PDA

View Full Version : MINI Passes MOT!

duncan
3rd December 2004, 11:34 PM
EEEEK!

Got the dreaded phonecall, Its failed!:blackeye::dead:

It failed on Headlamp adjustment, and a rear brake caliper.

Hopefully though, the work will be repaired under warranty.

Big Col
3rd December 2004, 11:36 PM
oooh! Ouch! I never thought any MINI would fail it's first M.O.T. That's 2 now, both of them with headlight problems. :eek:

MartinSullivan
3rd December 2004, 11:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
oooh! Ouch! I never thought any MINI would fail it's first M.O.T. That's 2 now, both of them with headlight problems. :eek:

Yeah, I am surprised as well, be interesting to see how many more fail on the same thing.

sleepyrascal
4th December 2004, 09:13 AM
I had my headlights replaced on warranty for the headlight problem!

mgemie
4th December 2004, 10:05 PM
whats the fault in the headlights causing ppl to fail MOTs? Is it worth me taking mine to get checking sometime?

sleepyrascal
4th December 2004, 10:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

whats the fault in the headlights causing ppl to fail MOTs? Is it worth me taking mine to get checking sometime?

Ok Mgemie. Basically, if you wait till it gets dark, jump in your car and go for a blast down a dark country road. When you are driving, use the following test to examine whether or not you have a headlight problem.

*Look directly infront of you whilst driving with the lights switched on
* If you cant see more than 4cm infront of your nose, you have the problem
* If you can see clearly ahead of you, you don't have the problem

It involves the headlight levelling. For me anyway. My lights had sunk to a lower level than they should and even when set at the highest seting, they were far to low to be safe.

duncan
4th December 2004, 10:46 PM
You don't have to wait till dark o'clock, you can do it waiting in traffic!

Have your headlights on, and with a car in front of you (thats the important bit!) see the beam on the rear of it.

Now, move the switch/dial for the headlights, and watch the beams move up or down, or in my case, watch 1 move up and down! (The Nearside headlamp doesnt move)

I was told, its likey the plastic gearwheels are faulty.

Smurf
4th December 2004, 11:37 PM
I had one headlight which wouldn't adjust up or down when you twiddled the little wheel under the steering wheel.
Took it in to get it fixed, and they said they couldn't find the fault, that everything was working properly.
Got the car back, assumed it still wouldn't work, but it did! Now, either it's intermittent, or they fixed it without telling me for some reason.....

Steph
5th December 2004, 08:03 AM
EEEK indeed. I hope it wasn't a fault transmitted by my MINI to yours when they parked together at Tesco's!!! Though I think mine had been sorted by then.
Comfortably within your warranty I believe...

duncan
6th December 2004, 08:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steph

EEEK indeed. I hope it wasn't a fault transmitted by my MINI to yours when they parked together at Tesco's!!! Though I think mine had been sorted by then.
Comfortably within your warranty I believe...

Heh, I think your in the clear, and hopefully it'll all be sorted by Thursday!

Burple
6th December 2004, 10:43 PM
Had mine in for the same thing once already under warranty.
JC's replaced both headlights after one started doing this intermittently..

It's happened again a couple of times recently tho.. Same headlight too!! :evil::mad::blackeye:

The Dogfather
6th December 2004, 11:13 PM
Is there any need for them to do the up and down thing everytime you switch on the lights?

Steph
7th December 2004, 04:47 AM
Don't know if your gonna go for extended warranty Duncan, I did and already its paying off. Rear washer jet stopped working - needs a new motor! Quite handy really as he was really mucky and is now shiny again. I've noticed though that JC's never seem to have the replacement required in stock!

PS I like the up and down thing (of the lights!) when switched on. It's like the car is waking up

Big Col
7th December 2004, 04:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steph

PS I like the up and down thing (of the lights!) when switched on. It's like the car is waking up

LOL! I've never thought of it like that before. Very cute. 8)

duncan
10th December 2004, 12:14 AM
Woo Hoo!

Its like new again!

And the brakes are SO much better!

Steph
10th December 2004, 08:10 AM
I feel your joy :D