PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Suspension

Davo
3rd June 2023, 02:36 PM
I know this has probably been done to death like most other forums, but I’m looking for a lower suspension set up for the JCW. Bear in mind, I’m 54 and can’t be doing with hard rides, so looking for the best option, be it springs or coil-overs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
3rd June 2023, 05:21 PM
Springs are definitely cheaper and can give good results,the JCW Pro coilovers are excellent and if you are lucky can be picked up second hand and are just as good as a new set whilst being cheaper and have great reviews

Davo
3rd June 2023, 05:49 PM
Springs are definitely cheaper and can give good results,the JCW Pro coilovers are excellent and if you are lucky can be picked up second hand and are just as good as a new set whilst being cheaper and have great reviews

Had a look, £1.5k is quite expensive, how do you rate Tiens?
Had eibach springs on my Astra van, found those quite harsh tbh

Track Ali
3rd June 2023, 06:15 PM
The JCW Pro option is for the F-series but since it's just a KW setup it would be easy enough to replicate on an R56.

From memory, the R56 JCW did have the option from the dealer of optional JCW lowered suspension. Might be worth checking first of all whether your car has it and, if not, whether that might be the sort of drop you're after.

Failing that, there's loads of aftermarket options. Tien is well established with a great reputation but as with all big companies it will depend on what end of the range you're looking at. The cheaper end will target a more limited list of priorities and you may find that ride quality isn't high up the list. The more expensive options will offer more refinement, adjustability and performance so it might be best to contact some of the companies directly and see what they recommend.

:thumbs up:

badwolf340
4th June 2023, 06:51 AM
Just noticed you have an R series :blush:

badwolf340
4th June 2023, 06:53 AM
Had a look, £1.5k is quite expensive, how do you rate Tiens?
Had eibach springs on my Astra van, found those quite harsh tbh

Was actually going to go with Tein’s on the Clubvan but in the end went with BC RC which are good but have metal pillowball mpounts which make them noisy

Davo
4th June 2023, 11:57 AM
Was actually going to go with Tein’s on the Clubvan but in the end went with BC RC which are good but have metal pillowball mpounts which make them noisy

What about these?

https://www.modamini.co.uk/product-page/hsd-coilovers-bmw-mini-r56-one-cooper-s-06-13
Think it was MT I seen a few have them

badwolf340
4th June 2023, 09:22 PM
What about these?

https://www.modamini.co.uk/product-page/hsd-coilovers-bmw-mini-r56-one-cooper-s-06-13
Think it was MT I seen a few have them

Certainly look the part and not very dear ,with some coilover kits you don’t get topmounts but looks like you do with these ��

Davo
6th June 2023, 02:58 PM
Bit the bullit, they should arrive on Thursday/Friday, and in black and gold, with adjustment extenders, and 6/5kg springs.

Yeah they come with adjustable top mounts, pre assembled as well

badwolf340
6th June 2023, 06:16 PM
Bit the bullit, they should arrive on Thursday/Friday, and in black and gold, with adjustment extenders, and 6/5kg springs.

Yeah they come with adjustable top mounts, pre assembled as well

Good news let us know how you get on ,

Davo
6th June 2023, 06:54 PM
Good news let us know how you get on ,

Will do, probably do the rears at the weekend, fronts can go to the pros to get set up with the tracking

badwolf340
6th June 2023, 07:52 PM
Will do, probably do the rears at the weekend, fronts can go to the pros to get set up with the tracking

Davo
10th June 2023, 02:47 PM
Where is the best place to get the coil overs set up properly guys?

Track Ali
10th June 2023, 04:39 PM
Automek in East Kilbride should be able to sort you out. They have plenty of experience setting up track cars. :thumbs up:

Davo
10th June 2023, 06:24 PM
Automek in East Kilbride should be able to sort you out. They have plenty of experience setting up track cars. :thumbs up:

Cheers bud, it’s more for road use, doubt il ever track it, but there’s always a 1st time

Track Ali
11th June 2023, 05:12 PM
No problem. They should still be able to sort you out so might be worth giving them a bell. :thumbs up:

Davo
11th June 2023, 06:39 PM
Il give them a call Monday, be after my holiday before I fit them now anyway

Davo
13th June 2023, 03:00 PM
Il give them a call Monday, be after my holiday before I fit them now anyway

Been trying them for a few days and not getting an answer

badwolf340
13th June 2023, 08:24 PM
Been trying them for a few days and not getting an answer

You could also use our club sponsor B&M Centre Yoker Glasgow who we have used many times for servicing and fitting many sets of coilovers and set up ,tell them you are a member of NMS

Davo
13th June 2023, 09:45 PM
You could also use our club sponsor B&M Centre Yoker Glasgow who we have used many times for servicing and fitting many sets of coilovers and set up ,tell them you are a member of NMS

Magic, il give them a try in the morning, fortunately I know Yoker well

badwolf340
14th June 2023, 06:36 PM
Magic, il give them a try in the morning, fortunately I know Yoker well

Davo
19th June 2023, 05:44 PM
Before I get home and get the suspension on, what size of spacers would be best on it? I’m thinking 15 Mm all round without getting to the illegal stage [emoji16]

badwolf340
20th June 2023, 05:52 PM
Before I get home and get the suspension on, what size of spacers would be best on it? I’m thinking 15 Mm all round without getting to the illegal stage [emoji16]

Davo
20th June 2023, 05:52 PM
[emoji106]

Davo
3rd July 2023, 02:28 PM
Going to get the coil overs out to prep them, been advised to grease them first tho and no idea what grease to get! Any one help?

badwolf340
3rd July 2023, 07:17 PM
Going to get the coil overs out to prep them, been advised to grease them first tho and no idea what grease to get! Any one help?

If you are talking about greasing the adjustment threads be careful as this will only attract road grime and dust which leads to problems later on ,you can get gaiters to protect said items but regular cleaning will do away with any adjustment problems.

Davo
3rd July 2023, 07:18 PM
No worries, thanks bud

Davo
20th July 2023, 08:47 PM
Suspension is on, bit too low for my liking but il get it raised over the weekend hopefullyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230720/93dba3570e7b4686eb68d0907d7ba364.jpg

MINI William
25th July 2023, 02:10 PM
Pleased its on, as you say its sitting a bit low.

Davo
25th July 2023, 07:39 PM
Can feel every pebble on my scrotum, not a good thing at my age!!
Reckon 35 Mmmm all round should be a better height, and might even get the spacers on with the wheels out of the arches, tho figment was actually good, wheels went on with out any issues

Davo
13th August 2023, 05:21 PM
I take I need to loosen the pinch bolt that holds the front shocks in to allow it to spin ?