PDA

View Full Version : iPod (Altec) Speakers

Gismo
25th November 2004, 07:48 PM
Anyone (Gaj 3GGG) seen these speakers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4601&item=5142158543&rd=1)
Are they any good, i had decided on the current Altec but these look a wee bit better

Scottch
25th November 2004, 07:57 PM
Bonnie,

I have the current Altec speaker kit - it was fine until I noticed it wasn't charging my pod. Everything else worked dandy, but just the charging bit was U/S.

It's a great wee set up, it's just a shame that they've been a bit troublesome.

The supplier has had them back since the 16th october and I'm still waiting on a replacement set - tw*ts.

Cheers!

Scott

Gismo
25th November 2004, 08:43 PM
Cheers Scott, just read on the iPod lounge about the iM3 speakers, they claim that the iM3 does exactly what it says on the tin, Altec claim they are the most portable set of speakers avaialable for the iPod and they agree with that.
What they do go on to say though is there may be too much bass for some people, but again, Altec claim they are set up that way.
So, once again the reviewers agree and rate them enough, do i justify the expense of them for £129
Am also looking into the 60 gig photo, i don't need the picture showing stuff, but i do need the room
Decisions

Scottch
25th November 2004, 09:07 PM
Bonnie,

I don't actually own that speaker setup (just to be clear), I have the previous generation - and they're tops for sound given the size and how easy they are to lob into the (supplied) bag and take wif ya. They also work from either mains or battery power - you can use them as a standalone unit for sound only or as your ipod dock for yer PC (or mac). Very clever, and very smart.

The 60 gig photo is the Ipod daddy!!

what are you carrying about that needs 'kin 60 gig???

Cheers!

Scott

GAJ
25th November 2004, 09:10 PM
I've seen them but never heard them! If they are a bit bassy you could always set the EQ to bass reducer. They look good though!

I can highly recommend the 60GB iPod photo! I wasn't really that bothered about the picture viewing capabilities either but it is quite cool playing slideshows on other folks TVs! I really like seeing the cover art when tracks are playing, but I am a very sad man!:I

Gismo
25th November 2004, 09:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
I can highly recommend the 60GB iPod photo! I really like seeing the cover art when tracks are playing, but I am a very sad man!:I

Gaj, did you get your iPod photo from the UK?? if not where from and how and how much etc
I sent 3GGG a question about availability, does he supply them

FInally, how easy is it to download all my tunes from the iPod onto my computer, yes, i have enough space for at least 30 gig ;)

3GGG
25th November 2004, 09:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by GAJ
I can highly recommend the 60GB iPod photo! I really like seeing the cover art when tracks are playing, but I am a very sad man!:I

Gaj, did you get your iPod photo from the UK?? if not where from and how and how much etc

FInally, how easy is it to download all my tunes from the iPod onto my computer, yes, i have enough space for at least 30 gig ;)

Alan I have replied via email.

Gismo
25th November 2004, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
Alan I have replied via email.
Got it :)

GAJ
25th November 2004, 10:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Alan, My iPod photo was a gift, ordered from the UK Apple Store on the day they were officialy announced. (Factory laser etched!) As is usual with Apple stuff, you won't get any major savings buying from a reseller although you may save a few quid having one sent from the US at the risk of being nabbed for duty.

Being a Mac geek, I have little experience using the iPod with Windaes, although several applications are available which will allow you to copy your music from an iPod to any computer, these are reviewed on Versiontracker and iPodlounge.

I installed another HD which I use just to store MP3s and photos, makes things easier, you can get 120GB drives for peanuts these days. It means you can have all your MP3s available to play through the PC at anytime and means that you will never have to rip them again! Hours and hours saved!

Gismo
26th November 2004, 02:17 AM
Hmm the 60 gig photo looks very very very tempting :p
<cuts up credit cards>

They are fantastic! Monochrome is soooooo last month!;) Try a letter to santa! Still can't decide whether to sell my 40GB or just to leave it in the car!

Gismo
26th November 2004, 02:43 AM
Found a great little programme that is so Windaes friendly :I for moving files from the iPod to your PC
Go Here (http://www.engadget.com/entry/7166385640773718/)

Gismo
26th November 2004, 09:34 PM
Ok, i'm minutes away from securing the iPod phot 60 gig on eBay for £339 + £32 shipping (No VAT guaranteed)
Me Julie has agreed to surprise me with the latest Altec InMotion iM3 speakers :cool:

GAJ
26th November 2004, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, the no VAT guarantee is a bit of a scam I think. Customs don't charge you VAT, they charge you import duty so you are guaranteed not to have to pay any VAT! The sellers know this and if you try to claim back the import duty they will then explain! You should be OK though, I have never been nabbed for any duty before. Good luck with the auction.

Scottch
2nd December 2004, 05:26 PM
Hod the boat neebs!!

Have you seen THESE!!! (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90301/wo/gt4PhHR0ikuD2bgLuS2iOYuQUsM/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.29.0.1.1.1.1.1.1.0.3)

I know they're chaa-ching but, but, but ...... and they come with a wireless remote and stuff.

I can only imagine the sound quality to be excellent too.

Cheers!

Scott

Gismo
2nd December 2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Gaj, just noticed the changes you made to my post :evil: now i understand what that lanky stretched neck has against us all :blackeye::evil:

Gismo
2nd December 2004, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch
Hod the boat neebs!!
Have you seen THESE!!! (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90301/wo/gt4PhHR0ikuD2bgLuS2iOYuQUsM/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.29.0.1.1.1.1.1.1.0.3)
Yip, too much dough, i got the iM3's, they are excellent, ideal for the travelling man ;)

Gismo
3rd December 2004, 09:26 PM
Ok, got me new 60 gig photo :cool: am moving my music files onto it, i can only seem to transfer one artist at a time, i must be able to do it quicker than that :eek:
Any tips :question: i've got around 4200 songs to move :sleepy:

Monsta Mo Mini
3rd December 2004, 09:31 PM
Do you not have all your files in your iTunes library? Thought it would just be a case of syncing the ipod with it?

Gismo
3rd December 2004, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini
Do you not have all your files in your iTunes library? Thought it would just be a case of syncing the ipod with it?

I didn't keep the library up to date, constantly deleting the music off my computer as i didn't have enough room, now i do
I would have thought i could have selected more than one folder at a time when adding to the library :dead:

Gismo
3rd December 2004, 09:42 PM
Ah sussed it, you can actually use windoze explorer to simply drag and drop ;) whew :)

Wul
3rd December 2004, 10:54 PM
i was just gonna say to use windaes explorer as your ipod will be listed as a removable drive.

be interesting to know how long it takes to copy 40GB over a USB2 connection! Given it takes my USB1 2 minutes to copy 128MB onto my ickle mp3!

GAJ
3rd December 2004, 10:57 PM
It tookabout 15 minutes to move 40GB using firewire. I haven't tried using USB2.

Gismo
3rd December 2004, 11:53 PM
I'm using firewire and reckon it took about 1hr to move the 21 gig :eek: i couldn't drag and drop in explorer to the iPod, i had to drag the folders into iTunes

GAJ
4th December 2004, 06:18 AM
1 hour for 21GB!!!:eek: Weird! I moved 40 GB from my iPod to Heather's iBook and that took about an hour using iPodRip but it only took about 15 minutes to copy them from the iBook to her iPod.

Gismo
4th December 2004, 06:55 AM
Hmm, it's certainly a lot slower than with the 40 gig, ah well, no worries, the 60 gig photo is well smart though :cool: just gotta love the colour display showing the album cover :)

GAJ
4th December 2004, 10:00 AM
yup! now got over 6000 songs on mine, all with artwork!!:p