PDA

View Full Version : probably a stooopid question but...

mgemie
28th November 2004, 10:24 AM
...is a front spoiler the same thing as a front splitter i.e. an add-on to the bottom edge of the front bumper?

minidriver#1
28th November 2004, 08:07 PM
yeh, i think they are the same.

Vicki
29th November 2004, 02:38 AM
what is a front spoiler? it may be really obvious and something simple but never heard of a front spoiler b4, anyone got pictures?

KINGHORN
29th November 2004, 03:06 AM
YIP THE SAME THING

redpoint rallying
29th November 2004, 06:16 AM
A front spoiler is basically the lower part of the front bumper which is extended in the vertical plain towards the ground so giving the appearence of a deeper front bumper. It is designed to aid air flow and improve the vehicles aerodynamics.

A splitter is slightly different but is also fitted to the lower most edge of the front bumper (generally attached at 90 degs. to the front spoiler) but is in the horizontal plain. This is designed to improve 'ground effect' ie, to clean up the air flow under the car and make it stick to the road/track surface with more efficiently.

Any help?

Cheers!

minidriver#1
29th November 2004, 06:48 AM
ah excellent. So front splitters arent just cosmetic but their primary function is to improve road handling?

duncan
29th November 2004, 08:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

ah excellent. So front splitters arent just cosmetic but their primary function is to improve road handling?

Yes, but not on the Kingsway, KJ!:eek::p;)

mgemie
29th November 2004, 09:20 AM
redpoint rallying - cheers for the explanation dude, i was browsing minispeed and ended up thinking if a front splitter & spoiler are diff things and now i know.

redpoint rallying
2nd December 2004, 08:57 AM
Will attempt to stick on a pic if I can!!!

cheers!

redpoint rallying
2nd December 2004, 09:37 AM
http://www.ckc.u-net.com/Fordpuma/rapidfitpuma.jpg

Have a close look at the front of this Super 1600 Puma tarmac spec rally car. You can see the Splitter attached to the bottom edge of the front bumper. Only of use on tarmac rally cars and race cars. Just cosmetic on a road car.

Cheers!

Big Col
2nd December 2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks for that Redpoint. Every day's a schoolday. :)

mgemie
2nd December 2004, 06:31 PM
anyone fitted one to a MINI with standard bumper? would it be a drilling job or is their mounts already there????

Scottie
2nd December 2004, 06:50 PM
I've got one.

mgemie
2nd December 2004, 08:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I've got one.

where'd you get the splitter from? Is this fitted to your recently added MCS bumpers? Did you fit it yourself - how does it attached?

Scottie
2nd December 2004, 08:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I've got one.

where'd you get the splitter from? Is this fitted to your recently added MCS bumpers? Did you fit it yourself - how does it attached?

Oops sorry:I It's fitted to Allan's Zeemax Blue cooper s not my Cabrio Red Cooper S.:approve:

Got it from Zeemax cost over the odds.