PDA

View Full Version : Spot Lights

minimaster
28th November 2004, 04:29 AM
Just after a bit of advice regarding fitting a set of spots (or 2) to my car. Does anyone have any horror stories with the aftermarket ones? What about fitting costs?

X30YES
28th November 2004, 04:39 AM
It takes about 2.5 hrs at the dealers @ £80-90 ph .... yes I know what you are thinking .
Wiring kit is not a bad idea ,with all the wee bits you require ,clips , cable relay etc ,
All that you really requir is some two core cable a relay and a few spade terminals .
Martin S will be along soon and tell you about the horrors of drilling :D:D:D:Das he has just fitted some on his car

minimaster
28th November 2004, 05:11 AM
I think i will be looking for some back street auto leccy to fit them, times are hard haha!

monkey trousers
2nd December 2004, 03:26 AM
don't get the garage kit they rust very quick

Mini Me
2nd December 2004, 05:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkey trousers

don't get the garage kit they rust very quick
They are now coming with black brackets to rectify that wee prob...;)

X30YES
2nd December 2004, 09:37 PM
Yes they do come with black brackets now , but still about change for a beer out of £400 at a dealer

Mini Me
3rd December 2004, 04:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Yes they do come with black brackets now , but still about change for a beer out of £400 at a dealer
WOW,what a cracking deal,only £375 fitted,nah that can't be right,thats far to cheap:eek:;)

monkey trousers
3rd December 2004, 04:13 AM
it's not the brackets it's the lights. took a set off a 03 motor recently an it was seriosly corroded inside!

Gismo
3rd December 2004, 04:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime
Does that mean they are covered under warranty 8)

Mini Me
3rd December 2004, 05:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by minime
Does that mean they are covered under warranty 8)
1 year manufacturers warranty:)

weefossy
3rd December 2004, 11:19 PM
Have fitted (4 x spots) to 3 cars now. Both Sioban's cars were done by BMW and didn't get much change out of £600 each time. Shows how much I like 4xspots. Neil fitted Sioban's old set to his car with the help of a local mechanic. (Really good guy) without too much problem. Difficult part is drilling and then connecting it to the relay. Once you have done that you need to get BMW to do a bit of "programming" so that they work in conjunction with the normal "full beams". £35 charge. Much easier if you have 2 factory fitted and are just adding another 2.
Yes they do rust, but so do the after market ones' I have seen. Hope that's helpful!

MartinSullivan
3rd December 2004, 11:40 PM
So far (touch wood) my 4 lamps and bar from Mini spares havent shown any signs of rust - and they didnt require any drilling into the bonnet or programming by the dealer

The Dogfather
4th December 2004, 12:29 AM
I'm in the process of fitting the lights (aftermarket lights with BMW brackets), just drilled 2 of the 6 holes and decided to stop because I was losing the light. As far I wiring is concerned I'm connecting them direct to the battery which a relay to switch them on when the main beams come on. No need for BMW input!

Mini Me
4th December 2004, 04:21 AM
Something stinks BD.....There is some level off inteligence required(youv'e booked it in,admit it,go on,go on,go,on,go on):p

The Dogfather
4th December 2004, 05:38 AM
Iain - I rewired my last house so car electrics are quite easy.

BTW intelligence isn't required when you have a manual to follow!

MartinSullivan
5th December 2004, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Iain - I rewired my last house so car electrics are quite easy.

Unfortunately his last house burnt down - but they never proved it was his wiring!!!!! :D:p;)

The Dogfather
5th December 2004, 05:00 AM
Spots now fitted, bit of a struggle with the riveting. Are the brackets different for a Cooper S?

This would explain some of the difficulty I had, because Angus has an S.

Will be doing the wiring tomorrow (the easy bit).

For the record the house is still standing, which is pretty good going considering I knocked down and built a wall, fitted a bathroom and kitchen!!!!!

Gismo
5th December 2004, 06:10 AM
For the record the house is still standing, which is pretty good going considering I knocked down and built a wall, fitted a bathroom and kitchen!!!!!
But the car was written off ;)

The Dogfather
5th December 2004, 06:56 AM
Hey, I've only ever written off one car, that was a Rover Metro that I decided to park on it's roof! Probabaly doing the world a service - one less metro on the road!

X30YES
5th December 2004, 07:10 AM

Spots now fitted, bit of a struggle with the riveting. Are the brackets different for a Cooper S?

This would explain some of the difficulty I had, because Angus has an S.

Will be doing the wiring tomorrow (the easy bit).

Brackets are one size fits all Paul and yes they take a wee bit of '' modification'' not much though , did you use the spacers ?

The Dogfather
6th December 2004, 12:53 AM
Finished! The only problem was the earth connection which goes through the body of the spots wasn't good enough so I had to run some extra cables to create a better earth!

Makes a huge improvement over the normal mainbeam. I'm considering uprating the wiring so I can go for 2 x 100 watt bulbs in the spots but I'll leave them as is for now.

X30YES
7th December 2004, 09:30 PM

Finished! The only problem was the earth connection which goes through the body of the spots wasn't good enough so I had to run some extra cables to create a better earth!

Makes a huge improvement over the normal mainbeam. I'm considering uprating the wiring so I can go for 2 x 100 watt bulbs in the spots but I'll leave them as is for now.

red_cooper
9th December 2004, 09:12 PM
do the lights suffer from bad vibrations??? im wondering about fitting a set!?
but i fancy big hella lamps decent size make it look like an original mini the factory fit ones are a bit small and girly!!

The Dogfather
9th December 2004, 09:40 PM
They are a bit small but they work very well. I haven't noticed and major vibration and I didn't fit the special extra bracket.

X30YES
10th December 2004, 01:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by red_cooper

do the lights suffer from bad vibrations??? im wondering about fitting a set!?
but i fancy big hella lamps decent size make it look like an original mini the factory fit ones are a bit small and girly!!
Problem in fitting bigger lights is the lamp bracket from BMW,it only allows about a 3 inch clearance from the grill .Hella do a bigger version http://www.newministuff.co.uk/new_mini_lighting.htm

Scottie
10th December 2004, 01:29 AM
I changed my spot lights on the Cabrio gave them to Allan for the blue coop and I fitted (well BMW) PIAA spot lights.

red_cooper
10th December 2004, 09:48 PM
ok cheers i saw one today my colour with them on and not sure if i liked it will have a think!

im still pondering wether to keep it or not, i need new tyres soon that could be the deciding factor, these runflats are mentally dear!!

any suggestions on what i could replace a 53 plate cooper with??

hey paul the tyres/wheels i bot, blu out on me!!!!
major scary!!! blow out at like 110mph!!! so luck i wass going straight and not round a neuk- or it would have been tatties over the side!!

The Dogfather
11th December 2004, 12:36 AM
Phil - Was that the tyres you got from me, or the ones from redpoint that you were going to put on them:question:

If it was mine which ones went the nearly bald or the ones in good nick that were on the back of my car:question:

Either way I did sell them in good faith :I:(, if I'd have had any doubts about them I wouldn't have sold them because I didn't need the brass just the space in my shed! I hope there's no serious damage apart from you needing a new pair of underpants:eek:.

At that speed you must be either one hell of a driver or the jammiest S.O.B. under the sun;)!

red_cooper
11th December 2004, 02:31 AM
the good ones im only winding u up iknow i shouldnt have been goin at that speeds its my own fault i havent got the new rubber yet from martin im needing them big time as my runflats are very nearly gone on the front only lasted 3.5k!!

im not worried about it. no damage at all the outer edge just left the rim! and was enough to allow all the air out o the tyre!!

went with a fair bang!!

noticing a big difference with my car back on the bigger wheels, the is so hard!!

i do pride myself in being a competent driver been doing it since i was 8 or so

Joe
16th December 2004, 04:13 AM
Is it ture you can get angel eye (side)lights for
the spot??? My pal said he saw a mini with them
and whats the cost?