PDA

View Full Version : Modern mini drivers

Sinky67
25th October 2021, 03:55 AM
In 1990 I got into minis,bought 3 for £110 off of 3 different folk as they all had summit I wanted,1 had an allegro 1700 rebored with big carb also shell was minted with new subframes,other 2 had cracking interior alloys,straight thru exhaust etc so built a mini using a Haynes manual by a miracle it started n looked minted but noticed like bikers n beetle owners,every1 waved,it by broke down,they would stop and help but got a cooper s 2yr ago n noticed new mini drivers don't wave or acknowledge other mini drivers n it's something I miss,there used to be a comradery but sadly now it's gone,I miss they days

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

badwolf340
25th October 2021, 07:31 AM
For a lot of people who buy MINI’s these days it’s a lifestyle choice and not much to do with the love that some people have for mini/MINI …has the wave gone …not when we are all out on a run ,but as you say most people don’t wave back or indeed know what you are doing

MINI William
26th October 2021, 07:24 PM
As above they seems to have disappeared over the years. Only time we get eaves now is if another MINI comes across us on a run etc

chillax
26th October 2021, 08:03 PM
LOL we'll get this going again then! I'll be flashing the lights and waving at every MINI we see lol. If you see a wee red MCS R52 flashing and waving, don't be scared, it's only us!!
To be honest, it's something I miss from having the Mk1 MX5, used to always (well, most times) get waves from other MX5's. Even used to get waves from old Porsches and old MR2's for some reason lol Even an original Lotus Elan flashed the lights at us!

Sarie
27th October 2021, 06:03 PM
I parked up next to an identical JCW mini in Morrison's car park the other day and the driver was still sat in his car. He turned, scowled at me, then reversed out of his space and parked his car a few sections back :sad::lol:

AlanJCW
28th October 2021, 02:18 PM
I’m a newbie to Mini ownership however I’m very familiar with the Mini wave..

I’m going to start flashing at other MINI’s and see if we can get it back :bigwave:

My last make of car got ‘waves’ certainly not all the time but the vast majority of time, it was an Abarth 595 - I put it down to lack of them on the road however I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t actually waved at some standard Fiat 500’s by accident due to the similarities of the pre face lift models :rolleyes:

Sinky67
2nd November 2021, 08:06 PM
I miss the comradery from old minis,think I'll start waving n try n get it started with new minis

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crombers
3rd November 2021, 02:28 PM
The wave was on the wane when I entered the MINI scene in 2004. A lot of the founding members of NMS (including those who had migrated from MINI2) who were in their MINI's since the beginning in 2001 stated that it was commonplace in the early days. However as production ramped up and the MINI became a common site on our roads the wave diminished as a result unfortunately.

However when out on a run with NMS we still get loads of waves from young & old alike especially when they see a convoy of MINI's travelling through towns & villages :hand: :thumbs up: