PDA

View Full Version : Oil & servicing

Steve74
6th November 2004, 10:00 PM
Just got my car back from Dunedin - clutch noise still there after a bled master cylinder, adjusted heat shield. Its going in for a new clutch in January under warranty!

Funny thing though, in 7500 miles it used 2 litres of oil but the dipstick was still showing just enough oil. Is that a lot? Also was told that as I only get between 21 and 24mpg that it needed servicing 1000 miles b4 recommended!

What a car, 7500 miles, been in 7 times for faults, two of them outstanding - clutch noise and stumble. I've given up on getting the rattles fixed. At least the trade in price was £15,900, only 3k depreciation in a year! Think i will be choosing another car in Feb/March as although the guys in service are a friendly bunch I dont want to be visiting them every other month! Time to sort out some test drives in Jan! A shame really as I really like the way the car drives and handles.

john
6th November 2004, 11:28 PM
The harder you drive it the earlier it needs serviced because the computer works it out on fuel used;)

Thats why my first sevice was 6000 miles then 21000 miles and its just been serviced again:blackeye:

Steve74
7th November 2004, 06:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

The harder you drive it the earlier it needs serviced because the computer works it out on fuel used;)

Thats why my first sevice was 6000 miles then 21000 miles and its just been serviced again:blackeye:

I liked how James at Dunedin put it - he said it "I see you've been using your car to it's full potential" - I liked that one - I have been ripping the @rse off it though! May as well get my money's worth! ;)

6000 miles - surely that deserves a special mark in the service book!

lightbody
8th November 2004, 04:38 AM
It'll use a lot of oil early on. My last MINI gobbled oil up until about 7000 miles, then never needed another drop added.

My current MINI is now 5 weeks old, has covered a whopping 1300 miles, and i've yet to find anything at all wrong with it...

Mini Me
9th November 2004, 05:15 AM
<whats that over there>runs in other direction...............................:p

Wul
9th November 2004, 04:25 PM
Steve - Done over 9k in my S now and never had to put a drop of oil in it yet! oil level on the dipstick is still 3/4 full!

As for the clutch rattle - what are the symptoms - i've noticed a "tinkling" sounding rattle when moving slowly with the clutch in - only hear it when near a building and the sound "bounces" back - ie going up a driveway!

Big Col
9th November 2004, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

At least the trade in price was £15,900, only 3k depreciation in a year!

Was this sarcastic Steve:question:

Big Col
9th November 2004, 04:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Steve - Done over 9k in my S now and never had to put a drop of oil in it yet! oil level on the dipstick is still 3/4 full!

As for the clutch rattle - what are the symptoms - i've noticed a "tinkling" sounding rattle when moving slowly with the clutch in - only hear it when near a building and the sound "bounces" back - ie going up a driveway!

Yeah but you drive like an old lady don't you wul? ;)