PDA

View Full Version : New Tyres to replace my 17" Runflats

Wul
18th November 2004, 01:38 AM
OK -so i've read Julz thread and read loads on MINI2 aswell.

my front 17" run-flats will soon need replaced and i'm gonna go for normal rubber - as it's a working car i need a reasonable lifespan from my tyre - given my front runflats have only lasted 9500 miles!!

So what's the opinions on here guys? thinking of Yoko A539's or Falken 512's but not too sure really :question:

seany
18th November 2004, 01:49 AM
my first set of run flats lasted me 14000 miles but my seconed set lasted me much less when i asked at my local dealer they said it was to do with the preasure in my tyres like you iuse my car for work and thought about puting normal tyres on but was not sure my only concern is not having a spare if i change to normal tyres.(una)

The Dogfather
18th November 2004, 01:56 AM
I've got Federals, good performance, cheap and I think they last quite well.

Burple
18th November 2004, 01:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

OK -so i've read Julz thread and read loads on MINI2 aswell.

my front 17" run-flats will soon need replaced and i'm gonna go for normal rubber - as it's a working car i need a reasonable lifespan from my tyre - given my front runflats have only lasted 9500 miles!!

So what's the opinions on here guys? thinking of Yoko A539's or Falken 512's but not too sure really :question:

9500?!?!?!?!?! Mine have lasted 26,000!!! :eek::eek:
(time for some new ones tho.)

Yokos are always good, but I think the Falkens will last longer..
I was sort of considering the Nankang NS-2 215 or 205/45 R17 87V, since they're only about £55 each from http://www.mytyres.co.uk... I know Zimbo has these on his 18s.. and hasn't had any bother with them.
there's also Hankook VENTUS SPORT K104 in the same sizes for about £64 each.. anyone any experience of these??

Wul
18th November 2004, 02:04 AM
Yeh - 9500 but then that what happens when you can't help switching off the ASC+T :p:I mid corner power drifts are a buzz :D

Una - cheers for that - i know what you mean but i've got tyresafe/ultraseal in me tyres and confident it will do the trick in normal tyres too.

Wul
18th November 2004, 02:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

9500?!?!?!?!?! Mine have lasted 26,000!!! :eek::eek:
(time for some new ones tho.)

C'mon now ewan - surely you drive a bit more spirited than an old granny now!?

Craig
18th November 2004, 04:37 AM
Wul,

like you the run flats in Jude's mini were needing replaced (after 16,000 miles - I don't believe lnl with his 26,000....:p) I looked at buying new tyres. Ended up buying new wheels and tyres, so that I can take then to the next mini and put the originals back on. The tyres the garage put on where Falken and they have made such a difference. I don't want to start the "Runflats effect your car's handling and your comfort", BUT THEY DO!

Since we changed the wheels and tyres, the turn in is better, parking is so much easier and the ride is much less crashy ( I can get out after a longish run and not have a sore back now). It has transformed the car. Falkens would get my vote (however only having had them, can't comment on the others).

The Dogfather
18th November 2004, 06:20 AM

Nah, he's still driving miss daisy!

monkimagic
18th November 2004, 08:42 AM
I need a new set of rubber, What happens when you get a flat ? no spare ect.....

Big Col
18th November 2004, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

I think even Miss Daisy chucked it and got out and walked.

MartinSullivan
18th November 2004, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

I need a new set of rubber, What happens when you get a flat ? no spare ect.....

You can buy a BMW compressor and tyre goop or buy several cans of tyreweld or get ultraseal/tyreseal put into your new tyres.

Costco have a deal on packs of tyreweld cans or you can get the ultraseal installed in your tyres at

AOS Supplies Ltd
Units 9 & 10 Badentoy Place
Badentoy Park
Portlethen

Phone 01224 784048
www.ultraseal.biz

Big Col
18th November 2004, 05:40 PM
Hmmmm. That's a point! Hey IAIN? Have I ticked the option for the compressor and goop??? I can't remember...

Julz
18th November 2004, 06:16 PM
there's also Hankook VENTUS SPORT K104 in the same sizes for about £64 each.. anyone any experience of these??

Yup, my car aquaplaned and ended up nose first in a very large tree:(

Burple
18th November 2004, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

I think even Miss Daisy chucked it and got out and walked.

<Slap!><Slap!><Slap!> :mad::blackeye::eek::p:D

Seriously... I'm surprised too! Swapped fronts to rear about 6-7000 miles ago, and the rears (the outside edges anyway) are just about on the limit now, and the fronts are catching up! That's with Dunlop SP Sport 9000 runflats.. :p:p:p:p

KenL
18th November 2004, 07:06 PM
9500 miles, less wheelspins would help Wul :p

My workmate with a Civic Type-R and likes Pirelli p-zero. Says they grip well etc and have lasted way longer than the Bridgestones that it came with.

I've always found Michelin tyres to be really long lasting. I had them on a Punto (stop-it :D) and it still had all 4 original tyres when I sold it at 37k miles. I'd guess they make some pretty good performance tyres as well as bog standard ones but they could be pricey.

If you just want ones for pose value Goodyear F-1 and Toyo Proxes look the business:cool:

Burple
18th November 2004, 07:06 PM
quote:
Yup, my car aquaplaned and ended up nose first in a very large tree:(

<Rubs out Hankook Scribble> :blackeye::blackeye::eek::eek::eek: Ouch!!!
That's them off the list then!! :dead::(

Wul
18th November 2004, 07:23 PM
Hey there Ken - so the hoola ladies let you go then? :p

Well - the Michelins listed were £125 on mytyres so their scrubbed i'm afraid - waiting on a call back from farmer autosave to see what they come up with - blackcicles can do the Yoko A539's fitted for £84.89 each.

Decisons decisions decisions!

Scottie
18th November 2004, 07:55 PM
I would put on Vredestein for the winter.

KenL
18th November 2004, 07:55 PM

Hey there Ken - so the hoola ladies let you go then? :p

Yes the HULA ladies let me come back :approve:

Had a good trip and managed to play plenty golf.

Loads of MINIs over there you know and very smart they look too beside all those horrible pickups and monster SUVs.

Julz
18th November 2004, 07:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I would put on Vredestein for the winter.

Rob had those on the T16, he didn't like them much and he had those on when he had his vertical parking in a ditch incident!!:eek: (we're starting to sound like part of the Colin McCrash family!!;))

Wul
18th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Ok guys - wee update for those of you interested! all based on 205/40 17's

Farmer Autocare:
Yokos for £96.40
Budget tyre for £66.40

Newlife Tyres
Hankook 104 for £78.90
Toyos for £108.90

McConechy's/HiQ
Hankook 102 for £74.38
Hankook 498? for £80.93
Yoko A539 for £71 - COULD BE A WINNER :)

National
Nankan for £72
Avon ZZ3 for £90

Kwik-shfit
Pirelli GT for £83.90

Gismo
18th November 2004, 08:16 PM
Wul, i had a very bad experience with mytyres and will never use them again or advise anyone to use them
McConechy's easily matched the mytyre price without knowing their price ;)
Guess who i'll be using in the future ;)

Burple
18th November 2004, 08:47 PM

Ok guys - wee update for those of you interested! all based on 205/40 17's

McConechy's/HiQ
Hankook 102 for £74.38
Hankook 498? for £80.93
Yoko A539 for £71 - COULD BE A WINNER :)

You're right there!! I could be very interested too!!
There's one just on my way home too!!
(and I know one of the guys that works there from Classic Mini exploits...) :D

The only real reason I was gonna go with the Nankangs was that they were only £49 from Mytyres (but then I'd still have to get them fitted), but on the other hand... I've always loved Yokos, and had them on all but one of my Classics...

If the McConnechy's in Dundee can match that price... I think I'll be going for some Yummy Yokos!!! :D

p.s... I take it that price is for them fitted?

Wul
18th November 2004, 08:57 PM
LnL - all prices fitted, valves etc. :) yup the yoko's are winners for me too - need to call the dude back this alvo to order them up.

Bonnie - the mytyres thing sounds a PITA when you think you've got to arrange a delivery then take them to get fitted - much easier driving in, handing them the keys, having a coffee, flashing the plastic then driving off again - job done :)

Big Gordy
18th November 2004, 11:02 PM
I'm a bit late in arriving at this thread :I but like Julz I had Nankangs on the front of my XR2 and never again:dead: They are p**h:mad: The rubber (if you can call it that) is sooooooooooooo hard that its more like plastic:evil: I had them on for 2 weeks then got rid of them:approve: and bought Yokahama A539's:approve: Now that's a tyre:p
Had a similar problem on the Mondeeho but with Dunlop Sports:blackeye: which I found to be hopeless in the wet. I spun the Mondy early on Sunday morning coming off the M73 where Glasgow zoo used to be. A full 360:blackeye: The scarry bit was that the ramp in question is 3 roads up:eek:which is a bit of a drop :p:D:approve:

Big Col
18th November 2004, 11:14 PM
Heh. I remember you done that a day or so after I done it in my ol' Corolla. It's a bit scary facing the wrong way down the motorway on a flyover with smoke pouring off your tyres. Woulda looked well cool from the outside though.

Duncan Stewart
19th November 2004, 06:14 PM
I'd recommend the Yokahama A539's as well as I have them on my 16s (205/50 x 16) and the grip is amazing.

3GGG
19th November 2004, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I'd recommend the Yokahama A539's as well as I have them on my 16s (205/50 x 16) and the grip is amazing.

That's good to know Duncan, I'm about to have to change my 16" front runflats (13K miles). Will probably do all four, where did you get your Yoko's?

Duncan Stewart
19th November 2004, 09:37 PM
I got 4 from Mini Spares as part of the alloys & wheels package but then had to buy another due to a sidewall damage(after an argument with a pothole!:() which I got from "Mytyres" website - used them several times with no problems. I'm not currently using the wheels due to the harsh ride (rough roads in North East Fife), rear wheels rubbing (7" wide and ? offset) and one wheel damaged (soft alloy!). I've been thinking of buying Genuine BMW 16" alloys & trying the tyres on these so I'd be interested about how you get on. Also thinking of trying 195/60 by 15" tyres to increase grip but retain a decent sidewall height.

3GGG
19th November 2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks Duncan, hopefully I won't have similar problems with the standard 16" 5 star alloys. I just phoned a Hi-Q place and they don't deal in Yokos so they said ( a 'budget tyre'), tried to sell me Goodyear F1s at £99 a tyre - no thanks!

I hate dealing with motor trade - they make up stories all the time - trying to tell me 16" tyres are dearer than 17" tyres when I quoted some of the prices from this thread.

More phoning around I guess.

I am reluctant to go the mytyres route based on other's recent experiences with them.

GAJ
19th November 2004, 10:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

tried to sell me Goodyear F1s at £99 a tyre - no thanks!

I've got these. They are amazing! Treat the wee beastie!!

3GGG
19th November 2004, 10:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

tried to sell me Goodyear F1s at £99 a tyre - no thanks!

I've got these. They are amazing! Treat the wee beastie!!

I know you do- but they are too easily kerbed I hear ;):):D:evil:

I don't think I can justify that cost right now unfortunately especially as I would really want 4 even though only 2 tyres are worn at this time.

Anyone any opinions on Falken ZE512's - Blackcircles have them in my size at £72.49 fitted.

Wul
22nd November 2004, 04:42 PM
David - which Hi-Q was it you called - i'm getting mines from the one in Sighthill (Edinburgh) - called the dude on Friday to order them up - he said they'd be in on Monday - Friday afternoon got a call to say the tyres had arrived! Now that's service - cannae go and get them fitted till Saturday tho!

If you wanna try them out their number is 0131 442 1211 and ask for Damien. :)

3GGG
22nd November 2004, 04:56 PM

David - which Hi-Q was it you called - i'm getting mines from the one in Sighthill (Edinburgh) - called the dude on Friday to order them up - he said they'd be in on Monday - Friday afternoon got a call to say the tyres had arrived! Now that's service - cannae go and get them fitted till Saturday tho!

If you wanna try them out their number is 0131 442 1211 and ask for Damien. :)

It was the place in Leven, I'm calling them back today as the guy who I really want to speak to is back from his holidays today. What tyres did you end up getting? - It does seem that 16" tyres are harder to find at a good deal. I may end up ordering from Blackcircles as their fitting inclusive price is the best so far.

Wul
22nd November 2004, 05:07 PM
David - getting the Yoko A539's in 205/40/17 - 2 for £141 fitted.

Have you had a look here (http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_replacement_t ires) to see if there's a better fitment with a wider range?

3GGG
22nd November 2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks Wul, Yes I had seen the M2 FAQ. I'm looking for 205/50 R16.

Q: You only replaced 2 tyres, are you putting the new ones on the front or the rear?

David - getting the Yoko A539's in 205/40/17 - 2 for £141 fitted.

Have you had a look here (http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_replacement_t ires) to see if there's a better fitment with a wider range?

Wul
22nd November 2004, 08:19 PM
Ah ha - the question that's been going round my head for the last few days too! keep the grippier rubber on the front or switch to back?

my decision was to keep the good rubber to the front as 90% of the time the front end goes rather than the rear. :I

3GGG
22nd November 2004, 08:36 PM

Ah ha - the question that's been going round my head for the last few days too! keep the grippier rubber on the front or switch to back?

my decision was to keep the good rubber to the front as 90% of the time the front end goes rather than the rear. :I

Ok, I just remember driving my first car, an Austin 1100 LOL, I foolishly fitted Town and Country Mud and Snow tyres on the front and left the original crossplies on the rear and first roundabout I came to in the snow I did a 180.

I'm actually toying with just replacing all 4 tyres if the price is right.

Good luck!

KenL
22nd November 2004, 08:48 PM

Good question this. I know Costco INSIST on putting new tyres on the rear. I think the reason for this is that you are more aware with what is going on with the fronts and if the rears slip it is harder to correct.

3GGG
22nd November 2004, 09:06 PM
Just to confirm that the tyre places are all a bunch of sharks - I phoned the place in Leven again and asked the owner this time for prices, he is a friend of a friend and his price for Goodyear F1s has gone from the quoted £99 (by an employee last week) to £110 today. As usual they rubbish any make of tyre they don't have in stock - e.g. Falken, Yokohama. Can give me prices for unknown makes of tyres that he has in the back somewhere...

Wul
22nd November 2004, 09:55 PM
Hmmmmm - sounds like a job for Scooby Doo and his friends David! - quick grab the keys to the mystery machine!

But seriously - it's unbelievable the swing in their prices - farmer autocare were £20 per tyre more than Hi-Q on the Yokos! You'll need to keep phonig round by the sounds of it! :(

3GGG
22nd November 2004, 10:13 PM

Hmmmmm - sounds like a job for Scooby Doo and his friends David! - quick grab the keys to the mystery machine!

But seriously - it's unbelievable the swing in their prices - farmer autocare were £20 per tyre more than Hi-Q on the Yokos! You'll need to keep phonig round by the sounds of it! :(

Well I finally got him to come down on the F1s to £99, he said that the previous quote was wrong and didn't include valves and balancing or some such nonsense, however in the circumstances he would honour the quote.

Actually pricing and memory is not his strong point as he was telling me his previous quote today was £115 when in fact it was £110.

Anyway I'm going for 2 F1s on the rear for now, and this way I will wear out the part worn runflats next so will end up with 4 F1s eventually after another 10K or so.

Whew, what a hassle :blackeye:

3GGG
23rd November 2004, 01:32 AM
Well I got the F1s on the rear this afternoon. In the course of it they scored one of the rims - though of course they claimed it had been kerbed - never been closer than 2 feet to a kerb in it's life. SO BEWARE - always get tyre places to check the rims for scratches BEFORE they start work.

Also I noticed that they have fitted new valves with plastic caps - darn it, lost my metal ones. So that is a bottle of touch up at £8 plus a couple of valve caps that it cost over and above the quoted price.

Booked the car in for another steering column fix as well, it feels very lumpy in the mornings when cold. Have the impression that the steering is pulling to the left so maybe the tracking needs checking.

KenL
23rd November 2004, 05:21 AM
David,

Is it the standard MINI ones you lost? If so they are only 20p each.

I will be telling any garage that I expect alloys not to be marked. If they won't guarantee it take your business elsewhere.

Some tyre places will not do runflats as they are more difficult to get off & on!

3GGG
23rd November 2004, 05:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

David,

Is it the standard MINI ones you lost? If so they are only 20p each.

I will be telling any garage that I expect alloys not to be marked. If they won't guarantee it take your business elsewhere.

Some tyre places will not do runflats as they are more difficult to get off & on!

Yes it was the 20p ones Ken - not too bad then.

Regarding the marking of the alloy wheel (white painted), unfortunately I made the error of not checking the rims with them before they started the work, so it gave them an escape clause as they could claim that they were like that before they started - though very suspicious that it was not pointed to me until AFTER they had removed the RF tyre - go figure. They did manage to remove the 2nd one without any marks.

Sheilz
23rd November 2004, 09:41 AM
HiQ on Willowbank Rd ABZ blankly refused to put any other tyre on my car other than runflats!!
The Costco thing - I know this coz my ex-b-i-law worked there - follows from a multi-million pound lawsuit in the states after a family were wiped out in an RTA. Cause of accident was put down to new tyres on the front of the vehicle.

3GGG
24th November 2004, 03:47 AM
One thing to note when changing tyre sizes from the stock tyre is that the speedo calibration will be slightly different. In my case it now reads another 1.5% fast going from 195/55R16 to 205/50R16. I guess the speedo is on the rear wheel (to avoid wheelspin upsetting the speedo). The speedo reads high anyway in UK cars. If you have a GPS SatNav you can check how much your speedo is out on a straight level road. Mine is about 10 % high!

If you want to check the difference tyre sizes make to speedo a handy site with a calculator is here (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)

Craig
24th November 2004, 04:19 AM
I know it is too late now for you 3GGG, but I have just had to replace tyres on my mini and I got Falken ZE512's for £65 fitted. That is for 215/40/ZR17. They make such a difference from the run-flats and I have to say, apart from the safety aspect I will never consider going back to run-flats. Great service and they even helped me out when one of the jacking mounts was missing. Forsyths of Denny get's my vote for tyres.

3GGG
24th November 2004, 04:47 AM
Good to know that Craig. I'm happy with the GoodYear Eagle F1s on the rear and plan to change the front ones as well, once I have worn down the existing Dunlop runflats. The Tyresafe stuff I put in all 4 tyres today makes me happier as I don't have a spare.

Gismo
14th December 2004, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
you can get the ultraseal installed in your tyres at

AOS Supplies Ltd
Units 9 & 10 Badentoy Place
Badentoy Park
Portlethen

Phone 01224 784048
www.ultraseal.biz
I'll be going here just as soon as i get my new tyres on, has anyone used these guys :question:

MartinSullivan
14th December 2004, 08:48 PM
As soon as I get my wheels back from being metal mated I am going up there. Only know people that have used them for motorcycle tyres but had good reports

Big Col
14th December 2004, 08:50 PM
What's metal mate...uhm...mate:question:

MartinSullivan
14th December 2004, 08:52 PM
Uhm, mate metalmate is a treatment for your wheels to keep them clean mate.

Read all about it here mate (http://www.metalmate.info)

Scottie
14th December 2004, 08:55 PM

Uhm, mate metalmate is a treatment for your wheels to keep them clean mate.

Read all about it here mate (http://www.metalmate.info)

What type of place would put that on would it be a body shop.

MartinSullivan
14th December 2004, 08:58 PM
I believe Deeside AutoValet in Aberdeen is the only place in the NE of Scotland (possibly all of Scotland) that is franchised to do it.

Nenah has it on her old wheels (not sure if she has it on her new ones yet) and I know a few other people that have it and recommend it very highly. I decided to get it put on my new wheels prior to fitting them, to try and get as good a coat as possible on them

Nenah
15th December 2004, 04:26 AM

I believe Deeside AutoValet in Aberdeen is the only place in the NE of Scotland (possibly all of Scotland) that is franchised to do it.

Nenah has it on her old wheels (not sure if she has it on her new ones yet) and I know a few other people that have it and recommend it very highly. I decided to get it put on my new wheels prior to fitting them, to try and get as good a coat as possible on them

I had my old wheels and my new wheels treated - stops the dirt and brake dust sticking and protects the metal from dirt, staining and corrosion . I'm impressed and if, like me, you've paid good money for your wheels, the £40 or so charge is a worthwhile investment. :)

Deeside Auto Valet mentioned to me on Saturday that he will re soon offer a special offer that if you get a full valet (£40 for a mini) you can get MetalMate 1/2 price - £25 I think. :)

X30YES
15th December 2004, 05:24 AM
Metal Mate and products like it cant be bought by the general public for some reason , ie only auto vallet guys get it , as you say 'Sand dancer' its franchised !!!!

MartinSullivan
15th December 2004, 05:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

'Sand dancer' its franchised !!!!

You talkin' to me??? :D

Sheilz
15th December 2004, 08:27 AM
Can you put this stuff on white wheels too? :question:

MartinSullivan
15th December 2004, 05:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Can you put this stuff on white wheels too? :question:

Yeah no reason why not - give Euan of Deeside Autovalet Services a ring on 07790248012

Gismo
16th December 2004, 10:19 PM
Went to AOS in Portlethen, although he does not like to turn work away he advised me not to put the sealant in my low profile tyres :( He reckoned the handling would severely suffer, he reckons he has turned away dozens of cars for the same reason
But, what he also does is the wee mini motor bikes with lawn mower engines, we had a great blether about them, most can do about 40 mph and can even be made road legal :p
he had a lovely harley complete with stars and stripes petrol tank :p:p:cool:

MartinSullivan
16th December 2004, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Went to AOS in Portlethen, although he does not like to turn work away he advised me not to put the sealant in my low profile tyres :(

Whats your tyre size and profile? Doesnt mention it in the literature - but guess he knows best. Really wanted to get it installed for the extra peace of mind. Wonder if the tyreseal stuff has the same problem.

MartinSullivan
16th December 2004, 10:27 PM
Failing that I'll have to get some cans of Holts tyreweld - pretty sure I saw them in Costco for a good price.

Gismo
16th December 2004, 10:45 PM
Tyre size = 215 - 35 - 18
He referred to a chart and showed me the recommended tyre sizes, i can't remember now what the biggest low profile size was :I

3GGG
16th December 2004, 10:54 PM
Probably wouldn't leave any room for the air in them!

MartinSullivan
16th December 2004, 11:28 PM
All it says on the ultraseal site is

"Q - Can Ultraseal be used in all types of tires?
A - Generally Yes!

For the past 31 years, Ultraseal has been utilized in virtually every conceivable pneumatic tire, accumulating millions of miles, in major fleets around the world, without any premature failure or adverse effects to the tires or rims.

Special situations with low profile high performance tires, may require assistance and support from the Ultraseal Technical Department prior to installation."

Wul
17th December 2004, 04:42 PM
They put tyresafe in my new 40 profiles this week no probs and after the first week the shuddering goes as the stuff spreads around the tyre - strange tho! :question:

As for the minimotos alan - when I was a biker (yeh yeh yeh - awaits Big Col! ;)) I read in a magazine about a guy in london commuting through the traffic in one - dressed in his suit!:eek: when he arrived at work - he picked the bike up and stashed it under his desk!:D funny tho the road legal number plate was bigger than the rest of the bike nearly and it had a daytime only MOT as it had no lights!

Gismo
17th December 2004, 05:35 PM
After Sunday's adventure i don't want to get caught out again, i'm prepared to accept some wheel wobble for peace of mind, but, the guy wouldn't put the goo in
Wul,
Have you got that list of installers handy, looks like i may have to visit the big smoke :evil:

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure Wul got his at Seafield Coachworks (http://www.seafieldcoachworks.co.uk/)

Gismo
17th December 2004, 05:44 PM
Pretty sure Wul got his at Seafield Coachworks (http://www.seafieldcoachworks.co.uk/)
Aye but he had a list of installers, give me more options to pick the nearest one to Montrose
You're still the knowledge god though ;)

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 05:46 PM
You're still the knowledge god though ;)

<---- blushes :I

If you find somewhere nearer then let me know, I couldnt find anywhere when I was looking - Cheers :D

You can get a diy kit from Tyresafe DIY (http://www.tyresafediy.com)

MartinSullivan
17th December 2004, 06:09 PM
Has anyone used Superseal (http://www.punctureproof.com/index.htm) their website claims that .....

"Superseal International is the only company to hold a PRODUCT LIABILITY INSURANCE POLICY (which covers in the event of an accident). The company carries a policy of 6.2m Euros. (A copy of which can be seen; at an interview). Superseal International is also, the only company to provide public liability insurance through a block policy, which is available to all franchisees."

Gismo
17th December 2004, 06:26 PM
I've sent off for info and asked if they can treat my car's tyres

Wul
17th December 2004, 07:18 PM
Bonnie - tried to find the list and cannae :( the tyrsafe number in east kilbride always rings out too! there must be somewhere local to you does it - maybe try here (http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=Tyre+Repair+%26+Retrea ding&location=dundee&broaderLocation=&searchType=classic&selectedClassification=&ooa=on) or go for the diy stuff - it's easy peasey - jack the car up slightly - remove the valve stem - squeeze in the gunk and replace/re-inflate!

Gismo
17th December 2004, 07:36 PM
Wul, i got a response from Superseal, they said a guy from Edinburgh will get in touch with me
Suppose i'll have to drive down :p

Scottie
17th December 2004, 08:35 PM

Wul, i got a response from Superseal, they said a guy from Edinburgh will get in touch with me
Suppose i'll have to drive down :p

Let us know how you go. My car will be down that way January getting its bra fitted could get this done aswell.

Thanks.

red_cooper
17th December 2004, 08:56 PM
hey guys the mini is in desperate need of new front tyres the fronts have lasted me 3000 miles were like new when i got it and im needin new ones now. i spoke to the tyre bay at costco (i know that they are particulary picky)but they said that run flat tyres have to be fitted to the std mini 16 and 17 inch rims as the tyre will nod bead correctly?? does any one know contrary?? im a big fan of michelin's as that was what i had on my focus but theyre run flat stuff is for rollers and bently's can any one help??

monkimagic
20th December 2004, 08:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by red_cooper

hey guys the mini is in desperate need of new front tyres the fronts have lasted me 3000 miles were like new when i got it and im needin new ones now. i spoke to the tyre bay at costco (i know that they are particulary picky)but they said that run flat tyres have to be fitted to the std mini 16 and 17 inch rims as the tyre will nod bead correctly?? does any one know contrary?? im a big fan of michelin's as that was what i had on my focus but theyre run flat stuff is for rollers and bently's can any one help??

I am in the same boat, I need new front tyres pronto, where is best/cheap to buy in Aberdeen, normal rubber with then sealant ?

Monki

MartinSullivan
20th December 2004, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by red_cooper

I have heard from dealers that you shouldnt put non runflat tyres on the wheels that were designed for run flats - due to the bead, however there are lots of people on here and even more on Mini2 that have done it with no problems as far as I know.

MartinSullivan
20th December 2004, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic
I am in the same boat, I need new front tyres pronto, where is best/cheap to buy in Aberdeen, normal rubber with then sealant ?

Monki

Best price I got for tyres was Colins Tyres on Farburn Terrace, Dyce, Aberdeen. Give em a call on (01224) 775447

Wul
20th December 2004, 10:47 PM
I've put normal yoko's on my 17" S-Spokes and not had any problems so far - touch wood! :)

3GGG
20th December 2004, 11:46 PM
No problems with my Goodyear F1's on the MINI 16" 5 stars either.

ny152
2nd January 2005, 04:07 AM
Cany anybody recommend a good tyre place in Glasgow to get non runflat 16"s fitted on my 5 stars?

Went in to the local kwikfit and the guy told me they could get them but wouldn't recommend it unless I put a cage under the MINI to carry a spare! I tried to explain before leaving.....

Heather
2nd January 2005, 07:24 AM
Try the kwik fit at crossmyloof. Thye never ask questions......just do what they are told.:p

mgemie
2nd January 2005, 10:21 PM
Have anyone fitted Yokahama A539's to their R90s (17")? In an ideal world i'd like to continue with my runflats however, the handling and prices factors associated with these have put me off...

Wul
4th January 2005, 05:56 AM
Me! No probs so far touch wood Marc! :) Put tyresafe in them though.

3GGG
4th January 2005, 06:04 AM
Wul, I also got the tyresafe stuff in my 16" 5 stars as you know, I am still getting the vibration for the first mile or so ( up to about 50 mph) every time I set off after the car has been standing for a night - just wondered if have you noticed the same thing?

It is fine after that initial mile.

Wul
4th January 2005, 08:38 PM
Yeh - still get it now and then - especially if the car has sat for a few days.

ny152
5th January 2005, 09:58 PM
The Goodyear F1 seems to be a popular choice for 16" wheels - does anybody have any other recommendations? I know you can vary the tyre size a little as well, so what can you actually put on the 16" rims?

Duncan Stewart
5th January 2005, 10:40 PM
Loads of wheel / tyre info available here
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_choosing_whee ls
Hope this helps
I used Yoko A539 205 /50s on my aftermarket 16" wheels - fantastic grip and very smooth ride on "A" roads

ny152
5th January 2005, 11:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Loads of wheel / tyre info available here
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_choosing_whee ls
Hope this helps
I used Yoko A539 205 /50s on my aftermarket 16" wheels - fantastic grip and very smooth ride on "A" roads

Thanks Duncan, think I'll probably go for the YOKO's - mytyres have them at £74.90 each. So will have a hunt locally and see if I can get them fitted in Glasgow :)

Wul
6th January 2005, 12:31 AM
Goldmini - try your local HiQ - got my 2 17" yoko's fitted for cheaper than that just before chrimbo!

ny152
6th January 2005, 02:10 AM

Goldmini - try your local HiQ - got my 2 17" yoko's fitted for cheaper than that just before chrimbo!

Thanks Wul
They're quoting a price of £420 fitted for all four yoko's fitted.

duncan
6th January 2005, 02:22 AM
I had A510's, (or was it 509?) fitted to my old Ashtray, and found them good tyres, but wore really quickly.

Are these 539's any better?

Duncan Stewart
6th January 2005, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini

[Thanks Duncan, think I'll probably go for the YOKO's - mytyres have them at £74.90 each. So will have a hunt locally and see if I can get them fitted in Glasgow :)

I buy my tyres on the internet and the local Kwik fit (Glenrothes)puts them on for £7.99 inc valve & balance - so might be worth trying the Glasgow Kwik fit.

ny152
8th January 2005, 06:32 AM
Has anyone heard of Pirelli Eufori Runflats? KwikFit are doing them offer, all four fitted for £320.96

Sounds like a good deal if the tyres are okay.

duncan
8th January 2005, 06:38 AM

Has anyone heard of Pirelli Eufori Runflats? KwikFit are doing them offer, all four fitted for £320.96

Are they not the rubber fitted to the 17" S-Spokes?

I've heard mixed reviews if they are, but havent heard what they are like if they are on 16" rims

ny152
8th January 2005, 06:44 AM
Duncan,
Checked out some websites and as you say the reviews seems a bit mixed, but most dont appear to rate the grip in snow or 'slippy' conditions. :(

Popped into National Tyres in Paisley Road (Glasgow) today and they said they wouldn't fit non runflats to MINI 5 spokes in case it affected the handling. They did offer to do it if MINI said it was okay. The alternative was to order Goodyear runflats at £170 each (ouch!).

duncan
8th January 2005, 06:57 AM

Duncan,
Checked out some websites and as you say the reviews seems a bit mixed, but most dont appear to rate the grip in snow or 'slippy' conditions. :(

Popped into National Tyres in Paisley Road (Glasgow) today and they said they wouldn't fit non runflats to MINI 5 spokes in case it affected the handling. They did offer to do it if MINI said it was okay. The alternative was to order Goodyear runflats at £170 each (ouch!).

Ouch indeed!
Goodyears at £170 is VERY expensive. They normally come in cheaper than the Dunlops too! Try your friendly MINI dealer, they might surprise you for prices.

I've got a spare set of 16" 5 Spokes that i was planning to put non runflat winter tyres on for my new MINI.
I'll see how you get on before i get some rubber for them.

Heather
8th January 2005, 06:58 AM
Goodyear runflats at £170 each (ouch!).

Ouch indeed! Mine only cost £120 each from newlife tyres in Edinburgh.

ny152
8th January 2005, 07:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

Goodyear runflats at £170 each (ouch!).

Ouch indeed! Mine only cost £120 each from newlife tyres in Edinburgh.

Hi Heather :). Think Fairbairns were about £130 last time I looked. Maybe this is a job for the friendly local MINI dealer.

I'd like to hear what they say about non runflats, i.e. if you have an accident and MINI only recommend runflats etc.

What we need here is a friendly dealer who can offer prices and advice.
<goes off in search of Big Col in case he knows anyone ;)>.

red_cooper
11th January 2005, 07:51 AM
i ended up stickin with the run flats grudged the price big style!!!

im not sure bout the grip that the new tyres are offering weather not been great to try them out less road noise but does that mean less grip i dont know??

went with pirelli's they r usually pretty good with the exception of the p6000 worst tyre ever made!! worse than stunners or fateo's once purchased never again!!!

no 1 i spoke to would fit the non runflat tyres to the rims!!!

guess itll do till she's put down the road for sumthing with a bit more bling!

by the way any one wanting there car VALETED at their house or work my Friend darron mitchell has started up on his own. his business is called black diamond mobile valeting he is very good very thorour and is keen for business any one interested
e mail me for more info.

euan
21st January 2005, 09:29 PM
I've got the Pirellis on mine, lasted 16K on the front but they did get fidgity after a while.

Goldmini - Your deal was a stormer. I was just quoted 326 for 2!!!

Big Col
21st January 2005, 10:19 PM
I just saw this thread! H have you bought your tyres yet? I think I know a cheaper place!

Big Col
21st January 2005, 10:35 PM
Ok. All weegies can try the following 2 places:

Motorsport Wheels : 0141 6433900
Prestige Tyres : 0141 644 5533

Burple
21st January 2005, 11:51 PM

Yup... they're the other runflats as opposed to the Dunlops...
Flick's got them on her 17" Runflats...
they feel ok... nothing like Yokos... but ok..

Bear in mind that I've almost got 30K miles out of a set of dunlops!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fook knows how!!!

ButI'll be going with the Yokos (prob 539s) very soon.. :D

Speaking of which... how's your Yokos standing up Wul? How's the wear going?

duncan
21st January 2005, 11:58 PM

Not on the 16" rims Ewan.
The other standard tyre for the 16's is a Goodyear.

Don't know what the options for the 15's are though.

GAJ
22nd January 2005, 12:02 AM

...and the Goodyear NCT5s.

duncan
22nd January 2005, 12:10 AM
Here's (http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_factory_wheel s) the list of factory fitted wheels and tyres

euan
22nd January 2005, 12:11 AM
What's the best deal people got for 205/45/17 run flats?

Burple
22nd January 2005, 01:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Not on the 16" rims Ewan.
The other standard tyre for the 16's is a Goodyear.

Don't know what the options for the 15's are though.

Ooops.. yeah, that's what I meant. They're for the 17's.. Doh :p

Wul
22nd January 2005, 05:13 AM
LnL - will have a neb at them tomorrow for you (too dark and cold now ;)) but they feel much better and give better grip in the wet than the standard pirelli run flats did!!

euan
25th January 2005, 10:19 PM
Wul, did you have a look at the wear?

Also, anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't change the fronts to the Dunlop and run the Pirelli on the rear until they wear out? Does it affect the running of the car i.e, stability etc?

After much phoning, I can get the Dunlops for 130 quid, Pirelli for 122 each (inc vat & fitting) which is a good 50/60 quid less than most people were quoting me.

Wul
25th January 2005, 10:41 PM
Welllllllll.............. 2500 miles in and they're looking good :) No real signs of them heading to an early grave - still probably about 10-12mm to go to the wear indicators :D

I've got the yokos on the front and the pirelli run flats on the back and not had any probs - i'll not be buying a runflat tyre again - sticky rubber and tyresafe all the way for me :)

Big Gordy
25th January 2005, 11:04 PM
Recomendation is to ALWAYS put the new rubber on the back first:approve: so I'm told by my garage guru;) I think its to do with the fact that if you lost front grip it will just drift a bit wide but if you lose the back its usually an excursion into the shrubbery:dead::blackeye: :p:D:approve:

Wul
25th January 2005, 11:12 PM
But what about when the backs still have LOADS of grip left on them too :)

euan
26th January 2005, 12:48 AM
OK, here's one. If I put non-runflats on the car, and I go to trade it in, will it affect the dealer's price? (Lets presume he notices)

sleepyrascal
26th January 2005, 12:51 AM
mmm cant put non runflats on mini alloys can you?

The Dogfather
26th January 2005, 12:52 AM
Come on, a MINI salesman notice that, if they are all like Iain then no chance!

I'm sure he'd ignore it to get a sale anyway!

Wul
26th January 2005, 02:08 AM
It depends on how hard they need the sale I guess - Wouldn't buy new tyres if I was about to trade-in anyways! :I

Wul
26th January 2005, 02:09 AM
Oh - and sleepy - yes you can put normal tyres on MINI runflat alloys. :D

duncan
26th January 2005, 02:18 AM

It depends on how hard they need the sale I guess - Wouldn't buy new tyres if I was about to trade-in anyways! :I

Damn right, thats another reason why i thought it was time for a new Mini.

And JC's did check the tyres - he left his fingerprints in the brake dust on the alloys!

euan
26th January 2005, 02:48 AM
I had actually got a price for my MINI last week with a view to a trade in for a JCW, but after a blat up to York at the weekend decided I didn't really need it (plus, I'm supposed to be saving money), so new tyres are a must.

So, I think I've decided that I'll stick with Run flats, and unless anyone can convince me that running Dunlops on the front and Pirellis on the back is a bad idea, they'll be fitted on Saturday. Finally managed to get a quote of 130 quid per tyre inc vat, fitting, etc.

Wul
26th January 2005, 04:38 AM
Euan - Your gonna pay £130 for one RF tyre and I got two "better" ones for a tenner more! I know what i'd do! :eek:

euan
26th January 2005, 06:10 PM

Euan - Your gonna pay £130 for one RF tyre and I got two "better" ones for a tenner more! I know what i'd do! :eek:

I know. Depressing isn't it. Wul, you've got R90's as well, there wasn't a problem with putting non-RF on them? My other issue is that I do a lot of motorway miles so I don't want a puncture and be stuck in Manchester any longer than I need to be. Does this gel stuff work?

euan
26th January 2005, 06:11 PM
quote:
And JC's did check the tyres - he left his fingerprints in the brake dust on the alloys!

They were probably checking the life left in the tyre and not that they were RF or not.

Wul
26th January 2005, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
I know. Depressing isn't it. Wul, you've got R90's as well, there wasn't a problem with putting non-RF on them? My other issue is that I do a lot of motorway miles so I don't want a puncture and be stuck in Manchester any longer than I need to be. Does this gel stuff work?

Euan - yes the normal tyres fitted the R90's no probs - they were a teeny bit tighter to get on as i'd wen't for a 205/40 instead of a 205/45 but they still had no probs and the marks on the rims were only plastic which cleaned off straight away :)

Tyresafe works a treat - put it in my RF tyres too (don't forget it costs the same to get one repaired than tyresafe in 2 tyres - if you can find a place to do the repair that is!!) twice had a puncture in a RF tyre prior to tyresafing them and the stuff sealed the puncture without the need for a repair for the life of the tyre.

For ref also tyresafe will seal a puncture up to 10mm dia but in theory you won't really know about it. It won't stand up to a blow-out but then again neither will a RF tyre.

If you are still worried - get tyresafe in and buy a can of tyreweld and keep it in the rear cubbies as a safeguard.

I really like the idea of RF tyres but they are far too expensive to be justifiable on eg a MINI ONE and the sacrifice in handling and grip need addressing too for that price!! :(

euan
26th January 2005, 06:35 PM
Wul, your winning me over, need to think this through some more. What about the rears? Can I run RF on rear and non-RF on front?

Wul
26th January 2005, 08:14 PM
That's what i'm doing at present :) but still get tyresafe in all 4! But then you were gonna spend £260 on two tyres anyway so that would get you all 4 done - ooh decisions decisions!! :p

Wul
26th January 2005, 08:16 PM
Also euan - just ask LnL, 3GGG and anyone with a non mini rim what they are running on now too! Think you'll find your answer in there :)

euan
26th January 2005, 09:00 PM
How expensive is Tyresafe to get done?

I think I'd stick with 2 tyres - We are saving to buy a house at the moment and my girlfriend banned me from buying gig tickets at 13 quid each last night on that basis.

Why did you fit 205/40/17 instead of 205/45/17?

Wul
26th January 2005, 09:07 PM

How expensive is Tyresafe to get done?

About £30-35 for all 4 wheels.

Why did you fit 205/40/17 instead of 205/45/17?

Because I could!:p:evil:

Nah - prefer the look of a slightly narrower profile tyre - even if it is at the expense of a bigger gap to the wheel arch.:clown:

Big Gordy
26th January 2005, 09:08 PM
quote:Why did you fit 205/40/17 instead of 205/45/17?

Cos Wul likes a really "HARD RIDE" don't you Wul ;):D :p:D:approve:

Wul
26th January 2005, 09:23 PM
Compared to the "horse and cart" feel of the run flat tyres gordy the 40 profiles are a silentnight mattress!! :p

Big Gordy
26th January 2005, 10:03 PM
I know:eek: I've just put the standard 15"shers back on and the ride quality is like being in a Jaguar compared to running it with the 17" runflats:( Downside of course is it now looks naff with steel wheels and wheel trims:dead::disapprove: :p:D:approve: