PDA

View Full Version : Is aircon repair economic?

idlerider
20th June 2022, 08:15 PM
2010 Mini One Clubman. Aircon has failed completely. Local garage says all seals, compressor and possibly condenser needing replaced - no idea of cost but says it's a main agent job.
My question is, given the age of the car, can anyone tell me from their own experience (I have none) whether this is likely to be worth doing?

MINI William
20th June 2022, 09:17 PM
What is it doing or not doing? Can you hear the compressor kick in when you press the button?

idlerider
20th June 2022, 10:49 PM
I think the compressor 'works' - it just has faulty (perished) seals.

MINI William
20th June 2022, 11:44 PM
May just be the seal then. It’s not unusual for air conditioning to need regassed after time especially if it’s not been used

idlerider
21st June 2022, 12:06 AM
I think it needs a bit more than that, William - my mechanic used a gas sniffer and there was gas leaking from all the air vents in the cabin, the compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier and expansion valve.

badwolf340
22nd June 2022, 06:58 PM
If as you say it’s had a complete failure it’s probably not worth the time ,effort and money to fix , if you can’t live without it ,the only option is to have it fixed whatever that entails

MINI William
22nd June 2022, 10:31 PM
I think it needs a bit more than that, William - my mechanic used a gas sniffer and there was gas leaking from all the air vents in the cabin, the compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier and expansion valve.

If that’s what your mechanic is informing you is wrong with it, you’ll need to get it fixed as per his advice or live without it

idlerider
26th June 2022, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I think we'll live with it.