PDA

View Full Version : Tried & tested, effective ways to sell a New Mini?

Tahra
9th November 2004, 06:44 PM
Hi folks.

T. and I have agreed that our lovely MCS, Scooby, is to be sold.

Was wondering what tried-and-tested ways of selling a s/h New Mini there are and how effective they are.

I'm thinking:

(1) Advertise here: Done - http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3012
(2) Autotrader/Top Marques - worth it?
(3) Try national rags (Scotsman, etc.) - pricy?
(4) Local rags (Fife Free Press, ho hum) - waste of time?
(5) Sign in the window of the car - pointless?

Basically, this will be the first car I've neither given away, scrapped nor traded, and so I've not tried private selling before.

Any tips and pointers much recommended.

John

Big Col
9th November 2004, 07:05 PM
In some of the car mags there are adverts from dealers looking for people to sell them MINIs as the demand is so high. It might be worth just going to a couple of dealers and seeing what you'd get:question: Just a thought.

KenL
12th November 2004, 05:22 PM
I tried and failed to sell my MINI ONE before getting the Golf. I was probably asking just slightly too much for it.

There are loads of MINIs available now compared to when I first got it. Then dealers would only have one or two ex-demo cars to sell at close to (or even more than :disapprove:) new cars. You should still get excellent money compared to most other cars but believe the prices will have softened slightly.

MINI dealers are unlikely to offer you a realistic price. Dunedin offered £7750 for mine - thanks :mad:. After I traded it in it went back to Eastern who had it for sale at £10250 :eek:
I needed to sell it for £9000 to make it worth my while giving me a couple of hundred over how the deal was working out.

Anyway onto selling it. Suggest Autotrader first but put a note saying NO BROKERS as they are a total PITA! I must have got about 20 calls and also emails from them. They all claim they have a buyer waiting for your car but first you have to pay them - yeah right!

Also use all the free options open to you like ad in window, tell as many people as possible to spread the word. There are also free websites where you can advertise it. Put it on MINI2 as well.

If these don't work then consider the local newspaper even though it could be expensive.

Have a look at www.minicherished.co.uk to see what dealers are selling for. If you want a sale expect to sell your's privately for about £1k less than they are robbing people for :D. Don't sell yourself short though by grabbing the first offer you get if you are not happy with it.

Good luck.

The Dogfather
12th November 2004, 06:09 PM
I tried selling the Audi A4 through Autotrader only got one phone call and the car was £500 under book price.

Could be because new cars are so easy to buy with finance nobody was interested in a 8yo Audi though! It also could be down to our location in Turriff we're 35 miles from the nearest city.

3GGG
13th November 2004, 01:04 AM
I sold my wife's Saxo easily with an online ad in Autotrader. Getting someone to come and see the car is the greatest hurdle. Don't waste your time or money with the Scotsman, Evening News.