time?? you're learning! ;);):p:D
(I'll put the 'wind-up' hat away for today ;):p:evil::D:D:cool:)

Steph
10th December 2004, 07:58 AM
Ooops! You remember you said it was all a bit of fun and not serious?

<sighs> I'm afraid you're wrong Big G. My sentence was in the simple past tense, which means either the time period has finished, as in "I saw three movies last week." or that the time is clear, as in "I saw that movie on Thursday" or "You might have saw me on the Arbroath run". Had my sentence been in the present perfect tense, which is used when the time period has NOT finished, as in "I have seen three movies this week" or when the time is not specific, as in "I have seen that movie already." or "You might have seen me on a run." then you would be correct in using "seen" and not "saw". :)

Inexorably sucked into a response....

Think the change from 'I' to 'You' affects the result or the use of the word 'have', so I don't think the examples demonstrate your argument.
The following sentences could be used instead, thus avoiding the great seen-saw debate:

'You possibly observed me on the Arbroath run'
'You may have noticed me on the Arbroath run'

Anyway, wouldn't it be the MINIs that everyone would be clocking?
:)

Big Gordy
10th December 2004, 05:57 PM
Don't worry Steph:D Big Col and I until recently worked together so we're used to hurling abuse at each other on a regular basis;) It was I who told him to go and buy his mini after all:approve: So don't panic:D it is all fun and not too serious :p:D:approve:

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 06:19 PM
Col - Having read through some of the discussion in this post:sleepy: I thought it might be worthwhile sharing something I learnt a few years back.

I went to a lecture by some leading linguist (I was accompanying a bit of totty:kiss: I was seeing at the time:I) and he said that there is strictly no right and wrong grammar, rather it’s more about what the majority of people use. Languages evolve, usually influenced by the media and methods of communication at the time.

My point being when Big G called for a vote:approve:, this was actually a very good way of establishing what is acceptable:D.

If people like you had your way we’d be all using ‘Ye Olde Worlde’ English. Time to move on Col:eek::blackeye:;)!

Julz
10th December 2004, 06:37 PM
I don't think Col is looking for everyone, as you put it, to speak in Ye Olde Worlde english (or Scottish as the case may be), I think he just wants to speak proper if you ken what I mean like ken!! However, if we did 'move on', plebspeak, I fear, is the language that would go as the majority, as there appears to be far more plebs with their new language that cannae speak proper due to lack of people correcting them, and it DRIVES ME MAD:mad:, I think I'll stick with Col on this one (even though he did get his grammar wrong!;)), I'd rather peoples speaked proper ken like, than spoked like a pleb!!:p

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 06:54 PM
Julz - Plebs have and always will speak like plebs just try talking to an inbred Aberdonnian! The lecture bloke actually covered 'The plebs' in his lecture, he said that they have very little influence on the language of educated people.

I agree with you on 'Chavspeak' it's awful and admire your patriotism but Scottish isn't a language :p unless of course your talking about Gaelic which I doubt.

Julz
10th December 2004, 07:01 PM
Aye, and England doesn't mean the whole of Great Britain!!:evil: I'd rather say I spoke scottish than english any day!!:p:D And you might find this (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/) useful!!;)

Big Col
10th December 2004, 07:02 PM

If people like you had your way we’d be all using ‘Ye Olde Worlde’ English. Time to move on Col:eek::blackeye:;)!

So moving on means a lack of education??? Correct grammar is not old fashioned or out of date just because people are too lazy to use it or have not been taught it correctly in the first place. Note:I'm not meaning anyone here. My grammar corrections on here are a wind up and I'm not saying anyone here is stoopid (apart from Iain).

but Scottish isn't a language

It is actually.

http://scotsyett.com/default.asp
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/language/scots/
http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/ScotLit/ASLS/NoFrames/ScotLang2.html

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 07:16 PM
Col - I stand corrected, Scottish is a language, my appologies!

Julz - Have a look at what Col's posted is that how you speak?;) You don't post on here like that:p

So moving on means a lack of education??? Correct grammar is not old fashioned or out of date just because people are too lazy to use it or have not been taught it correctly in the first place. Note:I'm not meaning anyone here. My grammar corrections on here are a wind up and I'm not saying anyone here is stoopid (apart from Iain).

Col - Read my post again, the point I made was that 'correct grammar' is an invalid statement. Grammar is a moving concept and it's driven by what is the acceptable norm for the educated. What you were taught at school is not 'correct grammar' rather what was acceptable at the time. Things do and have moved on.

Yes I know your winding people up:D and so am I:p, and yes Iain is a numpty;)!

Julz
10th December 2004, 07:30 PM

What you were taught at school is not 'correct grammar' rather what was acceptable at the time. Things do and have moved on.

That explains why we think differently then seeing as Col and I are about the same age, and were therefore at school at about the same time, and you are so much older!!;):p:D

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 07:34 PM
What in 8 years? I doubt it, but nice try sweetie ;)

Big Col
10th December 2004, 07:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

[quote]Originally posted by bad dog mini

That explains why we think differently then seeing as Col and I are about the same age, and were therefore at school at about the same time, and you are so much older!!;):p:D

We also went to school Julz...

Big Col
10th December 2004, 07:38 PM

Col - Read my post again, the point I made was that 'correct grammar' is an invalid statement. Grammar is a moving concept and it's driven by what is the acceptable norm for the educated. What you were taught at school is not 'correct grammar' rather what was acceptable at the time. Things do and have move on.

How can "correct grammar" be an invalid statement? Even when things move on there is a grammatical standard for any given moment in time and anything written that matches that grammatical standard at that moment in time has "correct grammar".

Mini Me
10th December 2004, 07:47 PM
WOT ????? let it go guy's ,cos i don't think anyone else knows what ure on about)well me anyway):p

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 07:50 PM
Col - Correct, implies right and wrong. Right?

The concept this guy was talking about was that there is no right or wrong rather a pool of acceptable grammar. To use the example of the saw/seen post, possibly both are acceptable at this moment in time.

I'm no expert on grammar <damn right>, your arguement about the use of 'saw' seems valid enough, but I'd have used 'seen' just like Big G.

Big Col
10th December 2004, 08:00 PM

Col - Correct, implies right and wrong. Right?

The concept this guy was talking about was that there is no right or wrong rather a pool of acceptable grammar. To use the example of the saw/seen post, possibly both are acceptable at this moment in time.

I'm no expert on grammar <damn right>, your arguement about the use of 'saw' seems valid enough, but I'd have used 'seen' just like Big G.

There is a right and wrong for any given moment in time. I understand your point about evolving grammar, however, the comment "correct grammar is an invalid statement" is a false statement. (You started it!) :p

Iain - I just rememeberd I have a change in Spec! It's Julz's fault!

The Dogfather
10th December 2004, 08:13 PM
Understand were your coming from, if you want to use the phrase 'correct grammar' perhaps there's more than one 'correct grammar' at any given time?

The point I was making is that a singular 'correct grammar' is an invalid statement.

Iain - He wants a scottish speaking sat nav! :p

Julz
10th December 2004, 08:51 PM
Iain - I just rememeberd I have a change in Spec! It's Julz's fault!

Yes, I shall take all the blame!!:p:D

Sheilz
11th December 2004, 10:44 AM
Its the bastardization of language caused by the modern habit of confusing/integrating the vernacular with the written. Depending on your individual point of view it can be seen as good or bad. On the plus side it simplifies language - less goobldygook - and is afterall how language has evolved to its present state. On the negative side some may see it as a lowering of standards and an erosion of language - Americanization of English, rapidly vanishing dialects such as Doric etc. I dont think this is unique to Scots or English though some nationalities are pro-active in protecting their language. I'm sure someone told me recently that there is a movement in France to replace English/American words with an appropriate French version. Can understand the patriotic impulses behind this but also I think its a very small part of the 'battening down the hatches' trend in the global community. One of my professors at uni, an expert in Russian history, predicted war between the US and Europe within 200 years. Hopefully he was being unduly pessimistic. (bloody hell I'm fairly cheery the night)

:D:D:D

Mini Me
11th December 2004, 09:54 PM
I must be thick,cos not only don't i have a clue what you are talking about,but my head hurt's reading it !:p