PDA

View Full Version : How fast

Tam1314
16th November 2004, 07:26 AM
Hi all, what kind of cars can the standard CooperS beat
Have any of you had races with cars and beat them

The Dogfather
16th November 2004, 07:32 AM
Tam, depends on what you're talking about, handle or just out and out power.

The MCS is the fastest car ever tested through a cone slalom, the test was designed to measure handling and chuckability!

macblob
16th November 2004, 07:37 AM
A lot of cars will trash the standard cooper s in a straight line drag race but as Bad Dog says not a lot will keep up in the twisty bits

Scottie
16th November 2004, 07:50 AM
I've trashed a Golf GTI and a Seat Leon Cupra 1.8 20v Turbo on the A9. Mini Cooper S works but now I have my 275bhp bring it on Subaru WRX

Gismo
16th November 2004, 08:40 AM
Sorry to be the negative bad mod here :blackeye: it's bad enough to commit a road traffic offence and worse still to post it on a public forum
I guess for everyone's best interest all cases were on private roads ;)

Sheilz
16th November 2004, 09:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I've trashed a Golf GTI and a Seat Leon Cupra 1.8 20v Turbo on the A9. Mini Cooper S works but now I have my 275bhp bring it on Subaru WRX

that's some power!
:eek::D:D:D:D

Julz
16th November 2004, 05:04 PM
I like waving bye bye to Civic Type-Rrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!:D At Crail, of course!!:clown:

The Dogfather
16th November 2004, 05:12 PM
Power corrupts!

If we are talking about value for money a standard chili pack Cooper with a good driver is a awesome combination on a twisty road. If the road was really twisty I doubt anything would keep. Of course if there was a few long straights then a more powerful car would close the gap..... bout only till the next set of corners.

Fontal
16th November 2004, 05:39 PM

275bhp

:eek:Details:question::question:

Duncan Stewart
16th November 2004, 05:49 PM
On the twisty road I drive to work I have kept up with (a severely pi**ed off! :cool:) much faster cars (Audi TT quattro, Scoobie WRX, Merc AMG, etc). As Paul says they could pull away on the straights but I caught them at the next corner.
Off course this road is so twisty we never exceeded 60mph and were not racing ;)
It can be embarassing in a Cooper on a straight road / motorway when Vectra or something can keep up with you :I.
I don't agree with Brian that there are lots of cars faster than a Cooper S - not many cars can beat it's 0 - 60mph & top speed on paper, let alone on the real road.

MartinSullivan
16th November 2004, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
The MCS is the fastest car ever tested through a cone slalom, the test was designed to measure handling and chuckability!

I think it was the American magazine Road & Track that do the slalom test - here is a link to the league table Road and Track Slalom Summary (http://minisoforlando.org/slalomsummary.html)

Unfortunately the S is no longer at the top of the league table - but its still well up there - the original results must have frightened some of the top manufacturers into making some serious modifications to push them up the rankings

macblob
16th November 2004, 05:55 PM
I was only talking about straight line speed of the standard cooper s Duncan not works ones and not on twisty rds :p
Never said anything about my car in particular being quicker as it would probably loose in a straight line against an S too, not much more power and heavier, but Civic Type R's etc would give the standard cooper s a good run for its money IMHO

MartinSullivan
16th November 2004, 06:01 PM
The Road & Track "slalom" is described in their summary table as follows: "...the slalom, run through eight cones spaced at 100-ft intervals, samples both controllability and grip during transient handling."

The Dogfather
16th November 2004, 06:02 PM
What's the SMG bit on the Z4 and M3 is that a tuned version?

MartinSullivan
16th November 2004, 06:05 PM
SMG - sequential manual gearbox

seany
16th November 2004, 08:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

275bhp

:eek:Details:question::question:

lookinhg for details to

Burple
16th November 2004, 08:59 PM
We quite happily kept up with an M5 on a very twisty private road in my Cooper a while back... on the straight bits he disappeared, but on the twisties... he was my biatch! :D
He even locked up a few times trying to get round corners, so he was trying too!!
And half the time his eyes were on his mirror checking if we were still there!! ;);):D:D

He cuaght up with us, but when I let him past for a play, he couldn't get away... Wonder what it would have been like if we'd had Flick's S that day??? hmmmmmmm..... ;)

Big Col
16th November 2004, 09:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

but when I let him past for a play

Translation : When he skinned past you. ;)

The Dogfather
16th November 2004, 09:36 PM
No if you're racing (on private roads mind) always let them through that way the find the speed cameras first (not that there's many speed cameras on private roads:p!)

Duncan Stewart
16th November 2004, 10:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

I was only talking about straight line speed of the standard cooper s Duncan not works ones and not on twisty rds :p
Never said anything about my car in particular being quicker as it would probably loose in a straight line against an S too, not much more power and heavier, but Civic Type R's etc would give the standard cooper s a good run for its money IMHO

I was talking about standard Cooper S also - There may be many possible cars you can buy that are quicker on paper but you rarely see any on the road. (never made any reference to your car? - I like Seats :D thinking about a TDi next to replace the Fiesta)
I personally love the "giant killing" ability of the Cooper - people expect an S to be really fast but are very pi**ed off when a Cooper keeps up with them :approve:

macblob
17th November 2004, 12:51 AM
Duncs wasnt u that mentioned the seats, not worth arguing about it anyway, sorry if I annoyed anyone, that wasnt the intention

Big Col
17th November 2004, 01:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Duncs wasnt u that mentioned the seats, not worth arguing about it anyway, sorry if I annoyed anyone, that wasnt the intention

It was so ya rabble rouser! ;)

macblob
17th November 2004, 04:32 AM
Doh !!! caught again big yin

Duncan Stewart
17th November 2004, 05:46 PM
Oh! arguments, I love a good banter :p;) Don't be daft Brian, you're not upsetting anyone :D