PDA

View Full Version : New S Auto

Mini Me
29th November 2004, 01:27 AM
It's time for me to confirm my spec,on my new S.Pondering big time over the auto box,and was looking for feedback from the usual suspects ,regarding how popular this option will really be;):approve:
The manual is ace fun :p:pand iv'e got to keep it for 3 months remember:eek:

Gismo
29th November 2004, 03:01 AM
No fun driving an auto ;)

Craig
29th November 2004, 04:10 AM
Do you get the Auto with MINI Slippers and a Pipe? :p

Scottie
29th November 2004, 08:45 AM
Being a mainly auto driver (Touareg) which also has the paddle shift it can be a lot of fun.:D

Auto makes driving much more smooth.

After all a lot of the Porsche and Ferrari have the paddle shifts.

AndyP & Lenore
29th November 2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Iain,

We ordered our Auto Cooper S last week, for delivery in March 05. Can't wait.

We have a Cooper CVT at the moment and crave the power of an S with an Auto box. Unfortunately, because of physical difficulties, we simply can't drive a manual anymore. :( But the Auto S will fly like sh*t off a shovel.

I know the first two responses are a little negative, but the Aisin box is used in the Audi TT and Aisin make the manual box for Porsche. In fact I have a set of specs from BMW and they are:

Cooper S Man. Top speed 138
Cooper S Auto Top Speed 137
Cooper S Man. 0-62MPH 7.2s
Cooper S Auto 0-62MPH 7.7s
Cooper S Man 1000m from standstill 27.9s
Cooper S Auto 1000m from standstill 28.3s

So, I'm not worried about performance. It's a fair sight better than the CVT and that fairly flies as it is.

AndyP

monkimagic
29th November 2004, 04:54 PM
Auto are as much fun as wearing a wet sock ! stay well clear !!

Duncan Stewart
29th November 2004, 05:54 PM
Autos I have driven in the past have been awful things :dead: but I hear the autobox fitted to Minis is more in keeping with the sporty nature of the Mini :D . Go on, get one and then you can give us an honest opinion if it's any good :p ( or maybe not - you are a salesman :eek: ;))

Scottch
29th November 2004, 06:05 PM
Iain,

All I can add is, it wouldn't do for me mate.

In my own car (the mini really belongs to me missus) I have the AGS gearbox, I find it ... good for an auto I suppose, but still not a patch on a good old stick shifter. In fact, I can't wait to sell the car in order to, hopefully, get a manual box.

But, from what I've read, the mini box does sound interesting.

Cheers!

Scott

Tahra
29th November 2004, 07:33 PM
Autos are only useful in big cars with plenty of torque. The S ain't one of those...

I reckon an auto box in an S will see it shifting up way before you get even close to the power band, and as we know, there's bu66er all torque below 3krpm in a stock S.

John (Mini no more, Methil No MOre, Skye no more...)

Big Col
30th November 2004, 12:00 AM
Is it a paddle shift mate:question:

Scottch
30th November 2004, 12:09 AM
Pinched from mini2

SNIP
From 1 January 2005, MINI will be available with a number of new options that further increase the opportunity for MINI owners to personalise their cars.

For the first time, MINI Cooper S and MINI Cooper S Convertible will be offered with a six-speed automatic transmission that includes Steptronic mode and Steptronic paddles on the steering wheel as standard. Unlike the MINI One and MINI Cooper Continuously Variable Transmission system, this new automatic transmission has fixed gear rations which result in quicker gear changes and a dynamic driving experience tuned specifically to match the MINI Cooper S' sporty character.

This new automatic transmission also features AGS (Adaptive Transmission Control). AGS allows the transmission to adapt in accordance with the driver's driving style. For example, the transmission will build the revs for longer before changing gear if it "knows" the driver enjoys driving to the car's limits. The automatic transmission is priced at £1,050.

SNIP

Paddles included it seems!

Cheers!

Scott

Mini Me
30th November 2004, 07:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Is it a paddle shift mate:question:
tis paddle shift Col ,looks like fun.It's mainly for the yank market,but i don't know (from a sales point of view)how popular it will be,and if i go for auto,and no one want's to drive it.................nae money for minime,cos am not allowed one of each(gutted):disapprove::mad:

Big Col
30th November 2004, 07:52 AM
When will you get it??? If you get it in time I'd be tempted if you'll give me a shot...

Mini Me
30th November 2004, 07:54 AM

When will you get it??? If you get it in time I'd be tempted if you'll give me a shot...
nae probs;)

Big Col
30th November 2004, 07:54 AM
Well gerrit dammit! You know time is tight! :D

Mini Me
30th November 2004, 07:56 AM
Well gerrit dammit! You know time is tight! :D
I might not like it Col,and i can't replace it for 3 MONTHS !!!:dead:;)

Big Col
30th November 2004, 07:57 AM
Well suck it and see!!! If I don't like it I'd have it for 4 years!!!!!!!!

Mini Me
30th November 2004, 08:02 AM
It has been put back from January build to February,so i might not get mine in time, but i know a dealer this is getting one, and i'm sure i could get it for a wee shot:p
Sort of puts it out the picture for you though,if you were thinking about it.You better run it past your mum first though,wouldn't wan't you getting into more trouble after today....

Big Col
30th November 2004, 08:03 AM
Dude any more of that I'm getting her to nag you!!!!

The Dogfather
30th November 2004, 08:19 AM
Mum? I thought he was a genetic experiment!

weefossy
30th November 2004, 08:35 AM
Go for it. I've had auto / sequential on all my work cars and i've just ordered it on my new one. It is just as fast as a manual for me in the sequential mode, probably because allmy manual gear changes aint perfect!! If you're in town / traffic the auto is stress free. I know they say it's better in big cars, but the S has a lot of power, so hopefully, it should work well.

Big Col
30th November 2004, 05:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Mum? I thought he was a genetic experiment!

<sighs> You're still not getting the hang of this humour thing are you? Don't worry mate. You'll get it one day. Just keep on trying ickle fella. <ruffles BDM's hair>

The Dogfather
30th November 2004, 05:22 PM
Col - Personally I thought it was quite funny, you mustn't have a sense of humour, perhaps because you work (not!) in marketing?

Big Col
30th November 2004, 05:27 PM

Col - Personally I thought it was quite funny, you mustn't have a sense of humour, perhaps because you work (not!) in marketing?

<stoops down to talk to the ickle fella> Of course you thought it was quite funny wickle chap. Aren't you a cwever wickle fing! Now go and play and let the grown ups talk. Cute ickle fella. <pops a lolly into BDM's mouth>

<pops a lolly in Julz's mouth too before she starts> ;)

The Dogfather
30th November 2004, 05:36 PM
Col - I think you've used that line before with either LnL or Julz, it's getting a bit tired now. Looks like the creativity is drying up, perhaps a change of career/job is needed?

Big Col
30th November 2004, 05:47 PM

Col - I think you've used that line before with either LnL or Julz, it's getting a bit tired now. Looks like the creativity is drying up, perhaps a change of career/job is needed?

Awwwww lookit! Da wickle fella thinks he remembers. Awwww that's soooooooooooooo sweet. <pinches BDM's cheek>

The Dogfather
30th November 2004, 06:00 PM
OK, I know used that line before! Better?

Big Col
30th November 2004, 06:10 PM
See! It is possible to teach a bad dog new tricks!

The Dogfather
30th November 2004, 06:13 PM
It's the old tricks that you have to watch for though!

Scottie
30th November 2004, 07:45 PM
Can I just say that most of you guys are as thick as two planks of short wood (slow).

Did I not mention in my early post about paddles.

Does it take a women to know everything.

Well it would seem so;)

Big Col
30th November 2004, 07:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Can I just say that most of you guys are as thick as two planks of short wood.

Did I not mention in my early post about paddles.

Dose it take a women to know everything.

Well it would seem so;)

Yup...we're the thick ones.

Out of curiosity what does the length of the wood have to do with the thickness of it:question:

Also, have you worked out how to spell Ferraris yet or is the Ferriar a new car manufacturer I've never heard of? :D;):p

Gismo
30th November 2004, 08:03 PM
There's a convenient forum for all things considered off topic :evil:
Please respect the original poster's views :p;):)

Scottie
30th November 2004, 08:12 PM
quote:Yup...we're the thick ones.

Out of curiosity what does the length of the wood have to do with the thickness of it:question:

Also, have you worked out how to spell Ferraris yet or is the Ferriar a new car manufacturer I've never heard of? :D;):p

I've now changed them.
Cheers.;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2005, 02:49 AM
I was trawling around the Gen Disc forum and found this thread, which I'd totally forgotten about.

minime.... did you go for the Auto S or did you stay with a manual?

Just for clarification, and all IMHO, the Cooper S absolutely rocks! 0 - 60 in 6.8 seconds (ish).

Someone said it would change up well before hitting the power band... not so! In manual mode it changes up at around 6,750 revs.

Mini Me
19th April 2005, 07:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP

I was trawling around the Gen Disc forum and found this thread, which I'd totally forgotten about.

minime.... did you go for the Auto S or did you stay with a manual?

Just for clarification, and all IMHO, the Cooper S absolutely rocks! 0 - 60 in 6.8 seconds (ish).

Someone said it would change up well before hitting the power band... not so! In manual mode it changes up at around 6,750 revs.

Went for the manual just now, but have ordered an auto for June....:p

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2005, 07:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime
Went for the manual just now, but have ordered an auto for June....:p

Cool.

You'll love it! :D:D