PDA

View Full Version : Mangled Mini

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 05:07 PM
:(:(:(:(

smashed my mini at the weekend, an old woman pulled right in front of me!

anyone got advice on gettin her repaired? took her to parks as per mini emergency service, but there attitude was terrible, so she's now in henry bros, does anyone have any advice or help in speedin things along etc!

:(

The Dogfather
17th November 2004, 05:09 PM
Usually go with your insurance companies preferred repairer, it's in their interest to get your car back on the road ASAP.

Big Col
17th November 2004, 05:17 PM
Really sorry to hear that Andy. :(

BDM's already given the best advice for speeding things along. So long as their repairer isn't crud.

MartinSullivan
17th November 2004, 05:17 PM
Gutted for you Andy, hope you get her back on the road ASAP

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 05:33 PM
yeah, im gutted . . .

the wee old woman got charged with careless driving, doesnt help me though!

when i took it to parks, they wouldnt even come outside to look at it, and told me smarmily 'courtesy cars are subject to availability'
so, i got her recovered to henry bros instead.

how do you post pictures here? do they have to be elsewhere first?

KenL
17th November 2004, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Usually go with your insurance companies preferred repairer, it's in their interest to get your car back on the road ASAP.

In theory it should be quicker but my last car went into the insurer's place and they took more than 2 weeks to fix the car. They even gave me lies about how the parts supplier couldn't tell them when the bits would arrive.

I would go with who you are comfortable with which for me would be a repairer recommended by your dealer who will do a job preserving your paintwork/corrosion warranty.

Big Col
17th November 2004, 05:35 PM
They have to be posted elsewhere first I'm afraid CT. At least there wont be any argument over who was at fault so your no claims isn't at risk. Not much of a bright side I know. :disapprove:

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 05:46 PM
Col,

im under the impression that you lose no matther whose fault it was?

at least, i hope to get my excess back one day (550:eek:)

anyone know what kinda courtesy cars henry bros give out?

:dead:

Duncan Stewart
17th November 2004, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it fixed soon & get a decent courtesy car.

Nenah
17th November 2004, 06:05 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss? If there was only Mini Sympathy cards we could send..!

Who are you insured with? I used to be legal rep for 2 UK insurers MVA claims (until I saw the light!!) so may be able to give you some tips...?

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 06:20 PM
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/18885/49145_thumb.jpg (http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/18885/49145.jpg)

this time?

Julz
17th November 2004, 06:31 PM
Ouch!!:( Sorry to hear about your mini! At least you're ok though!:clown: I would advise getting your car repaired by who you want! When the 911 got bashed, the insurance company wanted it sent to a Porsche dealer, but Rob wanted it repaired at a local garage. He got quotes from them that the insurance company was happy with (with a little help from a classic car repairer who quoted more than the local repairer quoted!!;)) which meant he could go and harass the guy every day!!
Depends on your insurance company regarding your excess, the 911 was bashed in september, back on the road in december and we got the excess back in April!!:disapprove:

Good luck!!:clown:

Big Col
17th November 2004, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

Col,

im under the impression that you lose no matther whose fault it was?

at least, i hope to get my excess back one day (550:eek:)

anyone know what kinda courtesy cars henry bros give out?

EH??? No way! :eek: You shouldn't be paying anything as it was the other driver's fault! Why are you paying Excess? You only pay excess on repairs if it was you that was at fault and your insurance company is paying for it. They shouldn't be. It should be the old biddy's insurance company. Am I wrong on this folks:question:

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 07:17 PM
hhmmm,

my insurance want the excess before the will repair the car, and i will supposedly get it back in the future. . .

also, get this, i was 24 when i took the policy out, turned 25, 12whole days later, and now i need to pay a 'young driver excess' of 250 on top of the 300!, and i've been 25 for months!! scam :dead:

Gismo
17th November 2004, 07:24 PM
The excess is paid by you, up front, but, once liability has been sorted out and you are proved to be innocent then you can claim your money back from their insurer
It's just another form to fill in and, believe it or not, some people can't be bothered to claim it back and so the insurers get to keep it :eek:

KenL
17th November 2004, 07:38 PM
As to whether you will lose your no claims or not it is not totally clear. Someone once ran into me and I was obviously not at fault. The insurance company were a bit reluctant to make any promise as to whether or not I would lose any. They mentioned that if they were still in discussions about the accident when my policy was up for renewal then I could lose some! In the end I was OK as they agreed blame solely on the other person in time. Remeber it is a no CLAIMS bonus not a no FAULT bonus!

I've got uninsured losses back a couple of times, each time it took six months even though both cases were obviously not my fault as I was stationary both times!

CooperTrooper
17th November 2004, 07:47 PM
ken,

yeah, thats my understanding, you need to pester hell out of them to get the excess back.

also, they ask you if you have had any claims OR losses when you take the policy out, not just CLAIMS.

mini done well btw, an old rover we hit, and the bumper bonnet and radiator came away.

Burple
17th November 2004, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the smash...

at least you've got someone accountable. The wee speeding, £$^"£$^"£^ Neds that smashed into me legged it, had no insurance and the car *might* have been stolen! - They were also seen chucking beer bottles away as they legged it.. Police didnt even catch any of them!
SO my insurance has gone up a horrible amount this year, cos they had no-one to claim against, even tho I was totally not at fault. :disapprove::mad::mad::mad::disapprove::dead:

Smurf
17th November 2004, 09:32 PM
Really sorry to hear you've had an accident CT.

Hope you get it all sorted out to your satisfaction.
These things are never easy......

Big Col
17th November 2004, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Sorry to hear about the smash...

at least you've got someone accountable. The wee speeding, £$^"£$^"£^ Neds that smashed into me legged it, had no insurance and the car *might* have been stolen! - They were also seen chucking beer bottles away as they legged it.. Police didnt even catch any of them!
SO my insurance has gone up a horrible amount this year, cos they had no-one to claim against, even tho I was totally not at fault. :disapprove::mad::mad::mad::disapprove::dead:

And there you go talking about YOU again! Self self self. ;)

Babaza
17th November 2004, 10:17 PM
When my 206(i know!) got rear-ended last year I was put in touch with helphire.co.uk. They arranged the repair(after asking my preferred garage), they also met me at the garage with a Focus hire car and paid the excess on my behalf. They make their money by charging the other party.

DNV122
18th November 2004, 06:06 AM
CT - looks like a mere scratch - will brush up well when the complete bonnet is replaced (wooosh - there's a few grand gone !)

Like Babaza, you can call people to make the third party pay for the use of a hire car (I used swift-rent-a-car.co.uk) and they pick-up the tab and make the claim. They have Mini's for you to use. If you use them, give them my name and they may come around quicker !

You should not have to pay for the excess until you pay for the repairs and then claim them back via your insurers legal company.

CooperTrooper
22nd November 2004, 08:52 PM
:(:(:(

£2600 worth of repairs needed to her!

hope she doesnt take too long gettin fixed . . .

Fontal
22nd November 2004, 10:00 PM
Ouch!!

Perfect time to buy a carbon bonnet with KJ see his post in the mods section

Hope it all gets sorted soon I know what it's like to have a bashed MINI :(