PDA

View Full Version : Gear nob removal

AberdeenMini
11th November 2004, 09:39 PM
Anyone know how to remove it?
Mine has been tapered round the sides now for a while so i was away to buy another one. Tried taking it off but it wont budge. Any suggestions?
Cheers people :)

MartinSullivan
11th November 2004, 09:47 PM
Knock into reverse gear, grip your knob as tight as you can :) and pull upwards - but make sure you keep your face out of the way as some people have suffered nasty injuries by being hit by their knob in the face

Gismo
11th November 2004, 09:54 PM
As Martin says, be careful you don't hit yourself in the face with your own knob :p:eek::I

AberdeenMini
11th November 2004, 09:55 PM
Thank you for that explicit definition, i will try it later :)

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 09:56 PM
This isn't meant to be funny, is it?
:D:D:D:D:D

AberdeenMini
11th November 2004, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

As Martin says, be careful you don't hit yourself in the face with your own knob :p:eek::I

Thanks for the advice bonni but i am used to it...;):cool::D

Sheilz
11th November 2004, 10:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Unfortunately not but both Bonnie and I know that this has come up before and always leads to heaps of knob jokes!!!

I was actually going to offer show Steve how to pull his knob in Duthie Park on Saturday but decided against it

Why?
:D:D:D:D:D:D

MartinSullivan
11th November 2004, 10:09 PM
What were you going to replace it with Steve?

You want one of these

Whalen Shift Machine (http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/home.htm)

AberdeenMini
11th November 2004, 10:17 PM

What were you going to replace it with Steve?

You want one of these

Whalen Shift Machine (http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/home.htm)

Nice are you selling like?

I was after a momo one from Hallfords.

MartinSullivan
11th November 2004, 10:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by AberdeenMini

Not selling mine, its one of the best mods on my car. You can order them from the site and have any engraving you want on it. If you look on Mini2 there are heaps of threads showing pics of peoples knobs whalens

For example Whalen Pics (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42882&highlight=whalen+pictures)

AberdeenMini
11th November 2004, 10:29 PM

Not selling mine, its one of the best mods on my car. You can order them from the site and have any engraving you want on it. If you look on Mini2 there are heaps of threads showing pics of peoples knobs whalens

For example Whalen Pics (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42882&highlight=whalen+pictures)

Very nice but i dont think id spend that on a new knob em i mean whalen. Planning on spending aboot 40 squid or thereabouts.

Scottie
11th November 2004, 10:30 PM
A wee tip but you'll know this already.

Once original gear knob is removed take off the gater thing just clips out from the bottom. Put rubber band over gear stick put gater back on (hard to explain) twist rubber band around gater from inside fold back over and refit. You will be left with a gater that fits snug under your new knob.

monkimagic
13th November 2004, 02:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Happens to the best of us

ny152
13th November 2004, 10:15 PM
Steve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36679&item=7933149213&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Nice MINI logo on the top as well.

Starky
14th November 2004, 02:15 AM
Anybody see the article in Sept.'s edition of BMW mag., it was from www.rogueengineering.com basically it said anything over 8oz in weight causes excess wear, The Whalen is 18oz's if I remember correctly, I don't know if there's any substance to this or not but the Whalen's a nice piece of engineering and I'm keeping it on. :D

Big Col
14th November 2004, 04:18 AM
Hmmm. That'll be what was an originally not very funny joke totally done to death then? Big G must be so pleased his 15 year old daughter is a member of this site.

Julz
15th November 2004, 08:51 PM
Totally agree Big C!! Can you folks maybe tone it down a bit, I know it's all very humourous (and has been for the past 3000 times this sort of question has been asked) but please remember that this site is also frequented by younger folks!!:disapprove:

<lives up to stroppy title!!>:sleepy:

Gismo
15th November 2004, 10:19 PM
Just rummaged through a few previous posts on the off topic thread where loads of inuendo exist already :blackeye: no questions raised

Big Col
15th November 2004, 10:34 PM
Well obviously I'm not a mod and as a result am not responsible for ensuring the site content is suitable for all visitors. I was just voicing an opinion.

Gismo
15th November 2004, 10:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I was just voicing an opinion.
If you find the topic inappropriate just let me know and i'll remove it :) since i am a mod with super human powers ;)

Big Col
15th November 2004, 10:48 PM
I don't find the topic innappropriate. It's the relentless corruption of the topic that is inappropriate, in my extremely humble opinion. Whether or not it is deemed appropriate for the site is up to the mods, not me. It is the mods that run the site and decide what kind of site they want it to be after all. I personally would find any topic in which people disagree with me inappropriate, but that'd be most topics as they're a shower of bullys on this site! :)

AberdeenMini
15th November 2004, 10:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Hmmm. That'll be what was an originally not very funny joke totally done to death then? Big G must be so pleased his 15 year old daughter is a member of this site.

ok BIG col. This topic is obviously causing you some distress, could the moderators delete it please?

Big Col
15th November 2004, 10:55 PM
Hold on a mo. Just to clarify, it's not the topic that's causing me distress. To be honest none of it is distressing me in any way. I hear far worse every 5 minutes in my work. I just don't think the innuendo is entirely appropriate considering how young some of the menbers on this site are. It was just an opnion. :(

MartinSullivan
15th November 2004, 10:55 PM
ok BIG col. This topic is obviously causing you some distress, could the moderators delete it please?

Steve, staying on topic - did you manage to get a replacement after we saw you on saturday?

AberdeenMini
15th November 2004, 11:04 PM

Steve, staying on topic - did you manage to get a replacement after we saw you on saturday?

I went to halfords and bought a sparco one. Got home and tried to fit it but i couldnt get it to fit. I had a problem with the bottom part, it wouldnt go down far enough. There seems to be a ridge that wouldnt let the bottom part of the 'gear stick' down far enough. Thus i couldnt get it down far enough to stick the pins in. Im going to take it back and get the one Goldmini Alan mentioned above, it looks good.

MartinSullivan
15th November 2004, 11:09 PM
Im going to take it back and get the one Goldmini Alan mentioned above, it looks good.

People have got Sparcos to fit - see over on Mini2, but I think the one Goldmini is much nicer.

seany
18th November 2004, 02:46 AM
sean had no problem changing mine as it used to come off in youre hand when you were trying to put the car in reverse it used to just push back on (una)