PDA

View Full Version : !!! New Mini Member 1 Year On !!!

highvoltageuk
5th July 2023, 07:54 PM
Hi Everyone....I own a 2012 mini one diesel Ice Blue 2 door..... Had some teething troubles but most of the experience is positive. Most annoying is the BMW computer/ECU always reminding you to put seat belt on, lights etc....DAB radio is a great bonus but can be hit & miss with signal issues....Tyres have been replace with winter tyres after the first snow fall it mainly seemed like a snowplow....Tried to replace the steering wheel with a 3 spoked wheel with controls only to find they dont work unless you activate it on a computer annoying again. This years MOT went straight though....Drives well & stops well and MPG is very good......Only bug is the damn battery light comes on after a minute and shuts the car down so you cant listen to the radio whilst parked....Hope this is an insight to mini drivers and look forward to your comments....Enjoy life

MINI William
5th July 2023, 09:26 PM
Welcome to NMS

badwolf340
6th July 2023, 06:40 AM
:welcome:

Liz M
6th July 2023, 09:40 AM
The shutdown when parked should not happen so swiftly, should be in the region of 10 minutes before the dashboard message comes up with a 1 minute warning. Do you know if your car is still on the original 2012 battery? In today's modern cars, with all of the background electronics humming away, automotive batteries are only good for a little over 5 years in the car before a change is optimum.
Welcome and enjoy NMS.
Jim M

highvoltageuk
6th July 2023, 01:17 PM
Thank you LIZ M... I do believe it is the original battery but i do not have any starting issues always starts on the button....Sometimes it behaves itself but short lived.....

Liz M
6th July 2023, 05:10 PM
Starting is not the issue in a modern car, the starter motor works down to quite low voltages. The problem is the voltage drop with the age of the battery affects the car's sensitive electronics. Depending on the manufacturer (of the car) the manifestation can be anything from spurious dashboard messages, to full on shutdown / limp home mode.
Jim M

millemanuk
7th July 2023, 09:42 AM
Welcome. I share your frustration with the DAB and while not perfect, I have improved ir a bit. Previous car was an MX5 that I retro fitted with a Dab Radio and didnt want the winscreed aerial. Bit of shopping around and I tried the short aerial kit, which is fitted to the latest version. Seems to have a better gain than the stock and only £18 with delivery

Crombers
7th July 2023, 10:30 AM
Welcome to NMSland :thumbs up:

highvoltageuk
7th July 2023, 09:22 PM
Thank you for all the WELCOMEs