PDA

View Full Version : NMS Perthshire Adventure Sunday 4th June 2023

Track Ali
17th April 2023, 10:53 AM
Hi folks, we're planning another run for Sunday the 4th of June.

The plan is to meet and start at Broxden Services in Perth before taking the scenic route through to Braemar Castle and the town of Braemar where we'll stop for lunch before enjoying some more twisting and exciting roads in the afternoon.

Our lunch stop will be at the Braemar Highland Games Centre which has been kindly organised by Jim and Liz.

After lunch we'll jump back in our MINIs and take the A924 across towards Aberfeldy before dropping down towards Crieff and our final destination of Crieff Visitor Centre. Here's hoping there's a few scones left by the time we arrive. :thumbs up:

Start Time: 10am for a 10:30am start
Start Location: Broxden Services, 2 Broxden Ave, Perth PH2 0PX

Expected Arrival at Lunch Stop: 12:30pm
Lunch Location: Braemar Highland Games Centre.

End Time: Crieff Visitor Centre, Muthill Rd, Crieff PH7 4HQ
End Location: 4pm

Run Distance: 130 miles

MINI Runners:

1. Ali & Arwen
2. Dave & Barb
3. Andrew
4. William & Megan
5. Brian & Christina
6. Liz & Jim (lunch only)
7. Charlie
8. Niall & James
9. Matt

DaiB
17th April 2023, 11:51 AM
Add us please Ali and we would prefer to finish in Banchory as we have relatives in Stonehaven who we could visit after. Booking tables for lunch sounds like a good idea too, we’d be up for that. Cheers, Dave and Barb.

DigitalLemming
17th April 2023, 02:51 PM
I'd prefer it if the run came back down as well, otherwise I'd just stick the sat nav on and do the boring road home.

MINI William
17th April 2023, 08:16 PM
I’d prefer a route back down the road as well, if not like Andrew I would just come back via the motorway etc

Crombers
17th April 2023, 10:52 PM
Currently on shift but waiting to see if any swaps available

cuddles
18th April 2023, 06:06 AM
I would prefer a route back down

Liz M
18th April 2023, 10:25 AM
Put Liz and Jim M down as probable please - see below:

As we live in Banchory, we could help with any aspect of the run that needed assistance, such as a scenic route back south if required (I have them from the Jaguar Runs I organise). I think we are okay for the date, Sunday 4th of June, but will confirm once a few other things clarify. Obviously would not come down to Perth to make the start, but would hope to join you for lunch. If you wanted alternative suggestions, we would recommend the Raemoir Garden Centre, which has both a restaurant and a café and the food is really good - also can arrange group parking so the cars are all together. There is also opportunity for some retail therapy if that were required.

Perhaps other Northeast members could come out for the lunch too?

Jim M

Track Ali
18th April 2023, 12:06 PM
PM on its way Jim. :thumbs up:

Charlie&Zee
18th April 2023, 04:23 PM
I am up for it too, I would prefer a return route as well please.

Liz M
19th April 2023, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

Meant to say that I believe there is actually a Classic and "Interesting" Car Show in Perth City Centre on Saturday, Jun.03.23 if anyone were interested. Could allow folks to make a weekend of it by attending the show on Saturday and then with an overnight stay, be ready for the early start on Sunday Morning for Ali's Run to Banchory.

I am down to attend the Perth event in the Jaguar, I was there in 2022 and it was really fine to be at a car show and not parked in a muddy field. Last year it took place on Tay Street, alongside the river, and the street was closed off to through traffic. A good crowd of visitors, plus there was bands playing throughout the day as well. Plus the sun was shining.

Jim M

Track Ali
21st April 2023, 06:32 PM
After trying to scout the route out today I think we may have stumbled across a better bit of road so we've amended the route details on the first page. :thumbs up:

Liz M
28th April 2023, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone, if there are any other NMS members in the Northeast of Scotland and wanted to meet up in Banchory and convoy out to Braemar to meet the others there for lunch and a chat, add yourself here and I will work with Ali to sort out the logistics.

Jim M

Steve666
10th May 2023, 01:29 PM
Hi, Is this for fast Minis as we only have a 1.5 and not the fastest driver, I would be keen to register an interest if possible however cannot confirm till nearer the time if that works?

Track Ali
10th May 2023, 02:58 PM
Not at all. It's for fun MINIs so every MINI is welcome. :thumbs up:

Kirst_jcw
10th May 2023, 06:07 PM
On my own wee journey around Scotland to England on the 4th (Inverness to Bristol via Glasgow) so can't make this one.
Looks class though, have a great time everyone!

Liz M
22nd May 2023, 02:28 PM
Okay, so in conjunction with Ali, we have arranged for the lunch stop on this Run to be at the Duke of Rothesay Pavilion at the Braemar Highland Games Centre on Sunday, Jun.04.23. For info:

We recently stopped at the Pavilion with the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club (see photo), on our way to our Spring Break at Crieff Hydro, and I have since spoken with Hazel, the Manager of the Visitor Centre and she would love to welcome the Minis there on Sunday, Jun.04.23. The new visitor centre, complete with a café / restaurant, at the field of the Braemar Gathering is very welcoming to car clubs, the pre-war Aston Martin Club will be visiting the day before our NMS visit.

On our Jaguar stop on Sunday, we had a soup, sandwich and sweet treat type lunch, with tea, coffee and soft drinks also available. We were allowed to park the cars together on the apron of the field and there is no other location in Braemar where there would be sufficient space available to park a collective of cars for photo opportunities. Also, it is only a few minutes’ walk back into the village for anyone who may want to visit the other eateries or attractions after we get parked.

Please note that in Ali's original post, he mentions going to Braemar Castle, but this is closed temporarily for renovations, so the stop and parking will be at the Duke of Rothesay Pavilion. Directions: As you enter the village from the south, over Cairnwell, when you arrive at the left slip that takes you into the village proper, turn into the village and follow the main street all the way to the bottom. When you get there, it ends in a small roundabout, with a takeaway in front of you, bear left into the Games Field. As you approach the Games Field, there is an arch in front of you and the Pavilion on your left. Bear left to enter the car park but then immediately bear right to get onto the grassy apron of the Field.

All being well, we will meet you on the final run in and lead as appropriate.

Track Ali
22nd May 2023, 02:49 PM
First post updated. Thank you Jim for arranging this for us all. :yes nod:

DaiB
23rd May 2023, 08:59 AM
Sounds great, looking forward to this. Thanks Ali and Jim.

Davo
23rd May 2023, 11:58 AM
Did the route up from Perth 2 years ago white the Astra owners club, unfortunately there were only 3 showed up, good road on the way up, plenty twist’s n turns, fast on the way back down!

Unfortunately I rarely make the weekend meets, as according to my boss, the railway can’t do without me! Any mid week runs I’d be up for tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI William
23rd May 2023, 12:34 PM
looking forward to this.

NRM1979
23rd May 2023, 10:50 PM
Sign me up!
Got the car back a few weeks ago with the fully reconditioned engine and is running beautifully.

Have followed the running in guidance so looking forward to stretching it's legs properly!

Niall

Steve666
24th May 2023, 12:26 PM
Hi folks, we're planning another run for Sunday the 4th of June.

The plan is to meet and start at Broxden Services in Perth before taking the scenic route through to Braemar Castle and the town of Braemar where we'll stop for lunch before enjoying some more twisting and exciting roads in the afternoon.

Our lunch stop will be at the Braemar Highland Games Centre which has been kindly organised by Jim and Liz.

After lunch we'll jump back in our MINIs and take the A924 across towards Aberfeldy before dropping down towards Crieff and our final destination of Crieff Visitor Centre. Here's hoping there's a few scones left by the time we arrive. :thumbs up:

As we've still to finalise the run layout, our start time and total run distance are still TBC.

Start Time: 10am for a 10:30am start
Start Location: Broxden Services, 2 Broxden Ave, Perth PH2 0PX

Expected Arrival at Lunch Stop: 12:30pm
Lunch Location: Braemar Highland Games Centre.

End Time: Crieff Visitor Centre, Muthill Rd, Crieff PH7 4HQ
End Location: 4pm

Run Distance: 130 miles

MINI Runners:

1. Ali & Arwen
2. Dave & Barb
3. Andrew
4. William & Megan
5. Brian & Christina
6. Liz & Jim (lunch only)
7. Charlie
8. Steve (confirm)
9. Niall

So sorry however I will be working so unable to attend. Have fun! :D

DigitalLemming
29th May 2023, 06:43 PM
Let’s hope this weather holds until Sunday

Track Ali
29th May 2023, 08:12 PM
Here's hoping Andrew. :thumbs up:

On another note, I've heard from local NMS informants that there might be a road closure on part of the A93 on the 4th of June. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the local road authority about the planned diversion but with less than a week to go we might need to play this one by ear. As a result I won't be posting the usual prepared run notes as part of the route is currently up in the air.

Update:

I've heard back from the local road authority and the planned closure takes effect from 8pm on Sunday the 4th so we should be fine. :thumbs up:

NRM1979
29th May 2023, 10:02 PM
Not sure how the catering is working on this so just thought it worth saying that my youngest is coming along for the ride. So you can add James alongside myself.

DaiB
1st June 2023, 02:10 PM
Ready for Sunday, let’s just hope the bugs keep out of my way on the journey up to the starting point!!!

Track Ali
1st June 2023, 07:03 PM
Hi folks I've uploaded some run notes in the form of Google Map PDFs. They are available in the first post.

Apologies the run notes aren't in the usual NMS format but it looks like there's yet another road closure we'll need to drive around and I won't be able to recce the run in person again ahead of Sunday's outing. With that in mind I believe Google Maps will be the most helpful solution.

Looking forward to another MINI adventure with you all! :thumbs up:

DigitalLemming
4th June 2023, 07:27 AM
Ali I’m gutted I won’t make this now, not been well since Wednesday and was hoping it’d clear up by today but no luck.

Hope everyone has a great day, the weather and roads should be brilliant.

Track Ali
4th June 2023, 07:36 AM
No worries Andrew. Hope you feel better soon. :thumbs up:

Liz M
4th June 2023, 04:35 PM
Good to see everyone today who made it along on the Perthshire Adventure, hope the second half to Scone Palace was as enjoyable. See you all soon.

DaiB
4th June 2023, 05:48 PM
Another great run today in glorious sunshine. Thanks to Ali for organising and Jim and Liz for sorting out lunch and brilliant parking.

MINI William
4th June 2023, 09:46 PM
A huge thanks to Ali for organising todays run and to Jim and Liz for organising our lunch stop. Brilliant roads, brilliant people added with brilliant cars!! What more can you ask for.

I’ll get some pictures I took posted tomorrow

NRM1979
4th June 2023, 10:03 PM
Yes, thanks Ali, Jim and Liz for all the organising. A great day. Fantastic Weather, Great Roads and Lovely People.

Ali - offer in haste, repent at leisure! James already looking forward to a flight in the GP sometime.......

Niall

Charlie&Zee
4th June 2023, 10:15 PM
Thank you Ali for organising and Jim and Liz for the lovely lunch. I had a lovely day with some amazing roads, cars and people. Looking forward to the next one.